Monroe County Alabama Ferry - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

Monroe County Alabama Ferry

I know this road is off the beaten path but does anyone know about AL CR 49 (per MS S&T) where it crosses the river. (N31 43.598 W87 28.179). On the east bank the road name changes to CR 17. I got lost (on purpose) in that area once and waited on the west bank awhile for the ferry I could see on the other side to come and get me. Seeing no sign of life on the ferry and realizing it was a Sunday and thinking finally the ferry probably didnt run on Sunday, I back tracked and went around. My wife was thrilled to get out of there as she swore she heard banjos dueling.
Can anyone give me any info on when the ferry is in operation? Google wasnt any help.
I am going off to Ezells in a week or so and being the nice guy I am wanting to take my wife on a cruise, I would like return via the ferry if possible.
Thanks
Btw, Goggle Earth calls the road CR 40.

Mike
IBA #433
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 7:23 pm

Hey Mike, if it don't look no better than this....you may want to try another route... I don't think they are in operation any more...but you may want to call Ezell's, they could tell you or the Monroe Co. Sheriff department, would be the best bet... last time I was down that way, it was gravel road...and looked like the picture...

http://www.arts.state.al.us/actc/wat...terways15.html

I checked the corp of Engineers site for Alabama Rivers no luck...

BTW Hwy 41 north from Frisco City is good road...

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #3 of 4 Old Feb 26th, 2006, 6:51 am Thread Starter

That looks like the place Don. Thanks for the link. I havent been able to turn anything up on it yet. Next week I'll make some phone calls.
Btw, someone on another list suggested that Ezells was damaged in Katrina. Do you know if they are open? I'll call them to be sure.
Thanks

Mike
IBA #433

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 26th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjac
That looks like the place Don. Thanks for the link. I havent been able to turn anything up on it yet. Next week I'll make some phone calls.
Btw, someone on another list suggested that Ezells was damaged in Katrina. Do you know if they are open? I'll call them to be sure.
Thanks
They should be, but a call is best... most of the damage that far North was minor Wind damage..compared to Gulf Coast... they should be up and running by now.. have good ride,

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in