Need riding gear advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 6:33 am Thread Starter

Question Need riding gear advice

After selling my 03 last year and jettisoning most of my gear I find myself in need of some new stuff.

Before, I had a car and my bike now I've only got the bike and limited use of HoneyBunny's car. I work from home about 95% of the time but I do need to attend an occasional business meeting. I just have some basic stuff right now - Frog Toggs, First Gear Overpants, BMW Airflow Jacket.

The options I'm leaning towards are:
A suite: Olympia Phantom one piece (can't afford a stitch) or
A jacket: Tourmaster Transition 2 or Joe Rocket Alter Ego or First Gear TPG Teton

Most of my riding is around town, running errands, going to the gym, movies, etc. With just a few trips out of state.

So what would you do? And more importantly why? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 9:46 am

Re: Need riding gear advice

Gruivis,

I'm just down the road from you in Marietta and my work/ride situation is about exact to yours. I use a First Gear Mesh Tex jacket for summer and down to about 70 degrees then switch to a Tourmaster Sabre (similar to the Transition but fits me better) for the winter. For pants I wear kevlar jeans most of the time but for colder long rides I have a pair of First Gear HT Air overpants. These pants are completely mesh and work great for summer where I can just where shorts underneath and in winter with a wind blocker insert. If it a really cold long ride then the long johns come out as well and Santa will soon be treating me to an electric liner. I'm fickle about gloves and do have 4 pairs, all geared to different temperatures. I usually keep at least 2-3 pairs on the bike. With this set up and in our weather, I ride comfortably year round in temps from 30 to 100 degrees.

Also, locally if your a member of AME riding group, She Rides just posted a 15% off coupon on the AME website. If you have not been there yet, it's a nice shop of women and mens riding gear in Alpharetta.

Good Luck,
T

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 8th, 2010, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Hey Tom, I had a chance to simulate your setup this morning. Just so happens this morning I had a client meeting. I think using a two piece is the way to go.

Used my First Gear overpants to cover the dress slacks and then used both my Airflow Jacket along with the Frog Toggs jacket to cover the shirt. It worked out just fine with the temp around 45 when I left home. Once there I changed out of the riding gear and into a business overcoat before going inside. It was just a little chilly changing in the parking lot.

So the only real change I have to make is buying a winter jacket, probably in a size larger to accommodate the liner and a shirt.

I didn't have a good solution for the shoes, so I wore a dress shoe with an extra pair of socks. And I guess for meetings around town that should work, but if it's gets much colder I would probably need something to cover the feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 9th, 2010, 9:11 pm

The right jacket will help in the winter. A couple of years ago I went for a 3/4 jacket that fits well and is really warm. Like I said I'm added some heated gear so that I do not have to bundle up with 4 layers. For boots, I wear TSX Air Gortex. These are more of a summer boot but they work fine for me in the Winter with just a change in using heavy hiking socks.

So for the time when I do have to visit an office, I wear my jacket and over pants and boots. Computer bag is in the top case, dress shoes and sport coat in the side bags. At the office, helmet and jacket go in the top case, boots and overpants in the side cases and I can walk into the office looking normal. It's actually easier in the Winter than the Summer, easier to stay warm than to not sweat.

Now if I can just figure out what to do about helmet hair.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300
post #5 of 5 Old Nov 9th, 2010, 10:43 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Talking Re: Need riding gear advice

Save up a few more pennies and buy the Aerostitch... it is worth it weight in gold.
Custom fit and it can be repaired. It is worth the wait before you spend a ton of cash on other gear.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in