Love Bugs Flying in Florida - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

Love Bugs Flying in Florida

Just a heads up that the Love Bugs are back. I caught them on I75 about an hour outside of Tampa last week. This morning on the return trip I headed out at 4am and pretty much missed them. I've been told that they don't start flying until at least 80degrees.

When I did hit them they were'nt too dense, not sure if it's because this season is not too bad or if it's still early in the fall outbreak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 8:11 pm

Re: Love Bugs Flying in Florida

Remember that Bounce Dryer sheets with water and a drop of Dawn will bust them bugs.. just don't let them sit on the bike too long.. you need your headlights..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 11:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Peroxide in a spray bottle works much better.
Just spray it on them, it dissolves them to a soapy foam, wipe off with a damp rag, no scratches.
That sounds really disgusting. I've never seen these critters; heard of them, but have never been in Florida at the right time or whatever. Y'all can keep them.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 6:41 am

It happens two times a year down here. Sometimes so thick that you actually have to pull over and clean them off to see through a cages windshield.

If you are not in a hurry, after a daily ride, they also come off with a 15 minute soaking of just water. I try to never leave them on too long as they will etch into the paint and plastic.

If you've got them on your car's windshield and it starts to rain, it can be a real bear to see out. Wipers just spread the gook around if it is thick. Always a good idea in Florida to have a good scrub pad and some water for roadside cleaning during the season.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 8 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
That sounds really disgusting. I've never seen these critters; heard of them, but have never been in Florida at the right time or whatever. Y'all can keep them.
Here you go Howard. This is from one patch that I hit yesterday on the way home. Maybe 200 yards or so, and they were very very sparse compared to what I've seen in the past. I've had windshields go from almost completely clear to barely able to see in just a few miles. On a naked bike you can slow down to about 35 mph and they will mostly zoom around your faceshield rather than splat. Kinda weird 'cuz that happens at about an inch away.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #6 of 8 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 8:01 am

My typical LOVE BUG clean up is to soak an old beach towel with hot water, lay it over the affected area for about 1 minute and simply wipe off the slimy goo! Works great on the bike and the car. The only problem areas are all those little cracks and crevices like around the LT headlight. That's an area where Dave's H2O2 technique might have a real advantage.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #7 of 8 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 8:07 am

Thanks for reminder Dave. I bet it cleans radiators too.

Will try it next visit home.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 8 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Here you go Howard. This is from one patch that I hit yesterday on the way home. Maybe 200 yards or so, and they were very very sparse compared to what I've seen in the past. I've had windshields go from almost completely clear to barely able to see in just a few miles. On a naked bike you can slow down to about 35 mph and they will mostly zoom around your faceshield rather than splat. Kinda weird 'cuz that happens at about an inch away.
That's just wrong. Ugh.

OTOH, getting rid of several months of snow and ice in exchange for that? May not be a bad trade!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in