Looking for route suggestions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Looking for route suggestions

Planning a trip to northern Georgia from Nebraska first week of June and I am looking for route suggestions from Eastern Nebraska. trying to avoid interstate as much as possible. Would be interested in knowing of road constructions and routes to avoid. Will be spending a week in the Hiawassee GA. area so looking for local routes / loops to consider also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 9:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine
Planning a trip to northern Georgia from Nebraska first week of June and I am looking for route suggestions from Eastern Nebraska. trying to avoid interstate as much as possible. Would be interested in knowing of road constructions and routes to avoid. Will be spending a week in the Hiawassee GA. area so looking for local routes / loops to consider also.
Check out the Curve Cowboy Reunion forum, Tom Gallo and Jeff Eagan have put up several sites and maps and places to go and do in North Georgia.

Here a few links, but the CCR forum the latest.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4497

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1622

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4434

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 7:23 am
kip

roads to travel

I dont know about roads from Nebraska to GA but once you are in Hiawassee here are some not to miss:

State Rd 75 south out of Hiawassee down to Helen......nice mountainy curves and u can have good lunch in Helen.....

Hwy 28 .....from Franklin NC to Highlands NC......you can weave your way over to Franklin easy enough from Hiawassee and Hwy 28 is one of the most beautiful drives in the southeast......

In Ga......Come out of Hiawassee to Blairsville and take 129 south towards Cleveland.....13 miles out of Blairsville turn right onto Wolf Pen Gap road.....take Wolf Pen Gap Rd all the way through to Suches at Hwy 60......go south on 60 and take the Richard B Russell highway east back over to Helen......then take 75 back north to Hiawassee.....that ride covers the best roads north Ga has to offer......

kip
99 LT

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip
In Ga......Come out of Hiawassee to Blairsville and take 129 south towards Cleveland.....13 miles out of Blairsville turn right onto Wolf Pen Gap road.....take Wolf Pen Gap Rd all the way through to Suches at Hwy 60......go south on 60 and take the Richard B Russell highway east back over to Helen......then take 75 back north to Hiawassee.....that ride covers the best roads north Ga has to offer......
Kip,
You got confused on the routing. You won't get to the Richard Russell going south on 60 from Suches. To catch the RBR you would take Hwy180 east about 11 miles below Blairsville (which would be on the left) then about 1 mile to the RR which would be on the right and would take you back down toward Helen. But, you are right, the best roads in the country.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 7:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip
I dont know about roads from Nebraska to GA but once you are in Hiawassee here are some not to miss:

State Rd 75 south out of Hiawassee down to Helen......nice mountainy curves and u can have good lunch in Helen.....

Hwy 28 .....from Franklin NC to Highlands NC......you can weave your way over to Franklin easy enough from Hiawassee and Hwy 28 is one of the most beautiful drives in the southeast......

kip
99 LT
Almost <g>

I should have some more rouutes done soon, do not forget 197 stop at the mark of the potter

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 8:08 am
kip

easily confused ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtebeau
Kip,
You got confused on the routing. You won't get to the Richard Russell going south on 60 from Suches. To catch the RBR you would take Hwy180 east about 11 miles below Blairsville (which would be on the left) then about 1 mile to the RR which would be on the right and would take you back down toward Helen. But, you are right, the best roads in the country.
u are sure right......hope nobody read that and is till up there in dahlonega trying to find it

been riding up there all my life and still dont know where it is evidently

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:00 pm

[QUOTE=kip]u are sure right......hope nobody read that and is till up there in dahlonega trying to find it

Hey, you find out these things by.... doing things not quite right. I've made a few wrong turns several times. It is pretty much a standard practice of mine to have to turn around and go back at least once during each ride.... but, I have gotten pretty good at passing by and saying oops, there it was.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip
u are sure right......hope nobody read that and is till up there in dahlonega trying to find it

been riding up there all my life and still dont know where it is evidently

actually you were right, just don't tell them the rest of the route, I would hate to see our roads get to well known <g>

think I'll take a ride this afternoon up to 180, I don;t know it's so far (bout 20 miles <grin>)

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in