Florida Panhandle Triathlon Support - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Florida Panhandle Triathlon Support

Sending out a plea for anyone interested in providing moto support to transport race officials during the conduct of the Gulf Coast Triathlon in Panama City Beach this Saturday, May 8th. It is a Half Ironman, which means a 56-mile bike course and the makings for a long day in the saddle but can be fun nonetheless. Gas money and a full buffet breakfast provided. I know it's short notice, but I was told this morning all they have been able to round up so far is a bunch of crotch rockets and Harleys, which are completely inappropriate for triathlon officiating. If interested, please contact me directly at [email protected] or cell #931-581-3436.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:07 am

Re: Florida Panhandle Triathlon Support

Al,

I would applaud the riding skills of anyone on a K1200LT who worked this event. I cannot think of a less appropriate bike for the task of slow 2-up riding. I just don't think that this bike, with it's dry clutch, is up to the task.

I've seen them on TV in Europe shadowing the bicycles and am amazed at the riders ability.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:40 am

The LT does this just fine, I've been doing it off mine for the last 3 years. If I wasn't fighting a motor issues, I'd be all over this like chocolate on a Mounds Bar.. As a matter of fact, I had Al's SO on the back as an official last fall at Lake Lanier.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:48 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I also have done this 4 or 5 times here in Austin. As long as you are comfortable riding 2 up you will be fine. The speeds average from 15 to 50 mph as you will watch a group of bikes for infractions then move on to the next group. You will follow along with a group but usually not for very long.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2010, 1:57 pm

I volunteered for last November's Iron Man in Clearwater, and the St Anthony's in St Petersburg on 4/26.

The full triathalon is a bit longer. The courses tend to "close" by 1 PM. But they start early. Get a map or an idea of the course before the event. It will help.

The videographers requested the BMWGoldWing as they are smooth, quiet and comfortable.

Yes, the low speed handling IS a handful esp. with videographer and 20+lb camera.
The two gentlemen I had were very communicative, and one brought his own brain bucket. Work together and the mission will be a success.

The videogs like to lean WAY out to right side, stand up, and generally get shots from the particpants 9 o'clock position. This means that keeping yr eye on the road and the particpant can be awkward. Again, they should warn you, as you should tell them what you need.

The toughest part (for me) of the most recent event was when I had to take the LT through the "transition" area (where participants switch from swim to bike or bike to run) with particpants and expensive bicycles all around. The grass was thin with sand underneath.
Need I say more?

I am not gonna say I am the best rider out there...but I think my care, enthusiasm and experience grows each time I volunteer.

If you have the least inkling to help out, go for it. You won't forget it.

I have to work, or I would be there.

PS I removed my topcase to assist the vids. It's a 5 min. operation or, or off.

Last edited by Doppelganger; May 3rd, 2010 at 2:08 pm.
post #6 of 8 Old May 5th, 2010, 6:54 am Thread Starter

Good comments all, except I will have to chime in to say that based upon my own experience the LT works just fine for this purpose. Frankly, there is not a whole lot of truly slow speed handling involved in supporting the typical triathlon anyway. 95% of the time you are moving at a pace which is slightly faster than the cyclists, which as someone said is between 15-35 mph anyway, which is not slow. Probably the ideal mount...no grief from the peanut gallery on this now...is a GS or a GSA without the side cases, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the comments.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #7 of 8 Old May 5th, 2010, 7:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
Good comments all, except I will have to chime in to say that based upon my own experience the LT works just fine for this purpose. Frankly, there is not a whole lot of truly slow speed handling involved in supporting the typical triathlon anyway. 95% of the time you are moving at a pace which is slightly faster than the cyclists, which as someone said is between 15-35 mph anyway, which is not slow. Probably the ideal mount...no grief from the peanut gallery on this now...is a GS or a GSA without the side cases, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the comments.

Great comments and I can appreciate those who have done this, it's just that a lot of low speed maneuvering with a passenger, leaning out for that special shot is not my idea of a fun ride. I can do it, but it reminds me of a 5 mile, one hour traffic jam every afternoon through Orlando. I'll go WAY out of my way to avoid it!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 8 Old May 5th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Just got back from PC, I'm sure that the locals are trying to recover from Thunder Beach

Hope you raise some "hands" Al, have a good weekend in PC.

While you are there, make sure to eat at the Boondocks Restaurant off of 79 there at the brigde. Great seafood, ate there myself last Saturday, just watch the sand, and yes I held the LT up in the sand

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in