Sat. March 6th RTE - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 7:11 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Sat. March 6th RTE

The Feb. RTE that I posted has been moved to March 6th. I will be leaving from Hardee's on the north side of Denver at the corner of Hwy's 16 & 150 at 8:30 am. It will be a three hour ride in the country to Mi Cocina Mexican Restaurant in Locust NC 117 N. Central Ave. (hwy 200).
Members & Guests feel free to join us. I'll be taking a tour of the Reed Gold Mine after lunch.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 8:57 pm

Ride Report

Dave, Jessie, and I had a quick breakfast at Hardee's in Denver, NC. We were on the road shortly after 9:00 am. We headed east on Hwy 150 for a few miles, then off onto roads less travelled. We made a big loop north and east of Locust, NC and the Mi Cocina Mexican Restaurant. Lots of great roads. We arrived at the restaurant shortly before noon. Dave's co-workers had told him it was a good place to eat. They were right. It was a short ride to the site of the Reed Gold Mine. This was where gold was first discovered in the US. It was a small nugget, found in a creek. Only weighed 17 pounds. The formerly operating mine has a couple tunnels open for tours. I think the temperature 50 feet underground was 48 degrees.

The highlight of the whole day came next. Dave's boss gave him permission to give us a tour of the engine shop where he works for one of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Teams. Dave showed us everything from the rough castings for intakes to the engines ready to go to the track! Now that was an inside look at something few people get to see.

Dave, Jessie, and I (the Three Musketeers as Dave called us later) are planning more RTEs for the upcoming months. Anyone interested is welcome to come along, meet at the destination, whatever. We discussed going to Mt. Airy (Mayberry), the North Carolina Aviation Museum near Asheboro, and the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer, NC. We even tossed around a trip to Pooler, GA to the Mighty Eight Air Force Museum. For that one, we'd have to leave early and get back late for a day-trip. And with all those trips, of course, there'd be a stop at a local restaurant. It is a ride-to-eat, after all.

Suggestions? Comments? Want to ride? Let's GO!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 3:06 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Sat. March 6th RTE

It was a nice perfect weather 200 mile ride. We lucked out at the Reed Gold Mine the underground tour was just starting when we got there. It was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be. I think we were there for about 1 1/2 hrs. Next ride sat. March 27th details later.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Talking Re: Sat. March 6th RTE

Dave, want to thank you for the tour of the engine shop really puts in perspective
what involved in getting a NASCAR to the track. Another great ride with Lee and Dave looking forward to many more. And here's Dave famous words while on the tour of the shop. This machine does this and this engine has that and "NO JESSIE YOU CAN'T THAT A PICTURE OF THAT"

Last edited by jwb4207; Mar 7th, 2010 at 8:40 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in