Caution when renueing your Florida Vehical Tag - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 9:02 am Thread Starter

Caution when renueing your Florida Vehical Tag

Just got two 2010 stickers and the new method that the good old Dept of Revenue has switched to, but never tried, is slightly defective. The stickers for your tag do not peal off very well and may not stick correctly. Not quite sure what they will do, but I had to carefully tape mine on and that means that anyone can carefully peal it off. I'll call in on Monday, as naturally, they don't aren't open on the weekends.. I'm sure that it will be at my inconvenience and not theirs, to get it resolved.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 10:16 am

Re: Caution when renueing your Florida Vehical Tag

The lady at the tag place had a problem putting the sticker on my truck's antique plate. Said the problems started when they changed venders for their registration card/sticker...thing. Once again, cheaper ain't always better.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 10:25 am

Dan, that is messed up. I'm going to do my part to make you feel a little better about it though:

1.) In Washington state the DMV (Drivers Licenses ONLY, no vehicle transactions whatsoever) is manned by State employees and is open limited hours on Saturday. They are closed on Sunday and Monday. The WA Dept. of Licensing (get plates, renewal stickers, transfer titles, get your business license, etc.) does not have any state employee staffed outlets with the exception of the courthouse which is obviously iconveniently for most of the county residents, located at the county seat. HOWEVER, they do license private firms to perform the same functions and you pay a small fee to the private firm for the service. These firms are open longer daily hours than the DMV and they are typically open 6 days a week. Often times the DMV and the private firms share space under the same roof. The State side employees walk around with looks on their faces like they just crapped their pants. The service is often, though not always rude, and is ALWAYS freakin' s l o w!

The contract side is just the opposite. It is to their company's advantage to move the largest number of customers through the process as quickly as possible as the fees charged are transaction based. You also have the option of going to many other contract companies if the one you're at treats you like a bad dog. Therefore, they are helpful, fast, and if there is an issue that can't be resolved during your visit they explain what your options are and they don't have a shit eating, ha ha you have to come back here again, grin on their faces.

Welcome to Washington State.

2.) Many years ago I lived in Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona. They literally sold food inside the facility because it was not unusual to spend 5-7 hours in the place in line after line after line! You Phoenixerite type folks, is it still like this? Is the joint still at the corner of Something and Grand Ave?

This is probably either boring you, the reader, to tears or causing you heartburn because the system in your state is just as messed up, but, hey, I'm feeling better!

I will now officially now step off my soapbox and go to sleep as I just finished a 12 hour night shift!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 17 Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am Thread Starter

I'm looking forward to talking to someone this Monday about "my" problem and their resolution. I'm sure I won't be inconvenienced or have to spend anything to get it fixed! Got about 1/2 of the tag to stick to my SUV's license plate and the one for the bike was no go.

Ya, cheeper is always better.........

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 17 Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 7:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I'm looking forward to talking to someone this Monday about "my" problem and their resolution. I'm sure I won't be inconvenienced or have to spend anything to get it fixed! Got about 1/2 of the tag to stick to my SUV's license plate and the one for the bike was no go.

Ya, cheeper is always better.........
Big Dan, they will fix you up alright, they will try to charge you for a replacement decal! Bring your plate to the DMV and let them put it on!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #6 of 17 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 9:02 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Caution when renewing your Florida Vehical Tag

Apologies to the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles!

I had bad thoughts about what I knew would happen when I called a government office about my problem and what I was going to have to do to get it resolved and on and on...... but NO, my phone call went directly to a lady who listened to my problem, agreed that there was a problem and has agreed to send me two new stickers for my tags.

Kudos to the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles. WOW what service......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #7 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2010, 7:02 am

Dano,

Just received my new registration sticker and noticed the same issue.
Thanks for the heads up.
post #8 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2010, 8:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

If the problem persists you could probably fix it with some spray adhesive from the local hobby shop. Just a thought as opposed to continuing with the state folks.

post #9 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2010, 8:23 am

Re: Caution when renewing your Florida Vehical Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Apologies to the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles!

I had bad thoughts about what I knew would happen when I called a government office about my problem and what I was going to have to do to get it resolved and on and on...... but NO, my phone call went directly to a lady who listened to my problem, agreed that there was a problem and has agreed to send me two new stickers for my tags.

Kudos to the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles. WOW what service......
...what if this one is bad, too? Was it just a "supply" problem?
post #10 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2010, 8:44 am Thread Starter

I think it's still a problem. I received my replacements in the mail and it seems that they are just like the defective ones I got in the first place. The DMV still has a problem and this is probably just the tip of it. I think I'll wait a little while for it to get sorted out. In the mean time, just keep everything handy.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #11 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2010, 10:45 am

Pretty sorry, considering they cost twice as much this year. Mine are due in Feb. , will watch thread for resolutions & post what kind of crap they send me. M.

mgbmw2002
post #12 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2010, 4:08 pm Thread Starter

I took the ones that they sent and applied clear tape. It's almost invisible and seems to be holding. It's not a very good solution.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #13 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2010, 11:16 pm

Dan,

If its like most clear tape, good luck in the rain.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #14 of 17 Old Jan 9th, 2010, 8:44 am Thread Starter

I wish I could find some of that sticky glue that the stores use for the labels that they place on items for purchase. Takes a blow torch or a little gasoline or the combination to remove um.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 17 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 2:20 am

I know this is a old post, but just found it. First ouch on the slam on government employees............lol

Second to make your tag sticker "theft" proof take a razor blade and mark and en X through it or multiple lines through the sticker. So when someone attempts to steal it, it will be in thousand pieces, sure the suspect will give up.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #16 of 17 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 7:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ya ,... We just got the 2010 stickers for our trailer that we winter here in Florida in . I don't think you can rip those things off the form with a hurricane .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #17 of 17 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 8:49 am

With sufficient patience, you can get the things off. Last year's were the same for my wife (in June), so this is an ongoing problem. They probably signed a multi-year contract with the supplier, so we will be stuck with this mess for a while.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in