Thinking of moving from NY to SC...flat and hot? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Thinking of moving from NY to SC...flat and hot?

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Charleston, SC. We live in the hudson valley in NY with lots of great places to ride. I am concerned that SC is so flat (to say nothing of HOT in the summer!) that we will miss our spontaneous 1 hour rides. Convince me we will enjoy riding in SC please?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 7:20 pm

Re: Thinking of moving from NY to SC...flat and hot?

How are you and Happy New Year from Columbia, SC. Living here is definately different from where you are for sure. I am about 110 miles from Charleston, and it does get hotter here than Charleston due to Ocean Breezes. Summer can be torture to ride, so I would keep the rides to morning or evening during July and August. GOOD THING is that I do not winter my ride as I can ride most everyday throughout the year. A spontaneous ride out through the back rodes around the coast and through the midlands will take you through historic locations. Lots of history here. From Columbia, I can hit mountain within 2 hours . Like I said, July and Sugust are the hottest months. the rest of the time is good riding.
I sure hope this helps. I never pictured myself living here, but it is not too bad, and most of the back roads are very well maintained and a slower pace of life.

When and if you get intown, post a hello and maybe we can meet and ride.

John
post #3 of 19 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 7:22 pm

Sorry about the misspelled words, not usually this bad.

post #4 of 19 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhaus1
Sorry about the misspelled words, not usually this bad.
If you wish, the person who posts can go back and edit their post.......see edit button below on your window.......

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #5 of 19 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 9:25 pm

On the plus side, you'll be near the Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway. That will provide you with some of the best riding in the US. Summer temps in the mountains are moderate.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #6 of 19 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H
On the plus side, you'll be near the Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway. That will provide you with some of the best riding in the US. Summer temps in the mountains are moderate.

Ditto on that. I live in Florida, and it takes 8 hours to get there.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #7 of 19 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhaus1
... slower pace of life. ...
Ha! Understatement!

Then, of course, you will be close to Mothership's facility in Greenville, SC - great motorcycling courses.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 9:44 pm

Ahhh yes, South Carolina, "the buckle of the bible belt". Charelston will be hot AND very humid. I live in Savannah, just south of Charleston, and if you don't like the heat, don't ride in the summer, especially "in town". The open highway isn't too bad with mesh gear, just don't stop.
Oh, be prepared for "southern drivers". You'll understand if you move down here.
post #9 of 19 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. John, I will look you up if we end up moving there. Have ridden many miles on the BRP and I guess it is only a few hrs away. I got spooked when I was down there looking at a job at MUSC and someone there who is a biker complained that it was flat and boring. But then again he got fired a few months later!
post #10 of 19 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 10:39 pm

You guys could do a LOT worse... like staying in NY...

Come on down to God's country, you'll learn quickly and enjoy the TAXES you can keep.

Best wishes for your choice!
post #11 of 19 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 6:59 am

You will find that SC and Florida are a lot alike in that the great ride begin after you leave the state! Growing up and learning to ride in WV makes me long for the mountains. You will be closer to the mountains in SC so your ride, "to the ride," will be closer than mine.

Watch out for the packs of deer in the early mornings and late evenings, but relish the laid back life in the Carolinas. It's a beautiful state with interesting people. My in-laws are between Charleston and Colombia and it's a great place to visit on my way to WV.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #12 of 19 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 7:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I went to Basic Training at Fort Jackson SC (Columbia) and after 12 weeks became convinced that if the Earth needed an Enema, the Tube would be inserted at Ft. Jackson.

I think it was the Sand Fleas; Heat & Humidity don't really bother me, but the dang saber-tooth sand fleas sucked out-loud!

The South can get hotter than a two rats screwin' in a wool sock in the trunk of 58 Cady in the Brownsville TX junk yard, but you can still ride in it. It's home and we love it, and you probably will as well.

Very well stated!

Dave Majors lives in Charleston, he can tell just how hot it really gets in Charleston! We did a bike trip to Charleston a few years ago and after a week I think I lost a few pounds!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 19 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 10:15 am

Many of these SC comments don't apply if you choose to live in the northwestern part of the state (greater Greenville area). Not as hot as Columbia in summer; not as cold nor snowy as nearby western NC (I haven't touched a snow shovel in 15 years). It's 30 minutes to twisty roads, 1 hour to BRP (1.5 hrs on those twisty roads). Ain't nothing flat nor dull about riding in this part of SC (although most of the fun rides head to western NC). And, Greenville has a fine BMW motorcycle dealership; from Charleston, you'll have to deal with Atlanta, GA, or ... Greenville ... for authorized BMW service. Them's pretty long rides just to get a bike serviced.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #14 of 19 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
Many of these SC comments don't apply if you choose to live in the northwestern part of the state (greater Greenville area). Not as hot as Columbia in summer; not as cold nor snowy as nearby western NC (I haven't touched a snow shovel in 15 years). It's 30 minutes to twisty roads, 1 hour to BRP (1.5 hrs on those twisty roads). Ain't nothing flat nor dull about riding in this part of SC (although most of the fun rides head to western NC). And, Greenville has a fine BMW motorcycle dealership; from Charleston, you'll have to deal with Atlanta, GA, or ... Greenville ... for authorized BMW service. Them's pretty long rides just to get a bike serviced.

- Bob
....or Daytona Beach.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #15 of 19 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Professor, the hardest thing for people not from the South to get used to is the the heat/humidity during the summer. You will learn to keep hydrated during the summer and as others have alluded to, you don't won't to drive in stop and go traffic. Charleston will be a great place to live, look at the Mt. Pleasant area on the north side. You will be 3 hours from the dealer in the upstate here in Greenville. But, you will be so close to the mountains as well. Keep in touch when you do get relocated, we can always use another riding partner.

2002 LT 'The Golden Girl'
post #16 of 19 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 11:40 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments! My wife and I will be visiting Charleston this week to look around. I understand the heat/humidity issue having lived in Houston for a few years. Thanks again!
post #17 of 19 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 12:40 pm

There is a multiline dealer in Charleston that, according to its website, sells and services BMWs, so you may not be as far away from a dealer after all.

Here is the link: http://bmw.championhondabmw.com/home_bmw.asp

I don't have any firsthand experience with this particular dealer.
post #18 of 19 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
There is a multiline dealer in Charleston that, according to its website, sells and services BMWs, so you may not be as far away from a dealer after all.

Here is the link: http://bmw.championhondabmw.com/home_bmw.asp

I don't have any firsthand experience with this particular dealer.
Just cuz a website says they service BMW doesn't mean you want to go there. I have been to this particular dealer and would not recommend it and frankly don't know of anyone who would. I do most of my own service but when the tranny had to be replaced I had it done at Touring Sport in Greenville. They have also rebuilt two FD's for me in the past 180k.

JM2C

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #19 of 19 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 3:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWprofessor
My wife and I are thinking of moving to Charleston, SC. We live in the hudson valley in NY with lots of great places to ride. I am concerned that SC is so flat (to say nothing of HOT in the summer!) that we will miss our spontaneous 1 hour rides. Convince me we will enjoy riding in SC please?!?
As a resident of the Grand Strand, (North coast of SC) for the past 26 years, I can tell you there really aren't many exciting motorcycle roads in the low country of SC. While the roads aren't that great, there are lots of neat places to visit both historically and geographically. We are not far from the southern Appalachains however which I think is some of the best riding you can find. Be prepared for 90% humidity nearly year round and from March to October there is no such thing as a cool night unless you are inside. There are lots of places to go off road if you are so inclined and mud bogging is taught beginning at age three.

From Charleston a spontaneous one hour ride could take you to a hundred fascinating historical sites but don't expect to be riding hills or curves.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in