Tech Session Near Charlotte NC - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 Old Sep 25th, 2009, 9:43 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Tech Session Near Charlotte NC

If anyone would like a session I am more than happy to host one. Any date after the Smoky Mountain Fall Reunion except Thanksgiving Weekend is fine with me.

I have one lift,good lighting,plenty of tools & lots of space. Saturday & Sunday if needed is fine with me also.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old Sep 25th, 2009, 10:21 pm

Re: Tech Session Near Charlotte NC

What are you thinking about doing at the tech session Dave?

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 70 Old Sep 26th, 2009, 7:38 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
What are you thinking about doing at the tech session Dave?
I won't need to do anything on my bike. I'm just offering help & space for others. Things like the weep hole, Brake & Clutch fluid flush, Change fluids. Or whatever can be done in a one or two days.

BTW Mike I rode just south of you yesterday to South Carolina I thinking of moving there next year. It took me 55 minutes to get to exit 8 on I-85 from work. That included 10 minutes of stop & go traffic.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #4 of 70 Old Sep 26th, 2009, 10:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle-man
I won't need to do anything on my bike. I'm just offering help & space for others. Things like the weep hole, Brake & Clutch fluid flush, Change fluids. Or whatever can be done in a one or two days.

BTW Mike I rode just south of you yesterday to South Carolina I thinking of moving there next year. It took me 55 minutes to get to exit 8 on I-85 from work. That included 10 minutes of stop & go traffic.

I am off exit 8 down by the stateline, so you probably went by the house. if you need any help, either with the session, or anything down this way, give me a shout. Glad you are up and running again.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #5 of 70 Old Sep 27th, 2009, 5:21 pm

Hi Dave,

A tech session sounds great. I've been checking my weekend schedule(s). In October, I have the 10-11, and 17-18 weekends open. If enough people show interest, I would be able to attend on one of those weekends. November doesn't look good at all for me. I need to learn the fluid changes (brake, clutch, and transmission). I should also drill the weep hole(s).

I've only changed the oil and the FD fluid on my bike. I've never been to a tech session...what would I bring? Where do people stay? I'm thinking that fluid changes should only take a few hours, so I may be able to leave early in the morning and return to my home in the evening.

Thanks, let me know if it's going to happen.
Chad

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #6 of 70 Old Sep 27th, 2009, 6:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I would be very interested in a Technical Session, live just North of Atlanta so with-in striking range. Have a 05 LT which needs a weep hole, & who knows what else, more than anything just to rub elbows with others who maintain their own LTs.

Bruce Kincheloe
post #7 of 70 Old Sep 27th, 2009, 9:17 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

I have one Corvette engine to rebuild & a couple of cars to work on before my garage is empty enough. Oct. 31 is the first Sat. I could do it & because its halloween I'm not sure it would be a good date.

If I can round up one more lift than two weep holes in one day would be ok. There are some parts you should have weather you need them or not. The clutch slave cylinder, two washers & the felt for the clutch rod.

As long as your center stand works changing & flushing the fluids is easy enough on the floor.

I have one spare bedroom & two couches for overnighters.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 70 Old Sep 27th, 2009, 9:29 pm

Thumbs up Re: Tech Session Near Charlotte NC

Dave , I'm about 20 miles from your location if the day fits my work schedule would like to attend. Would like to see this weep hole thing done so I could do mine at a latter date.
post #9 of 70 Old Sep 28th, 2009, 10:01 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

When I did my weep hole last Dec. the only parts the closest dealer stocked were the felt & the output shaft seal. There is actually 4 crush washers, two seals, slave cylinder & felt that would be good to have on hand.

The closest dealer to me is at least a two hour round trip. The second closest dealer to me is at least a three hour round trip. That is if you only spend 10 or 15 minutes at the parts counter. The dealer in Greensboro seems to stock more parts than the one in Charlotte.

If for some reason a bike couldn't be finished they could always ride mine home. Pick a date guys. If its to late this fall we could always do it in the spring.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 70 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 9:11 am

I don;t really need anything., but would be glad to come and help out if I can make it on the date. I've been to a couple and am pretty good with linkage lubing, tupperware removal, valve checks, etc. Basic stuff.

I'm up 77, by the VA border, in Mt Airy, NC

Randy
post #11 of 70 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 1:50 pm

I would like to try and be there also. I will need the date at the earliest, so I can put it on my schedule. Iím not in the need of any major service at this time. However, could be interested in conducting or learning how to do the weep hole procedure or values check.
I will also need to verify the availability of any parts needed for the procedure. I will most likely get my parts from Greensboro, if available. I live about an hour south of Greensboro in Sanford.
Thanks

Gene

Gene

05 Ocean Blue K1200LT
08 Maroon Suzuki C109R
post #12 of 70 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 7:50 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

How about Sat. Nov the 14th. Bruce indacated he might like to get his weep hole done. I think I'd like to just do One weep hole this time. I've checked valve lash on mine twice but I have not had to change it yet. I wouldn't want to change lash on someone elses bike the first time. But we can check lash.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #13 of 70 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 8:19 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

I don't know how my last post got posted I hit enter to start a new paragraph & it posted I didn't even get to spell check.

If anyone wants to change oil I have plenty of Mobil 1 15 w 50 Extended Performance or what I use right now Mobil 15 w 40 Delvac 1300 super. Its free if you want to try it.

Another simple job is the air & fuel filter change. If anyone needs to learn how to do that.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #14 of 70 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 11:00 pm

Thumbs up Re: Tech Session Near Charlotte NC

November 14th looks like a good date for me Dave.
post #15 of 70 Old Oct 11th, 2009, 8:02 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

I spoke to Bruce the other night and we are going to do his weep hole on Nov. 14. I've had some of you PM me and I need an idea of how many are coming so as to have food & drinks for all. Breakfast & Lunch at least.

PM me for my address & phone #. I'll have my LT out in front of my new garage so you can't miss it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tech Session.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	818.6 KB
ID:	24898  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #16 of 70 Old Oct 11th, 2009, 8:31 am

Neat looking garage with lots of storage. Where did you get that special siding? Nice effect!

Wish I had the date open as I'd like to watch/assist with a weep hole-fix.... Too much skydiving this time of the year....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #17 of 70 Old Oct 11th, 2009, 9:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I spoke to Bruce the other night and we are going to do his weep hole on Nov. 14. I've had some of you PM me and I need an idea of how many are coming so as to have food & drinks for all. Breakfast & Lunch at least.

PM me for my address & phone #. I'll have my LT out in front of my new garage so you can't miss it.

Nice to see you paved the drive Dave!! -Kudos.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #18 of 70 Old Oct 11th, 2009, 9:21 am

Had my weep hole done a few years ago. Got a question, does anyone know of an actual clutch save from having a weep hole?

Ultra LT
post #19 of 70 Old Oct 11th, 2009, 5:53 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Well Dan I live near the home office of Lowes. I got a good deal on everything from there return outlet store. My contractor told me to paint every thing right away and I didn't listen to him. My bad!!!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Neat looking garage with lots of storage. Where did you get that special siding? Nice effect!

Wish I had the date open as I'd like to watch/assist with a weep hole-fix.... Too much skydiving this time of the year....

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #20 of 70 Old Oct 11th, 2009, 6:05 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Nice to see you paved the drive Dave!! -Kudos.
Well John I did have a decision to make. Paint the garage or pave the driveway. I decided to pave the driveway & lure people into a tech session and then hand them all a paint brush. Now that I look at it I think I waited to long to paint it.

So lets just work on some bikes.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #21 of 70 Old Oct 13th, 2009, 2:06 pm

Talking Re: Tech Session Near Charlotte NC

Dave
Can I bring to 07 Ultra-Classic I traded for ??????
Rick / from Asheville
post #22 of 70 Old Oct 13th, 2009, 5:40 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo
Dave
Can I bring to 07 Ultra-Classic I traded for ??????
Rick / from Asheville
You bet you can all bikes above the status of a Liquor Cycle are welcome.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #23 of 70 Old Oct 24th, 2009, 7:16 pm

Dave,

Do you have the time to help out with a throttle cable mod? Alternatively, if you decide that you have "room" for a 2nd weep hole/slave mod, that'd be a good excuse to get out of Dodge. Besides, you need to get a fellow BBD south of the M-D! It's getting cold up here in ME - 11* the other day...

Dave Z.

2002 LT
2004 950 Adv
2006 RT
Total Cylinder Count: 102
post #24 of 70 Old Oct 24th, 2009, 7:24 pm

Dave,

Dug this up from the BBD ride this summer - sounds like you got you fueling problem sorted out?

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0934.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	25088  

2002 LT
2004 950 Adv
2006 RT
Total Cylinder Count: 102
post #25 of 70 Old Oct 25th, 2009, 5:57 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

I have had my cables off & on a few times so I wouldn't think the update cables would be that different. On the weephole if I don't use the spare parts on the first one then to do yours should be ok.

Just got back from four days in the mountains & the bike ran fine.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #26 of 70 Old Oct 25th, 2009, 8:26 pm

I'm not positive at this time, but I'm going to try to be there to help out and say hi. I will update when the time is closer.

This kitchen thing is just about finished - you know - Thanksgiving deadline and all!!!!

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #27 of 70 Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:53 am

I may have missed it being posted...is a date set for the tech. weekend ????
post #28 of 70 Old Oct 26th, 2009, 6:22 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo
I may have missed it being posted...is a date set for the tech. weekend ????
Sat. Nov 14th Hope you can make it kosmo I might need some help with the grill from an expert.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #29 of 70 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 11:34 am

I'll try and make it down...looking to bring some friends with me!
No problem on the grill, I'm here for ya !
post #30 of 70 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 8:52 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Time to get the ball rolling. So far I have two weep holes & one throttle cable upgrade. One coming from Georgia & the other from Maine. This will be a rain or shine tech session.

I just dropped off 6 of my body panels for repair & paint. I'm hoping to have a free hand pinstriper do my bike on sat. morning. What I want done will probably take about two hours. If anybody wants any pinstriping or graphics done let me know by this friday. I won't know until this weekend if he can show up but if There is more work it would help.

I also have a all day Sunday ride planned to the Smokey Mountains & back. Heading out at daylight to Lincolnton,Forest City,Lake Lure,Chimney Rock,Hendersonville,Franklin,Iron Horse Lodge at Stecoah& maybe the gap if time permits. Approx. 450 miles.

The only way I will consider another date would be because of Ice or Snow.

I would like to have a head count by next monday so I can plan on food & drinks.

Don't forget to PM me for address & directions ASAP.

Looking forward to see everyone.

Above All Enjoy The Ride: Dave

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #31 of 70 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:09 pm

I'll be there Sat. to help hand and hold as my dad would say. Seriously considering going on the ride Sunday as well.

Like the new avatar. Did you get that on your most recent trip to VT?

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #32 of 70 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 3:24 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
I'll be there Sat. to help hand and hold as my dad would say. Seriously considering going on the ride Sunday as well.

Like the new avatar. Did you get that on your most recent trip to VT?
Glad you can make it Lee. Orange County Choppers is 2 miles south of I-84 in Newburgh NY. I got a tour of the complete shop on friday morning. I was there for about an hour. They were filming the next theme bike.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #33 of 70 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 7:40 am

Wish I could make it, but my daughter has gymnastics meet and my son has a gig with his band. Normally a son playing in a band isn't a big thing, but this is his second gig with this band and he's only 9. They wrote an anti-drug/alcohol song for a project and this is the big "rolling out" party for the project. www.http://www.projectconnectthedots.info/ if you;re interested. There will be a video of the song available soon. Sorry to go off topic, but we're proud of the little guy.

Randy
post #34 of 70 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 8:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Still planing to be there, will trailer in case of snow.
Bruce kincheloe
post #35 of 70 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 10:08 pm

No snow in our part of NC this time of year. I'm not sure where Duluth is, but if you're coming up I-85, should be no worries at all. If you're coming across the mountains, then it might be possible.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #36 of 70 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
...he's only 9. Sorry to go off topic, but we're proud of the little guy.

Randy
And you should be! Good luck to both of your future stars!

Lee
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #37 of 70 Old Nov 5th, 2009, 7:28 am

Thanks.

Randy
post #38 of 70 Old Nov 6th, 2009, 8:49 pm

damn............all I need is a Bike

R1200GSA

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC
post #39 of 70 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 4:53 pm

Hey Dave,

Just got through reading about your Tech Session. Way to Go! Looks like this rain will be through by then.

I will try to swing by and see how its going. Just did all my fluids the other day, so I'm good. May replace the front tire soon, but, its OK for now.

What time you starting Saturday?

I would love to join you all on the ride Sunday if it is still a "GO". When you pulling out Sunday?

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #40 of 70 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 8:40 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
Hey Dave,

Just got through reading about your Tech Session. Way to Go! Looks like this rain will be through by then.

I will try to swing by and see how its going. Just did all my fluids the other day, so I'm good. May replace the front tire soon, but, its OK for now.

What time you starting Saturday?

I would love to join you all on the ride Sunday if it is still a "GO". When you pulling out Sunday?

Joe
All day sat. Joe. I'll be out in the garage by 7:00 am. On sunday I want to hit the road at day light so the only dark riding will be on the slab coming home. I plan on breakfast at Westlake Restuant on Hwy 16 1.5 miles north of Hwy 73 between 6:00 & 6:15 & on the road by 7:00. I'm hoping with all the rain there won't be any washed out bridges. Its a good two lane road ride all the way up .

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #41 of 70 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 8:56 pm

Looks like Sunday is out.

Turns out Polar Bear Lacrosse starts this weekend (somehow lost the date before) and we play Sunday. Looks like I'll have to make it over Saturday and take the rain check on Sunday. We've got practice Sat, just got to find the time.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #42 of 70 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 11:25 pm

Dave, sorry but I am going to have to pass on the tech session this Saturday, Jack and I are going to be replacing the transmission on Tony's bike, that has been sitting in Jacks garage since right after CCR. So we will actually be doing our own session of sorts. If I can talk Jack into taking a break during the day, maybe we can ride over for a few minutes. Hope everything goes well with the session, I am sure it will be a huge success.

post #43 of 70 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 7:02 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
Looks like Sunday is out.

Turns out Polar Bear Lacrosse starts this weekend (somehow lost the date before) and we play Sunday. Looks like I'll have to make it over Saturday and take the rain check on Sunday. We've got practice Sat, just got to find the time.

Joe
Gotta spend time with them when you can they grow up way to fast.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #44 of 70 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 7:08 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
Dave, sorry but I am going to have to pass on the tech session this Saturday, Jack and I are going to be replacing the transmission on Tony's bike, that has been sitting in Jacks garage since right after CCR. So we will actually be doing our own session of sorts. If I can talk Jack into taking a break during the day, maybe we can ride over for a few minutes. Hope everything goes well with the session, I am sure it will be a huge success.
Stop over if you guys can. I'm hoping to get started on the first weep hole friday night. If we get done early enough I want to get into some final drives for a look. I got the parts to rebuild at least one today.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #45 of 70 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 8:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Plan to leave for Huntersville tomorrow mid afternoon, please let me know if I can bring anything to the party.
Bruce Kincheloe
post #46 of 70 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 4:24 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinch
Plan to leave for Huntersville tomorrow mid afternoon, please let me know if I can bring anything to the party.
Bruce Kincheloe
I can't think of anything we need. Pastor Jack dropped of some spare parts last night so we should be in good shape.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #47 of 70 Old Nov 14th, 2009, 4:29 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Dave (dznam) arrived last night. I'm headed out to the garage & I'll check in later.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #48 of 70 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 8:33 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

We got two weep holes done. I had planed on starting on Dave's (dznam) bike when he got here friday evening but the cold beer was just tasting too good . We finished Dave's bike around 11:00 & started on Bruce's (kinch) bike. Everything went fine until I went to bleed the new clutch slave cylinder. First the check ball was stuck. We used a rounded roll pin punch & with a few light taps it was free. Next the bleeder screw would not screw in. To make a long story short we had to bleed it using my roll pin punch to unseat the check ball. Also the check ball did not seal all that well. After what seemed like a hour or so the clutch lever felt fine.

From now on I'll check to see if I can bleed it before I put the swing arm back on. If not I'll bleed it at the slave cylinder. Its not a good feeling to have when your working on somebody's ride that's so far from home.

I think there was 7 or 8 LTs & one GT here & I hope to have one more Tech Session in the spring before I put the place up for sale.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09 Tech Session 005.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	754.9 KB
ID:	25328   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 Tech Session 007.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	825.3 KB
ID:	25329   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 Tech Session 008.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	828.5 KB
ID:	25330   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 Tech Session 009.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	841.7 KB
ID:	25331   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 Tech Session 011.jpg
Size:	824.6 KB
ID:	25332  

Name:	09 Tech Session 012.jpg
Size:	834.2 KB
ID:	25333   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 Tech Session 013.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	799.8 KB
ID:	25334   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 Tech Session 002.jpg
Size:	718.9 KB
ID:	25335  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #49 of 70 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Dave! You did a GREAT job on that Tech Session! Sorry I stole your #1 helper! I know you must be tired, but I am sure there are a lot of thankful guys out there who appreciated your kindness and generosity! You really are a blessing to many! You knocked it out! Great to have you as a friend.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #50 of 70 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 8:55 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Sunday morning five of us met at Westlake Restaurant for breakfast & for a ride to the Smokey Mountains. Bruce was the first to head home on the ride. Then after a ride to the Iron Horse Lodge Dave left us to ride home to Maine. I haven't heard from either of them yet so I still got my fingers crossed We rode about 450 miles yesterday & I had a blast.

The riders: Bruce, Dave, Jessie, Lee & myself.

Thanks to all. A weekend I'll never forget
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09 Tech Session 014.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	789.5 KB
ID:	25336   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 Tech Session 015.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	808.2 KB
ID:	25337   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 Tech Session 016.jpg
Size:	802.2 KB
ID:	25338   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 Tech Session 019.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	847.5 KB
ID:	25339  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in