... another Insurance question for Florida riders - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 5:48 am Thread Starter

... another Insurance question for Florida riders

I know there have been several recent threads about Insurance, but this just pertains to Florida riders. The insurance for my bike runs around $850.00 a year and that is for what my State Farm agent calls "full" coverage. 250,000/500,000/100,000 and Uninsured 250,000/500,000.

Knowing first hand what it cost to go to the hospital, (unrelated accident 10 years ago) and the fact that about 25% of the people driving in Florida don't have insurance, I won't drive without the Uninsured coverage. My premium has been "reduced" because we have total coverage on the home and two other vehicles. What are you paying for Florida coverage? I've shopped around and everyone I check with comes in higher.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 7:50 am

Re: ... another Insurance question for Florida riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I know there have been several recent threads about Insurance, but this just pertains to Florida riders. The insurance for my bike runs around $850.00 a year and that is for what my State Farm agent calls "full" coverage. 250,000/500,000/100,000 and Uninsured 250,000/500,000.

Knowing first hand what it cost to go to the hospital, (unrelated accident 10 years ago) and the fact that about 25% of the people driving in Florida don't have insurance, I won't drive without the Uninsured coverage. My premium has been "reduced" because we have total coverage on the home and two other vehicles. What are you paying for Florida coverage? I've shopped around and everyone I check with comes in higher.
Dan,
My motorcycle coverage is with Progressive. I also have my RV with them but my auto and home are not.
My annual premium for two bikes, '05 LT and "01 1150GS, is $288.86. I'm sure it's obvious that for that price I do mot have Uninsured Motorist. The break down is;
$199 for the LT
$121 for the GS ( Yea, I know that doesn't add up to $288 - I get a $34.34 discount for paying in one lump sum rather than monthly)
The coverage is $100,000/$300,000/$50,000
I've thought a lot about UM and have had many discussions with other about it. I guess the bottom line is that I'll take my chances and hope that between Medicare and my Supplement coverage I'll be taken care of.

I could probably do a little better with other companies but the way Progressive treated me after my crash two years ago I'll stick with them. Their service as far as handling the wrecked bike, allowing me to strip off my farkles, paying me a very fair price+sales tax when they totaled the bike and maintaining constant communication with me throughout the entire process was above reproach. They put out more than $10,000 for that crash and didn't raise my rates.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 7:20 am

Quote:

good move, keep that UM, but have them stack it! that measn you can collect off all yoru vehicles in FL. your property damage liabillity seems too high for a bike though.....

here take a look
www.bikershut.net/mc_ins.htm

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 7:42 am Thread Starter

Tom,

Thanks for the attachment as it confirms a lot of what I have heard. I appreciate the previous comments too because in Florida, State Farm, who has All of our insurance, except for health, is canceling Homeowners next year and I will be shopping for vehicle and homeowners.

The big concern (still unanswered) is if our health insurance would cover us in an automobile/motorcycle accident for hospital charges? Seems that it would, but it is next to impossible to get an answer! Any insurance people out there with a way to get an answer? Our Health Ins is with Aetna and is under a retiree plan.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 9:05 am

Quote:
Tom,

The big concern (still unanswered) is if our health insurance would cover us in an automobile/motorcycle accident for hospital charges? Seems that it would, but it is next to impossible to get an answer! Any insurance people out there with a way to get an answer? Our Health Ins is with Aetna and is under a retiree plan.

that is a good one, there was something and don't quote me as I might be wrong today

on a mc your health may cover if it does not exempt mc use , mine did cover me........... YMMV
again have a Good MC PI lawyer look over your incrance policies if ou are unsure

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 5:02 pm

For what it's worth our health insurance covered all our hospital expenses
(minus a thousand deductible each)
when we hit the Elk in 2006.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in