5/09 Gville Fl Tech Session - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 1st, 2009, 7:41 am Thread Starter

5/09 Gville Fl Tech Session

It's time for a 36k service. In the past I've hosted a tech session when I do maintenance, and am doing the same now. The difference is that now I know what I'm doing These are the items on the agenda:
  • Change engine oil
  • Change rear wheel drive fluid
  • Change transmission fluid
  • Check brake pads, replace if needed
  • Replace fuel filter
  • Change coolant
  • Change clutch fluid
  • Replace air filter
  • Grease shift linkage
  • Check valve clearances
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Add HID low beam

I need to change my brake fluid as well, but will only do that if someone who knows how to do the servo-assist models will be there. Willing to buy lunch

Even if you don't need anything done this is a good opportunity to look at the process. Try not to laugh too much however.

Edit:

Date: Saturday 5/09/09
Time: Start 9:00am-9:30am
Location: 8418 SW 11 RD Gainesville, Fl 32607 (address is not on Google Maps)

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!

Last edited by browad; May 1st, 2009 at 12:20 pm. Reason: Added date, time, directions, some content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 4th, 2009, 3:39 pm Thread Starter

Re: 5/09 Gville Fl Tech Session

Neglected to mention there's also a HF tire changer and Marc Parnes balancer. RSVP if you'll be there so I can lay in the treats.

Cheers

Adam
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
post #3 of 9 Old May 5th, 2009, 4:00 pm

Hey Adam,
I'd love to be there but unfortunately I have to work that weekend. got an MSF class to teach. Maybe next time.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #4 of 9 Old May 6th, 2009, 6:06 am

Adam,

Just saw your post. Wish I saw it sooner (where have I been?!)

I may drop by at the tech session. I would like to change out the brake fluid on my 05 LT, but if that cannot happen, a clutch fluid change would be good, coolant as well, grease shift linkage too.

Would need to get the fluids by then (off hand do you know how much to do each??) My 05 LT still has original fuel filter/disconnects. Would be good to change those out too but dont think I have time to get them before Saturday.

Or just learn and see how it's done.

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"

BMW MOA #139052
post #5 of 9 Old May 6th, 2009, 7:52 am

Cool Re: 5/09 Gville Fl Tech Session

Damn ! wish I were closer, I would love to come watch and learn I am about 250 miles south of you which is not too bad but having to make the return trip the same day is a bit much
post #6 of 9 Old May 6th, 2009, 8:21 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsd-tourteam
Adam,

I may drop by at the tech session. I would like to change out the brake fluid on my 05 LT, but if that cannot happen, a clutch fluid change would be good, coolant as well, grease shift linkage too.

Would need to get the fluids by then (off hand do you know how much to do each??) My 05 LT still has original fuel filter/disconnects. Would be good to change those out too but dont think I have time to get them before Saturday.

Or just learn and see how it's done.

Jon
If you really want to get the fuel disconnects done you can see if beemer boneyard or someone else will ship them 2nd day, but it will be pricey. I would highly recommend doing them along with a 12k service as that will combine time and effort.

Fluids and such you can buy local to you or local to me, doesn't matter much. I've got grease for the shift linkage, all you'd need is DOT4 for brake+clutch and coolant. Shouldn't be any problem finding more if you need it, but two bottles should be enough. Perhaps someone will chime in with exact numbers.

As I mentioned earlier I'm hesitant about touching the ABSII system unless someone with prior experience is there, but we'll see.

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #7 of 9 Old May 9th, 2009, 9:00 pm Thread Starter

Bike is back together and running.

Accomplished
  • HID low beam installed
  • Engine oil changed
  • Transmission oil changed
  • Final drive oil changed
  • Coolant flushed and replaced
  • Fuel filter changed
  • Air filter changed

Post-poned
  • Clutch fluid flush
  • Brake fluid flush

The clutch and brake fluids were post-poned because I did not have the clutch bleed adapter, and would rather order a set of speed-bleeders than deal with the normal bleed procedures for both items.

Notes
  • Get a 14mm allen wrench for stupid tranny drain plug. This was the most annoying part, especially with the bolt at 55 Nm.
  • HID was surprisingly easy to install, with some caveats. Taking off the nosecone helped. There is a quirky connection where the low-beam wires feed into the headlight enclosure that will cut power very intermittantly. Discovered this when the bulb did not fire up right away. Probably due to putting too much stress on the wires somehow. Will see if issue re-occurs.
  • You use just less than 1 gallon of coolant. It was easiest to take off the lowest brake/right-side hose to drain the radiator. Have a bucket ready and don't fight it.
  • Homemade mint lemonade is freaking awesome.
  • Have 4 bolts leftover this time. Will see if anything falls off :-}
  • Test rides are fun with no body panels, stingray, or windshield.

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #8 of 9 Old May 10th, 2009, 8:18 am Thread Starter

One more point re the HID install. Disregard the instructions that come with the box, they are not helpful. Use the better ones (with pictures!) available on the DDM Tuning website .

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #9 of 9 Old May 11th, 2009, 11:08 am

Hi Adam, Sorry I missed the fun. I was over on the left coast for several days and out of contact. Hope to see you at the next one. Keep the extra screws in a bag on the bike. Eventually you'll figure where they came from.... I do all the time!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in