24k service decision - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Question 24k service decision

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to St. Augustine from Connecticut and so far really like being able to ride through the winter

My '02 LT is coming up on it's 24k service and I can use some advice. Any recommendations for using BMW of Daytona or Tallahassee? Are there any good independent mechanics in the Jacksonville area?

I'm also wondering if I should just crack open the service manual and do the job myself. It doesn't appear to be too complicated, well, assuming the valves don't need adjustment. I attended one of the tech sessions at CCR (Breckenridge) and have at least "seen" a service being done. Would sure be nice to do it myself and save a few dollars.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

John
St. Augustine, FL
'02 K1200LT Silver
'04 Honda CRF230
BMWNEF (joined at the Camp Blanding rally last weekend)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanek
Hi everyone,

I recently moved to St. Augustine from Connecticut and so far really like being able to ride through the winter

My '02 LT is coming up on it's 24k service and I can use some advice. Any recommendations for using BMW of Daytona or Tallahassee? Are there any good independent mechanics in the Jacksonville area?

I'm also wondering if I should just crack open the service manual and do the job myself. It doesn't appear to be too complicated, well, assuming the valves don't need adjustment. I attended one of the tech sessions at CCR (Breckenridge) and have at least "seen" a service being done. Would sure be nice to do it myself and save a few dollars.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

John
St. Augustine, FL
'02 K1200LT Silver
'04 Honda CRF230
BMWNEF (joined at the Camp Blanding rally last weekend)
John,
Nice name. Hey I recommend Tallahassee. Why? One is that is where I get my off duty motorcycle service and my cop motorcycle. I know the owner really well. Ask DaveDragon. I can for you ,call the dealer and tell him what you need. I will tell him what you need and you can call and get an appoinment. They could/maybe give you a loaner motorcycle. They did with DaveDragon. I must know you frist. Dusty will ask if I know that person if I recommend his dealer. Are you going on the RTE? to Groveland?
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 7:49 pm

Call me 850-694-2566. My cell phone. You have not filled out your profile, that is a negative. Just kidding. Call me. I will set you up with MillerBMW.

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 6:35 am Thread Starter

Wow... sounds like Miller BMW is the place. I will certainly give you a call to setup a service with Dusty sometime mid/late February. Tallahassee is about 3 hours from here so a loaner would be ideal.

>> Are you going on the RTE? to Groveland?

My wife and I signed up for the BMWNEF Weekend ride to Little Ocmulgee State Park (GA) on the same day.

I just read about the Spring Training Camp II trip at the Iron Horse. Anyone here planning to attend?

P.S. updated my profile but still looking for an appropriate avatar
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 5:31 am

Welcome to the SE!
Try to come to the RTE on 2/11
BMW Daytona's shop is 'slow'. Their service is good, and the people are friendly.
There's a BMW mechanic in Sea Colony (used to work at BMW Daytona), name is Tom High 386-445-9428 cell 386-871-7545.
Sea Colony is just a little south of Marineland.
Put the 1st Sun 900am on your calender for the BMWNEF meeting at Golden Corral (breakfast) and ride after. It's on FL 13 about 1 1/2 mi south of I10 in Jax.
Dave Wright

PS I'm surprised nobody mentioned the SE tech sessions. Lynn Keen has hosted a couple (Mt Dora area) and we're due for one (it's been over 6 months). John Rehder comes down, and with his expertise, Dave Dragon's and Lynn Keen's knowledge it's a very fruitful day!!
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwchfc
Welcome to the SE!

Dave Wright

PS I'm surprised nobody mentioned the SE tech sessions. Lynn Keen has hosted a couple (Mt Dora area) and we're due for one (it's been over 6 months). John Rehder comes down, and with his expertise, Dave Dragon's and Lynn Keen's knowledge it's a very fruitful day!!
Hey Dave, your correct - (it's been over 6 months) but who's counting. Yea, I know we're due for a Tech Session but I've been busy. For example, in the up-coming month of Feb, between my local club events and teaching, I'm already committed every weekend day except Sunday the 26th. Being Retired sure is a lot of work! I'm gett'n real close to a 30K service myself so maybe I can stretch it out 'till early March and we can set something up then. Stay tuned. What ya think Mr Dragon?

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 5:48 am

Let me get this straight
You're retired
Had a new LT less than 6 months
it's got 30,000 miles on it already
You're busy
Yes, I guess so!!
But we sure don't hear any complaints!
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 8:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwchfc
Let me get this straight
You're retired
Had a new LT less than 6 months
it's got 30,000 miles on it already
You're busy
Yes, I guess so!!
But we sure don't hear any complaints!
Dave,
I wish your assumption was correct, but you forgot - I purchased the bike used with 23,000 miles on it. So, I've had it around 4 months and only put 7,000 miles on it. I wish your numbers were correct but I still ain't complaining!!

Cheers

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in