SC: expired driver's license - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 1:37 pm Thread Starter

SC: expired driver's license

Just come to realize that the state of SC does NOT notify you when your SC driver's license is about to expire. What the hell does the state do with all our tax monies, anyway ??? I drove around for three weeks with an expired license.

So that's the bad news - check your driver's license for the expiration date. The good news is ... you can renew your license over the Internet - pay $12.50 with a credit card - and they'll snail mail your new license to you. Doesn't work if you're over the age of 65, tho. Google "SC driver's license" for the web site.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 1:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Gee Bob,

In Alabama you can get a new one at the grocery store! They don't tell us either - did the same thing. The expiration does not coincide with your birthdate either - that might help a bit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #3 of 20 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

In our case, John, the expiration DOES coincide with birthday. Didn't help me - I let it expire for 3 weeks.

Grocery store? How old tech! "Get'cher license & bananas right here!"

Off thread: what kind of condition is the Water Buffalo in ???

- Bob KG3J

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

post #4 of 20 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 6:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile

Hi Bob , in Michigan they send you the paper work you need to renew your license's . And also your driver's license & license plates expire on your birthday . But If you don't get them renewed before they expire , they add an additional 10$ charge an each and everyone of them . It gives people a little incentive to get-R- done . When they change the law to add the penalty , I know a couple of people that found it out the hard way . ..Patric...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #5 of 20 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:06 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton

Off thread: what kind of condition is the Water Buffalo in ???

- Bob KG3J
Other than a weak battery that makes me kick it, it is ready to head for the smokies! In fact it was a three day weekend in the smokies in the fall of 03 on the Suzuki that led me to the LT. But that's another story.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 20 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:13 pm

Cool

You Mean You have to renew them? I thought you only get one for life! Now you got me looking for it. I keep it around here sumwhere. I guess I'll just call Boudreaux, he'll get me another one. a phone call is all it takes.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #7 of 20 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 6:35 am

Ok, I know this is old, but I noticed it at the bottom of something else I was reading and thought I'd kick in our experience with it.

In Virginia, they do notify you that you need to renew your license. Your license also expires on your birthday. In spite of that my wife forgot to renew hers.

The problem then was that you have to have a valid form of ID in order to renew. An expired Drivers License is not a valid form of ID. For most natural born Americans that means you need a birth certificate or a passport. No exceptions. My wife had neither.

So she had to order a copy of her birth certificate through the mail. Took a couple of weeks to get it, which meant she didn't have a drivers license for that time.

Now here's the kicker. What form of ID did she need for the birth certificate? Absolutly none. All she needed to do was will fill out a form with her name, her parents name, the date and place of birth.

Last edited by CajunBass; Dec 9th, 2006 at 6:42 am.
post #8 of 20 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 7:57 am

NJ passed a law that the motor vehicle dept. must notify you by mail or you cannot be ticketed. I got mine renewed just this past week. Problem is, they are making EVERY SINGLE resident renew IN PERSON at the DMV so they can take your photo and issue a digital license (think...long lines). They use a system called the 6-points of indentification. You have to show many, many, many forms of ID. I used my passport, birth certificate, old drivers license, firearms ID card, draft card and property tax bill (to prove where I live). I passed and got the license. I would say about 6 out of 10 people were turned away for improper ID. Most were elderly females who did not have their ORIGINAL marriage certificates to prove why their last name was different than their birth certificates. Then I hear of other states where you can walk in to a grocery store or other store and buy a license. Incredible!

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #9 of 20 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass
In Virginia, they do notify you that you need to renew your license. Your license also expires on your birthday.

The problem then was that you have to have a valid form of ID in order to renew. An expired Drivers License is not a valid form of ID.
I renewed my license two weeks ago in Alexandria. I was in and out of the DMV in ten minutes. All I did was show my "unexpired" existing license. Maybe since I have been living in Virginia for 20 years that I did not have to show a passport or birth certificate. I did bring a passport but was not asked for any additional id.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #10 of 20 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
I renewed my license two weeks ago in Alexandria. I was in and out of the DMV in ten minutes. All I did was show my "unexpired" existing license. Maybe since I have been living in Virginia for 20 years that I did not have to show a passport or birth certificate. I did bring a passport but was not asked for any additional id.
The difference was her's had expired. Once she got her birth certificate, she was in and out in about 15 minutes.
post #11 of 20 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:34 am

Question: For those of you living in states that are making the process really painful to renew, NJ for example, are they making it as painful, or hopefully impossible for undocumented immigrants (read, Illegal Aliens!) to obtain a driver's licence as well? Some of this bs I am reading about sounds like the 'Barney Fife' syndrome going on behind the counter in some cases.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #12 of 20 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 12:35 pm

From what I observed it was equal opportunity abuse. I understand the need for proper identification, especially after 9/11 and all, but other states don't do much of anything. It's probably just NJ. We're weird like that. Here, if I put an aluminium can in the trash the garbage man won't take it. But my cousin in PA doesn't have to recycle anything. We can't have outdoor fires because of the air pollution. My cousin burns his leaves, trash and anything else he wants right in front of his house. I have often thought that if the Grand Canyon was in NJ they would put a fence around it with a sign that says keep back 200 feet!

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

post #13 of 20 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
I have often thought that if the Grand Canyon was in NJ they would put a fence around it with a sign that says keep back 200 feet!

Just too good to let go!!!

Didn't NY put that fence up just to keep you guys in????
Also had some wording about toxic swamp!!!

Sorry, Brian, but that's what happens after 28 years in Bklyn!!
The boy can't help himself!!

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

Last edited by jayz9705; Dec 9th, 2006 at 3:11 pm. Reason: spelling
post #14 of 20 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 3:21 pm

It's a financial fence! NY charges us $6 to get in and nothing to get out! A real fence wouldn't last. All the chemicals in the ground would rot it away!

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

post #15 of 20 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 4:09 pm

Expires on my birthday in (get this) 2022....

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #16 of 20 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 7:44 pm

I had to renew my Texas DL on my birthday this Halloween (though I did it a few weeks before, you kinda want to stay away from them places at the end of the month). I had to show my unexpired DL and my Social Security Card, which it is illegal to be asked for as ID per the Feds. I didn't bother to point that out, though, as them folks really don't have a sense of humour.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 20 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Other than a weak battery that makes me kick it, it is ready to head for the smokies! In fact it was a three day weekend in the smokies in the fall of 03 on the Suzuki that led me to the LT. But that's another story.
My first street bike was a Water Buffalo, there is one sitting in the woods at TWO just rusting away

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #18 of 20 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 9:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
Just come to realize that the state of SC does NOT notify you when your SC driver's license is about to expire. What the hell does the state do with all our tax monies, anyway ??? I drove around for three weeks with an expired license.

So that's the bad news - check your driver's license for the expiration date. The good news is ... you can renew your license over the Internet - pay $12.50 with a credit card - and they'll snail mail your new license to you. Doesn't work if you're over the age of 65, tho. Google "SC driver's license" for the web site.

- Bob
Ga. gives you an option of 10 years before renewal comes up, I took the option. Like FL. they also have disabled MC tags here in Ga. expires every 3 years, once i get my step ladder to get on and off the GSA - that will be fitting.

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #19 of 20 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 12:06 pm

Don't get me started on New Jersey and their 6 points of I.D..... Seems the law abiding citizens always get screwed whether it be gun control or whatever. After all, most of the 9/11 hijackers had VALID NJ driver licenses.

My son went for his driving test this past Monday on his 17th birthday. He passed, and went onto 3 other lines with literally a bag full of I.D.....at the last line everything ground to a halt, he had "nothing" with his address on it. (having been only 16 YOA until then, he didn't receive any bills in the mail) He had his state issued driver's permit (with his address on it, I guess the I.D. that motor vehicle itself issues doesn't count! ) passport, school ID, school report card, bank book, social security card, work I.D.... They finally asked if he lived with me and then took a photocopy of my license.

My wife was the victim of identity theft and went to DMV to repace her license. She also showed up with a bag of I.D.... she was turned away twice, as some of her I.D. was in her maiden name (University diploma). We had to mail away to where we were married for our marriage certificate, and, as such she drove around for a month without a license in posession. Some cities have been known to charge women in the same predicament because of maiden name $40 or so for the marriage certificate.

My neighbor went to renew his license and they wouldn't accept most of his I.D. as proof of who he was, not even his old license...but they DID gladly accept his passport. And guess what was the only thing he needed to show when he applied for the passport? Yes, ONLY HIS LICENSE!
post #20 of 20 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 3:17 pm

My house in Maryland----$3500 in property taxes
My house in South Carolina of the same value----$607 in property taxes.

If I were to have a SC license I would gladly mark down when I needed to renew it.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in