SMFR - Home Safe and Sound - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 1:26 pm Thread Starter

SMFR - Home Safe and Sound

It was a smaller group than in the past. Some old faces and some new. But I had a good time. Connie and I are home safe about 13:30 today.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in April at STC.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Re: SMFR - Home Safe and Sound

Hey Steve,

It was good to meet you and the others. Yesterday was a great riding day, but we had to go. We did ride the BRP to Asheville, before turning more directly home. Check out the fog we hit on the BRP (photo below). Couldn't see 10 ft (literally)in front of us, for about 10 miles. Fog went on for about 20 miles total. Made it home about 5:30 pm.

Enjoyed meeting Lee and Charlie and riding with them on Saturday to Maggie Valley, even though the skies opened up on us and we had a few "river" crossings coming back to the camp. The Olympia gear's pretty good, although the waterproof pockets weren't completely waterproof. In all fairness, my rain pants let water through- I guess with rain like that, nothin is gonna keep it all out. . It was good to get out and ride, though. I couldn't see sitting around all day. Look forward to seeing you guys on another ride/ tech session/ whatever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260069.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	20320   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260110.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	20321   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260111.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	20322   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260175.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	20323   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260176.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	20324  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260203.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	20325   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260283.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	20326   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260291.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	20327   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260293.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	20328   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260304.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	20329  

post #3 of 18 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 3:15 pm

Glad you made it home, Steve. It was good seeing you again.

Excellent pictures, Norwood. LaNett is good with the camera while underway. She got a really neat one of your helmet. LOL Thanks for posting the pics of us soaked to the gills. Charlie took a few (doing his best Dave Dragon impersonation) on the Skyway yesterday.

Charlie and I, along with Mike Kembrell headed out at 8:50. I got home a few minutes past 12:00. We got into some pretty heavy fog along 19/74. I don't believe it was as "soupy" as what you found.

It was good seeing everyone. I had a great time and look forward to April.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

post #4 of 18 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 3:37 pm

LaNett said the pic with my helmet was supposed to give "perspective." All I see is a big head.

Hard to tell in the photo that you were soaked with that big ole grin on your face.

Took me a sec to understand what you meant.. .Charlie "took a few" ala DaveDragon. For a sec I pictured him scrubbin corners ala Dave and layin it down (unlike Dave I'm guessin). I get it- photos...

I'm sure the ride to Tellico Plains was nice. Next time. Look forward to it.

Oh yeah, we met up with the old couple on the Harley trike while leaving. They were on the side of the road (74). I stopped to see what was up. They were checkin a map to get to 19. I told him it was 12 miles back the direction we came from. He looked like he didn't believe me and just kept checkin his map. Wished him a safe ride- he did likewise. Nice couple, it seems. Good to see them out ridin. Dude looks ancient.
post #5 of 18 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 4:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
Hard to tell in the photo that you were soaked with that big ole grin on your face.
Even though we got wet, it was a good ride. I think the grin was relief at being back to the Iron Horse, alive, soon to be dry!

Quote:
Took me a sec to understand what you meant.. .Charlie "took a few" ala DaveDragon. For a sec I pictured him scrubbin corners ala Dave and layin it down (unlike Dave I'm guessin). I get it- photos...

I'm sure the ride to Tellico Plains was nice. Next time. Look forward to it.
I should have read what I wrote a little closer. Yes, pictures. Charlie was snapping them the way Dave described. Dave keeps his camera in the tank bag, sees something he wants to capture, holds the camera in left hand, steers and throttles with right hand.

From Tellico Plains, Charlie and I rode down hwy 68 to 294 to 19/74/129 to 28. The whole route was 160+/- miles. We found 68 to be a very good ride and a "do again".

Are you planning to go to STC in April?

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #6 of 18 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 5:49 pm

Hope so. If it works into things, LaNett and I will be there.
post #7 of 18 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Garage

Dennis, this pic of yours could be a postcard!'

Nice job!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #8 of 18 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 7:53 pm

Thanks Rob, but I can't take credit. I'll tell LaNett. She's in charge of photography. Took over 300 photos so a few have got to come out well! I didn't look at it that closely but now that you mention it, it is a fine picture.

Hopefully you can make the next one.
post #9 of 18 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 6:10 am

Garage

The ride down from NY to NC for the STC is an AWESOME RIDE! The colors and the smells on the Blue Ridge is spectacular.

I plan on being there and look forward to meeting you and you're photographer co-pilot.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #10 of 18 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 9:50 am

Garage

I pulled into Iron Horse on Monday night. The week was incredible with three straight days of amazing weather. Spent some time on the Dragon as well as the BRP and Cherohala. My first time there and I loved it. Got to meet several of you there. (Norwood, I was in the room next to yours.) Sat out the rainy Friday and road the BRP on Sat. I drove straight through to West Palm Beach on Sunday. 14 hours. Got in about 10:00. Safe and sound. Looking forward to doing this one again.

< - - - Norm Ruest - - - >

South Florida

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red
MOA# 145086

“Its unexplained, because they haven’t explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.” - Ruest
post #11 of 18 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 9:47 am

Quote:
Hey Steve,

It was good to meet you and the others. Yesterday was a great riding day, but we had to go. We did ride the BRP to Asheville, before turning more directly home. Check out the fog we hit on the BRP (photo below). Couldn't see 10 ft (literally)in front of us, for about 10 miles. Fog went on for about 20 miles total. Made it home about 5:30 pm.

Enjoyed meeting Lee and Charlie and riding with them on Saturday to Maggie Valley, even though the skies opened up on us and we had a few "river" crossings coming back to the camp. The Olympia gear's pretty good, although the waterproof pockets weren't completely waterproof. In all fairness, my rain pants let water through- I guess with rain like that, nothin is gonna keep it all out. . It was good to get out and ride, though. I couldn't see sitting around all day. Look forward to seeing you guys on another ride/ tech session/ whatever.
From one Norwood to another Norwood, good to meet you and LaNett, enjoy the pictures...

hope you can return in the Spring for STC..

Don Norwood

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #12 of 18 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRuest
I pulled into Iron Horse on Monday night. The week was incredible with three straight days of amazing weather. Spent some time on the Dragon as well as the BRP and Cherohala. My first time there and I loved it. Got to meet several of you there. (Norwood, I was in the room next to yours.) Sat out the rainy Friday and road the BRP on Sat. I drove straight through to West Palm Beach on Sunday. 14 hours. Got in about 10:00. Safe and sound. Looking forward to doing this one again.
Thanks for posting Norm, good to meet you and look for your return to STC in April...

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #13 of 18 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Even though we got wet, it was a good ride. I think the grin was relief at being back to the Iron Horse, alive, soon to be dry!

I should have read what I wrote a little closer. Yes, pictures. Charlie was snapping them the way Dave described. Dave keeps his camera in the tank bag, sees something he wants to capture, holds the camera in left hand, steers and throttles with right hand.

From Tellico Plains, Charlie and I rode down hwy 68 to 294 to 19/74/129 to 28. The whole route was 160+/- miles. We found 68 to be a very good ride and a "do again".

Are you planning to go to STC in April?
Lee, good to see you and look forward to your return for STC...

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #14 of 18 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
It was a smaller group than in the past. Some old faces and some new. But I had a good time. Connie and I are home safe about 13:30 today.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in April at STC.

Smaller group, but a great group of folks.... good to see you and Connie again and I know you where the first in line for getting your rooms for STC... or was it Dave Dragon first?

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #15 of 18 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 10:28 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLT
Smaller group, but a great group of folks.... good to see you and Connie again and I know you where the first in line for getting your rooms for STC... or was it Dave Dragon first?
It was a tie.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #16 of 18 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 3:37 pm

Hey Ya'll,
As has already been said it was another great time at Iron Horse even if we did blow a tire on the RV on the way up. Had a couple days of great mountain riding and got to visit an old friend over in Burnsville on the rain day. Arrived home safely around 12:00 am on Sunday with no additional tire problems.

Hey Don, Ya ready to sell me the side car rig yet? Heck, if ya won't sell it to me you need to come to STC ready for some FLYING LESSONS! What you say?

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #17 of 18 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 5:35 pm

Hey Norm,

I thought I recognized you... from your avatar. Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat some. Look forward to seeing you at the next one. First round of whatever you're drinking (or whatever we have) is on me.
post #18 of 18 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
Heck, if ya won't sell it to me you need to come to STC ready for some FLYING LESSONS! What you say?
Maybe I will ready next week to "fly the chair".... you made it look too easy

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in