Possible move to Orlando area - questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 6:38 am Thread Starter

Possible move to Orlando area - questions

Good folks,

I'm working on a job change that if it happens, would find me moving from the Philly area down to the Orlando area. The company I am negotiating with has an office in the eastern side of the city.

Like many other LT owners, I like to ride and commute on a bike and I would guess the weather down there is much more conducive to riding year round than up here.

I was wondering:

How's commuting traffic in the Orlando area? My current commute does not take me into the thick of Philly traffic because of my route and the time of day. For a 20 mile commute, it takes me about 30 minutes to ride in at 6 AM and about 45 minutes to ride home at 3:30 PM.

Any idea of cost of living differences between the Philly and Orlando area’s? Any high recommendations for a great realtor?

BMW (or other) dealers to take the LT when it needs work (other than the stuff owners normally can do on a 05 LT)?

If there are any folks out there that like looking up in the 'clear' night sky, are there any residential areas that have relatively dark skies (low light pollution) that are within commuting distance of eastern Orlando?

And what about gators, love bugs, and other fauna that a Midwestern and Easterner would not know much about?!

Thanks for any info!

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW MOA #139052
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 9:19 am

Re: Possible move to Orlando area - questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsd-tourteam
Good folks,

I'm working on a job change that if it happens, would find me moving from the Philly area down to the Orlando area. The company I am negotiating with has an office in the eastern side of the city.

Like many other LT owners, I like to ride and commute on a bike and I would guess the weather down there is much more conducive to riding year round than up here.

I was wondering:

How's commuting traffic in the Orlando area? My current commute does not take me into the thick of Philly traffic because of my route and the time of day. For a 20 mile commute, it takes me about 30 minutes to ride in at 6 AM and about 45 minutes to ride home at 3:30 PM.

Any idea of cost of living differences between the Philly and Orlando area’s? Any high recommendations for a great realtor?

BMW (or other) dealers to take the LT when it needs work (other than the stuff owners normally can do on a 05 LT)?

If there are any folks out there that like looking up in the 'clear' night sky, are there any residential areas that have relatively dark skies (low light pollution) that are within commuting distance of eastern Orlando?

And what about gators, love bugs, and other fauna that a Midwestern and Easterner would not know much about?!

Thanks for any info!

Jon
HI Jon,
Originally from PA (Allentown) myself. Moved with my job to Orlando area back in 1984 and eventually retired in 1998. I did commute year round on the bike and for the last 4 years that I worked I rode from Mount Dora to South Orlando, about a 35 mile drive. Back then as I recall it was about a 45 minute drive. About 1/2 2 lane roads and 1/2 Florida Turnpike. That 90 minutes was the best part of the day. Unfortunately the traffic density has increased tremendously since then. As I said, I haven't had to commute for the past 10 years so I'm a little out of touch but rush hour traffic can be a real bear. The highway capacity just hasn't been able to keep up with the growth. As with relocating to any new area I would suggest making the drive over the intended route at the appropriate time before committing to a home purchase.

I'm out of touch with cost of living in PA so can't help with that comparison. Nor do I have any current info on realtors.

Fortunately there are several BMW dealers in the State. The one in South Orlando and one in Daytona are the closest. They're both owned by the same guy. You'll get mixed reviews on both of them but when I absolutely need a dealer I usually go to Daytona.

Light Pollution is pretty much unavoidable these days unless you really get out in the boonies and then commute times become prohibitive.

As far as wildlife and creepy crawlies, Gators are a lot like PA black bears, if you leave them alone they will leave you alone. Just don't feed them or get between momma and babies. Oh yea, don't try to out run them either as they can sprint up to about 30 mph. Love bugs are a pain in the ass. Fortunately they only come around twice a year, typically May and Sept. I keep a couple of old beach towels in the workshop and soak them with hot water after a Love bug encounter. Lay the wet towel over the affected area on the car or bike for 30 or so seconds and they wipe right off. Just don't let them on the paint for extended periods as they will pit the surface.

As far as weather, summers are pretty much hot and humid. Winters are fantastic. I haven't had to shovel snow or chip ice for 24 years!! Year round riding is wonderful.

And OH YEA, I just happen to have my property for sale. Not sure where you’re looking to locate but I'm about 30 miles north of center city Orlando in a rural area where there are only 8 5 acre lots. The surrounding area is orchards and cattle. We have a 3 bedroom/2 bath home built on 5 acres in 1994. It includes an attached 2 car garage, a detached 3 car garage/workshop, 2 stall barn with 12X24 tack room. The back 3 acres is fenced and cross fenced, and all 5 acres is irrigated.

If you would like more specific info on the area or the property PM me. Good luck on your decision.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #3 of 7 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the two responses. I should know in a week what's happening. - Jon

BMW MOA #139052

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 3:44 pm

I say go for it. Sitting in traffic beats, not riding in the winter. Plus there is Bike week and Biketoberfest, and other bike events. There is the annual Ceder Key ride that we do etc............

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Give me a better idea where you'd be commuting to (PM me if you like) and I could give you areas to look at, and a few you should avoid. I've lived on the east side for about 12 years now.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #6 of 7 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 7:57 pm

For a "guesstimate" on cost of living: http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...tofliving.html

Orlando area is a nice spot in the State of Florida, equidistant to both coasts, an airport that has direct flights to just about anywhere and nice country nearby.
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Probable move to Orlando area

Hey folks! Just a quick note: I was offered the position down in the Orlando area late today! We are so excited! Monday should bring more details. I will be asking from some of you kind folks more about what I may expect living down there. Yeeeee haaaaaa!

Jon

BMW MOA #139052

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in