ERC in Florida - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

ERC in Florida

Hi guys, I enrolled in what I thought was the ERC class and when I arrived it was the basic class. I can't find anywhere in Palm Beach county that offers the ERC. For some reason they are not offering ERC. According to customer service a lot of people are wanting to take the ERC without having their endorsement and it's created numerous issues.

I really want to take this course, does anyone have a number for me to call or a place somewhere in FL that I can take it?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 2:10 pm Thread Starter

Re: ERC in Florida

Well after spending almost 4 hours on the phone with pretty much every school, I'm convinced that ERC is no longer in FL due to a new law that was passed on July 1st ( that sucks )
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetflyerJ
Hi guys, I enrolled in what I thought was the ERC class and when I arrived it was the basic class. I can't find anywhere in Palm Beach county that offers the ERC. For some reason they are not offering ERC. According to customer service a lot of people are wanting to take the ERC without having their endorsement and it's created numerous issues.

I really want to take this course, does anyone have a number for me to call or a place somewhere in FL that I can take it?

Thanks in advance.
Hey Johnny,
As I'm sure your aware the licensing laws in Florida have changed recently and now require anyone desiring a MC endorcement to complete the MSF BRC (Basic Course). That, along with the increase resulting from gas prices has most of the Schools in Florida running at capacity to meet demand. Therefore, ERC's have taken a back seat. There also is a new requirement for those desiring a 3 wheel only (trike) liscense that they must complete a new trike class. This is a class called S/TEP that was created by the Evergreen Safety Council in Washington State and was adopted by Florida DOT for the purpose of liscensing for three wheel motorcycles, trikes and sidecars. The problem is that there are no schools in the state certified to legally teach this class. The school that I work for in central Florida is set up to become certified for this class later this month. At that point we will be the only facility in the state to be able to offer this service. It is an expensive proposition. OUr school has already invested more than $20K in equipment and flying instructors in from Washington and each of us that will attend the week long school have to cough up $800 so not too many other schools are interested! Sorry I got carried away and haven't answered your question. Our school normally runs at least one ERC each month, more in the winter when the Snow Birds are here but because of all the above activity we have backed off. I would suggest that if your willing to ride this far for a class, Eustis, FL, give the school a call and ask when they will offer the next ERC or better yet, get a group together and call and tell them you have a group and would like to schedule a time slot. The contact info is here: http://www.floridamotorcycletraining.com/ No guarantees but maybe they can work in a class if they know there's a need.

Hope this helps.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 11:37 am

Johnny,

How bad do you want it???????? First call my school that I ridercoach for. Ask for Al.................. http://www.floridasaferider.com/index.cfm?pageid=20

If that does not work out for ya, I can do a one and one if you are willing to ride up here. I get the range pretty much during the week. We work out a $$$. Just depends on how much the boss man will give up the range. Usually he will leave it up to me. If you interested PM or call me 850-694-2566.

John

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

thank you both so much for trying to help. After calling every school around I decided to hire one of the instructors from a good school in the Miami area that teaches the BRC for a one on one complete 6 hour session. I'm scheduled to drive down to Miami next Saturday weather permitting of course.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 9:38 am

How did it go???????

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in