Deal's Gap Trip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:38 pm Thread Starter

Deal's Gap Trip

I'm planning to ride to Deal's Gap in North Carolina to ride the roads in the area. The big draw is the Tail of the Dragon (318 turns in 11 miles). Anybody been there and have any recommendations for lodging? I want Internet access in the room and the lodge at Deal's Gap only has access from the office area according to their web site. Looks like there are some towns close by but thought I would check for a personal recommendation here on the forum.

Thanks.

2007 BMW R1200RT - Silver
Safari-pegs, Bakup Backrest, Zumo 550, Ztechnik windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 1:08 am

Re: Deal's Gap Trip

I certainly would NOT stay at the lodge at Deals Gap, I think I would rent a POD before staying there.... not that there is anything wrong with the place, I am sure their rooms are great. NOT...There are a few small towns with small motels in the area, don't know about internet in the rooms though. I would look for a motel chain like Holiday inn or something like that close by and just ride a few miles to Deals Gap.
post #3 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 5:22 am

Most people go to Robbinsville, NC... Why?

Look at Murphy, NC.
Murphy is one hour from Deal's Gap, Cherohala, and Wolf Pen Gap.You are easily able to hit E.TN, N.GA and W.NC within minutes.
The is a nice Holiday Inn Express, Best Western, and soon opening a Hampton Inn.
There are some smaller family owned places, but I have never stayed at them.

Murphy has five times the food locations than Robbinsville.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?

post #4 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 5:48 am

We always stay at the best Western in Townsend, TN. For a good dinner I recommend the Front Porch Restaurant. Townsend is about 20 miles from gatlinburg down a nice road along the mountain streams and about 30 minutes to Dragon.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #5 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 6:52 am

I stayed in Robbinsville - you have the san-ran motel (small and friendly) and the microtel next door.
post #6 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 7:00 am

I would recommend the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge. John and Charlene and staff are great. Not sure if you can connect wireless in the cabins or not.
Beautiful country and roads there.

Larry Rusnak
Wadsworth, Ohio
2002 K1200LTC Pacific Blue
post #7 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 7:18 am

Here's another vote for The Iron Horse Lodge. Their location is PERFECT! And the setting is wonderful, as well. They have broadband in the lodge.

Whatever you do, make sure you ride the Cherohala Skyway. You just might find that it blows the Dragon away. In fact, there are a lot of routes down there that are cooler than the Dragon, in my humble opinion. But having said that, every rider should experience the Tail of the Dragon at least once or twice. Just stay off of it Friday and Saturday if you can. The earlier in the week, the better.

If you want (need?) more route advice, don't be afraid to ask.
post #8 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 7:24 am

Just want to make it known that the "The Iron Horse Lodge" is Great, The place I was referring to is the place near the Tree Of Shame
post #9 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 7:39 am

Agree with Joe- Iron Horse. You can stay in a room or camp.
WiFi in the nice lodge. Some meals [check which ones].

There are several hotels in Robinsville, but I have no knowledge of them and WiFi there.

Cherohala Skyway is mandatory!!! One of the best LT roads out there!!! There is a great bakery at the other end in Teleco [?]

http://www.byways.org/explore/byways...tinerary/70680

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #10 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 7:59 am

Just got back from Deal's Gap two weeks ago. I would recommend The Tally-Ho Inn in in Townsend. Perfect location from the Dragon and Gatlinburg. Great restaurant right next door and another across the street with excellent ribs! If you go a little West on 321, a bunch of other eating choices.

Not sure about Wi-Fi in the rooms, I doubt it. Nice pool and every room has a deck or patio. The really took care of us there. While your in the area, don't forget the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley.

Have a great trip!

Keith
post #11 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 8:00 am

I love the beautiful town of Maggie Valley and although I never recommend Scottish Inn motels theirs is an acception. It is newly renovated on the outskirts of town, has wonderful views and nice people own it. The rates are so cheap that they almost pay you to stay there. Check their cheapest rates by googling travelcoupons and I feel Lucky.
post #12 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 8:01 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

At the Iron Horse you can connect from the cabins in the large building across from the lodge (at lest I have from the rooms facing it). They offer a Breakfast and Dinner and if you are there for a Saturday night - the prime rib can't be beat. For dessert I recommend the CBS (Chocolate Brownie Sunday). The SE LT gang meets there twice a year for a long weekend.

But I have to aggree with Mike - if you want the normal chain Hotel stuff - stay in Murphy. But they are not as friendly a group as the Iron Horse staff.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 8:04 am

As has been said before, The Dragon is something all bikers should experience once. The Cherahola is fabulous. I would recommend a side trip to Fontana Lake and Dam. Fresh asphault and gorgeous vistas, on a well engineered road. http://www.westernncattractions.com/fontana.htm

The Iron Horse Lodge is my choice for lodgings in the area. Wonderful hosts, beautiful setting nestled on the fringe of the Smokys, close to some of the best riding roads, anywhere.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #14 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 8:50 am

I've stayed in Townsend several times but always camped. It's a great, quiet location. Take the Foothills Parkway to the Dragon, then go on to Cherokee and come back thru the park.

As others have said, don't even think of not riding the Cherohola Skyway. It's alot better than the Dragon.
post #15 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 9:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
Most people go to Robbinsville, NC... Why?

Look at Murphy, NC.
Murphy is one hour from Deal's Gap, Cherohala, and Wolf Pen Gap.You are easily able to hit E.TN, N.GA and W.NC within minutes.
The is a nice Holiday Inn Express, Best Western, and soon opening a Hampton Inn.
There are some smaller family owned places, but I have never stayed at them.

Murphy has five times the food locations than Robbinsville.
Cause the Gap is 15 minutes from there and you can do the loop.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #16 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 9:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsteinborn
I stayed in Robbinsville - you have the san-ran motel (small and friendly) and the microtel next door.
I ve stayed in the microtel a few times. Motorcycle friendly, has spaces up front for bikes.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #17 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 10:27 am

As with others, the Irohnorse Campground in Stecoah, NC is a great place to stay with wireless connection.

You are also within minutes of some great ridiing.

If you can, ride the Gap during the week, the crazies will be there this weekend along with every LEO around!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #18 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
I certainly would NOT stay at the lodge at Deals Gap, I think I would rent a POD before staying there.... not that there is anything wrong with the place, I am sure their rooms are great. NOT...There are a few small towns with small motels in the area, don't know about internet in the rooms though. I would look for a motel chain like Holiday inn or something like that close by and just ride a few miles to Deals Gap.

Why not the Deal's Gap lodge?

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #19 of 28 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 5:35 pm

No internet.
No late night snacks.
No close food choices.
No TV channels.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #20 of 28 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 12:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbuyer
I'm planning to ride to Deal's Gap in North Carolina to ride the roads in the area. The big draw is the Tail of the Dragon (318 turns in 11 miles). Anybody been there and have any recommendations for lodging? I want Internet access in the room and the lodge at Deal's Gap only has access from the office area according to their web site. Looks like there are some towns close by but thought I would check for a personal recommendation here on the forum.

Thanks.

If you don't feel the need to be very close, I can recommend the Country Inn & Suites west of Knoxville. Stayed there when I did the Dragon and Skyway. Reasonable price, clean rooms, friendly folks, and a restaurant next door. Couple of nice riding roads from the hotel to and from the Dragon and Skyway.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #21 of 28 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 6:36 am

Deals gap,

We always stay in Dahlonega, Ga. It is about a 100 mile ride to Deals Gap but the ride has many good roads to there from Dahlonega and you can make a nice loop via Hwy 60 and the famous for the locals hwy 180. Just as fun as Deals without all the traffic. Tim
post #22 of 28 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 1:53 pm

We stayed at the MicroTel in Robbinsville and found it quite nice. There is, as has already been mentioned, a concrete parking area in front of the hotel. They have a adequate breakfast included and there is a very good BBQ place across the parking lot in what appears to be an old Dairy Queen (or at least there was in 2006).
post #23 of 28 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 3:24 pm

Angry Re: Deal's Gap Trip

Just a quick word of warning the police are running radar on the gap. I received a performance award yesterday for going 48 in a 30 mph. Comming down off the hill by the lake.. BE Careful ...
post #24 of 28 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 12:15 am

I always stay at Tapoco Lodge, a couple miles South of Deals Gap on 129. Secluded and a pretty much self sufficient place with gas, beer, and dining on site. Internet and phone only in the lodge common area though.
post #25 of 28 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Great information and much appreciated! I have a home business (as well as the regular day job) that requires me to stay connected to the Internet in the evenings and mornings (sigh...) so need access from my room. Taking this trip is a good way to just get away and ride solo for a few days and clear my mind of all the daily chores. Well, most of them anyway. Keep any more idea coming along! This web site has been a huge wealth of knowledge for me ever since I found it.

Tim

2007 BMW R1200RT - Silver
Safari-pegs, Bakup Backrest, Zumo 550, Ztechnik windshield
post #26 of 28 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 3:46 pm

http://www.fontanavillage.com/

Great place to stay...
post #27 of 28 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 9:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
Why not the Deal's Gap lodge?
I would rather sleep in a ditch than to stay at the hotel (14 rooms) at the CROT!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #28 of 28 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 5:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbuyer
Great information and much appreciated! I have a home business (as well as the regular day job) that requires me to stay connected to the Internet in the evenings and mornings (sigh...) so need access from my room. Taking this trip is a good way to just get away and ride solo for a few days and clear my mind of all the daily chores. Well, most of them anyway. Keep any more idea coming along! This web site has been a huge wealth of knowledge for me ever since I found it.

Tim

I guess there are a lot of posters that did not read your original post.
Even with a cellular air card you couldn't get internet at most of the suggestions.
Unfortunately, you will need to stay somewhere with a population count of more than seven.

Visit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in