GPS coordinates for Truss Bridge #79/NC - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 21st, 2008, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

GPS coordinates for Truss Bridge #79/NC

We're looking to have a picture taken at Truss Bridge #79 Bethel/Canton/Haywood Co., NC on our annual Spring ride. Anyone have the GPS coordinates of this bridge? I tried to find it on Google Earth and had no luck. My mapsource program doesn't show it either. I tried the NCDOT but didn't get a call back. I can find it when we get down there, but I'd rather have it going in instead of leading a group on a treasure hunt . Just thought with the volume of info on this forum, someone out there might have some info on this obscure item. BTW-it's listed as the oldest working bridge in NC and is near the "fictional" town/village of Cold Mountain from the movie Cold Mountain. Thanks and safe riding all!

Bill Hanna
Syracuse, NY
'01 K1200LT (mauve) traded
'04 K1200LT (Black Mariah) traded
'05 (Graphite)
Oh alright. . .I'll ride next to the Harley this time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 21st, 2008, 4:57 pm

Re: GPS coordinates for Truss Bridge #79/NC

Hope this helps...Truss Bridge #79 — This bridge is North Carolina’s oldest working bridge and Haywood County’s only remaining ornamental bridge. The bridge was manufactured in 1891 by the Phoenix Bridge Company and was moved to its present site in 1925 by men in the community who desired to have a passageway across the Pigeon River from Lake Logan Road to Love Joy Road.
post #3 of 5 Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:21 am Thread Starter

Hey Doug,
Thanks for the reply. I was working from volume 1 of the history of Cold Mountain that gives a very detailed account of the manufacture and the moving of the bridge. It was actually moved by a group of volunteers and the concrete poured by hand and the rivets placed by hand after climbing a ladder to get there. It bridged Lake Logan Rd. and Love Joy Rd. and saved a lot of steps for the locals, some kids going to school opted to take a foot log crossing at the present site rather than walking the extra way.
But as I mentioned, a look at Google Earth at these locations doesn't show the bridge. Just looking for some help with the coords if anyone local might know. Looks like a lot of overgrowth in the region.

Bill Hanna
Syracuse, NY
'05 (Graphite)

post #4 of 5 Old May 22nd, 2008, 9:29 am

Bill, you may want to check out This NC Bridge Link it might help. Good luck.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Bill, you may want to check out This NC Bridge Link it might help. Good luck.
That's a great site! I was pretty optimistic that it would have the OLDEST bridge in NC there, but I think that won't happen until I post MY picture there after we get back! The links to ACME mapsite were more detailed than Google Earth and I can see the area pretty good, but there's so much green there, that you can't see all of the roads or bridges. The more I look for it, the more worthwhile I think it will be as a destination for us! As I said, we leave Monday, and the LT will lead the Harleys again! Our stops are Grantsville, MD/ Beckley, WV/ Asheville, NC/ Dayton, OH/ Toronto, ON/ and Ottawa, ON. We return home by way of the Wolfe Isl. Cape Vincent, NY ferry out of Kingston. Our run up to Ottawa will take us up near Algonquin and then into Ottawa by the Gatineau Park/Ottawa River. We'll have 10 riders, 9 of whom have ridden together for several years.

Bill Hanna
Syracuse, NY
'05 (Graphite)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in