ERC and TECH SESSION, Surry County NC - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 9:05 am Thread Starter

ERC and TECH SESSION, Surry County NC

Guys,

I have let time slip by and forgot about it till Chillkoot Charlie reminded me.

Surry Community College has an ERC scheduled for March 1. Cost is $60 for one-up, $75 (?) for two-up. I think that is the charge for two-up. Surry Community is in Surry County, off Exit 93 on I-77, or accesible from US 601 from the other direction. The phone to register is 336-386-3202, Sandy Wall. She's expecting your calls.... we can have up to 12 students, need at least 6 to run class.

I have spoken to the director and he is fine with us having a tech session during the day too. We can run the ERC for those interested and a tech session for others. I don't think you'll be able to do both, though. There would be no charge for the tech session. BUt to participate in the ERC, you will have to pay.

I did tell the director of the training center that we would not be using the college's tools, in the interest of not having to keep up with that, so we'll need to bring whatever we need. I can bring basic stuff. I can't remember, but there may be a grill over there, too. I am not financially able to be as gracious as some hosts, so we may have to compromise and all pitch in or go out for lunch.

If there is interest in this, we need to start organizing a plan pretty quick. Anyone that would like to volunteer to host the tech session or any part of the day would be certainly welcome to do so. I could really use a person to coordinate the tech session to help me out, if any of you would like to do that.

I have Joseph Stephens (joseph, are you listening?) listed currently as one instructor for the day. I'll either be the second or we'll hire another if need be. WE'll work that out on my end. But I may need to be available to help run everything, so I may not be able to help coach.

All bikes and riders will be welcome for the ERC, if you have a spouse or friend that is interested. And the course is open for others, too.

But if we can get it booked up, we can have run of the place. If you know anyone that may be interested in either the ERC or the tech session, let's get a list going and make a plan.

I'm sure more details need to be worked out, but its Monday morning and it's kinda hectic here at work.....

Thanks
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 9:35 am

Randy,

I have it on my schedule to conduct the ERC at Surry on March 1. Looking forward to seeing you then.

Joseph
post #3 of 49 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 10:39 am

Randy,

Put me down for the tech session. If you can supply a list of tools I will bring whatever I have.

ERC with Joseph is a great class and well worth the 65.00. Be sure and keep your head up, Joseph is always watching.

See you soon,

Charlie

post #4 of 49 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 10:46 am

I'll plan on attending the tech session portion as well. I'll fill the trailer with everything I can think of based on what work is planned.

Shall we use this thread to create the attendees and maintenance work list?

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #5 of 49 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 2:29 pm Thread Starter

Who/What?

Thanks for being part of this John. Let's start the list. As before, add your name and service to the list. Or if you register for ERC, put your name and ERC by it.

I'll start here:

Chilkoot Charlie - service? Chil, please fill this in so we can plan tools. Wife ready for an ERC?
Tom F - friend of Randy's needing a canisterectomy.
Randy C - ringleader - no service - may have to help coach ERC.
John B - bringer of tools
post #6 of 49 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 3:55 pm

Thanks for putting this together Randy.

I don't think Susan has quite enough ridding time to be ready for the ERC but I will ask. I tried to talk her into an RT or GS so she could ride comfortably in the winter but she wanted a HONDA.

As for me, I need the 24000 mile check.
Oils, Filters, Valves, and maybe Brake fluid. We can have a look at the brake fluid it may be OK. Plugs are good, changed last fall. I have all the oils and filters but if there are any o-rings or valve gaskets needed in this maintenance please let me know.

See you soon,

Charlie
post #7 of 49 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 5:20 pm

Dog gone it, that's the one weekend my wife has commandeered already. It's a great idea and I really would like to do the ERC - will there be another later in the year?

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #8 of 49 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 7:07 am Thread Starter

Joel,

I think we have one scheduled for the following week, but that's it for Surry. You can go to http://ncmotorcyclesafety.org/ and find the various sites and check to see when/where they are offered. They can be hard to fill, so you may have to look a bit.

Randy
post #9 of 49 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 7:09 am Thread Starter

Updated list - I don;t know if we will be equipped for a brake fluid change - John?

Chilkoot Charlie - 24k service
post #10 of 49 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
Updated list - I don;t know if we will be equipped for a brake fluid change - John?
Yes we can do the brake fluid, I'll speak with Charlie.

On all the oils, is the school able to handle oil disposal or will the used oils need to be toted away for disposal?

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #11 of 49 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 7:10 am Thread Starter

I'll check next week when I meet with the director to discuss our MSF program for the year.. They do about all the maintenance for the law, fire, emergency service training vehicles on site, so I assume they are set up for oil disposal.

The director seemed to like the idea of the tech session. They had a Triumph car club meet there last year, so I guess they figure it will promote goodwill for the school by having little things like this.

I hope we have a good turnout for the ERC and tech session. We need more folks though. I would hope to have a turn out like we did at yours last year.

Randy
post #12 of 49 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 10:30 am

Can't Guarrantee

Randy,

Thanks for putting this together.

If I can make it, it will likely be a last minute thing. My daughter is in a JO Volleyball tournament that weekend. I'm still trying to get details to see if I can make it up.

I'd hate to miss my first trip to Mayberry

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #13 of 49 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Okay. If we don;t get more interst, it may be a non-issue anyway.

Randy
post #14 of 49 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 3:15 pm

count me in

I've tried adding my name and service to the list twice, but something is screwy with my computer, ISP, or both. It won't go through.

Here we go:
Lee W - air filter(I have), fuel filter & quick connects(I have to get) Where is the best place to buy QC's? Is brass the way to go?

Thanks for setting this up Randy. I look forward to seeing you guys on the 1st.

Lee
post #15 of 49 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 4:43 pm

I'd sure like to attend just to hang-out or help out if needed. Tech session only.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #16 of 49 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 8:07 pm

I plan on coming up just to hang-out or gofer if needed. tech-sesson only. Dan Brown Statesville
post #17 of 49 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Chilkoot Charlie - 24k service
Lee W - air filter(I have), fuel filter & quick connects(I have to get) Where is the best place to buy QC's? Is brass the way to go?
Dan Brown - spectator/gofer
PastorJack - spectator techinician extraordinaire?
joe g - maybe?
post #18 of 49 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 8:52 am Thread Starter

Guys,

If we don;t get enough interest to hold the ERC, would it be okay to put the tech session off a few weeks or a month? We are in the process of trying to buy a house and we could hold it there after we get moved, which may take a while. But I really hate to ask college to open up if there is no class going on.

Our new place (if it all goes thru) will have plenty of garage space to spread out and work on several things at once.

Give me your thoughts...
Randy
post #19 of 49 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 9:29 am

Makes sense to me Randy. Keep us posted on the ERC enrollment. I don't have many riding buddies in this area, or I'd try and drum up more business.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #20 of 49 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:57 am Thread Starter

It's hard to get an ERC to fill, especially in this area. People think they know it all and don;'t have time to devote to learning more. Go figure.

randy
post #21 of 49 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Re: ERC and TECH SESSION, Surry County NC

Itís hard to believe there are so many riders out there that say they can gain nothing from an ERC. I talked with about ten riders in my building that I thought might be interested and two may sign up if there arenít any conflicting scheduled ballgames. I should know tomorrow. How many slots need to be filled to keep things going?

If this does fall through does anybody want to take a ride somewhere? Maybe Kentucky for some fried chicken.
post #22 of 49 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot_Charlie
Itís hard to believe there are so many riders out there that say they can gain nothing from an ERC. I talked with about ten riders in my building that I thought might be interested and two may sign up if there arenít any conflicting scheduled ballgames. I should know tomorrow. How many slots need to be filled to keep things going?

If this does fall through does anybody want to take a ride somewhere? Maybe Kentucky for some fried chicken.
That sounds good Charlie, and we can get your services done soon anyway. I'll give you a call.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #23 of 49 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 6:57 am Thread Starter

We signed contract on house yesterday. So we have a month or so to wait, if you guys can make it that long.

As for the ERC, we need at least 6 to run with one coach, 8 or more for two coaches, I think.

It's not really that they openly say they can't learn; folks just don;t want to take the time to do it. Many ppl say they want to take one, but have a bunch of excuses not to.

Randy
post #24 of 49 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 8:11 pm

[QUOTE=bowlesj]I'll plan on attending the tech session portion as well. I'll fill the trailer with everything I can think of based on what work is planned./QUOTE]

John, I went to BMW today and picked up fuel filter, quick connects, etc. for filter change. Speaking with the man behind the counter and one of the techs, there is some sort of plastic cap over the fuel filter. The exploded parts diagram showed the cap and a rubber gasket that goes under the cap to be 99mm in diameter. Do you have a tool for removing this cap? If need be, I can make a call to BMW, see if they have the tool, and go pick it up.

They also told me my 2K has brake fluid that needs to be flushed from the ABS system. I didn't do or know anything about this when I bled my brakes from the master cylinders to the bleeder screws last fall. If this is the case, I'll need to do ABS flushing.

Updating my work list:

Lee W - air filter, fuel filter, ABS fluid flush

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #25 of 49 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 8:33 pm

[QUOTE=Lee510]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
I'll plan on attending the tech session portion as well. I'll fill the trailer with everything I can think of based on what work is planned./QUOTE]

John, I went to BMW today and picked up fuel filter, quick connects, etc. for filter change. Speaking with the man behind the counter and one of the techs, there is some sort of plastic cap over the fuel filter. The exploded parts diagram showed the cap and a rubber gasket that goes under the cap to be 99mm in diameter. Do you have a tool for removing this cap? If need be, I can make a call to BMW, see if they have the tool, and go pick it up.

They also told me my 2K has brake fluid that needs to be flushed from the ABS system. I didn't do or know anything about this when I bled my brakes from the master cylinders to the bleeder screws last fall. If this is the case, I'll need to do ABS flushing.

Updating my work list:

Hi Lee,

On the fuel pump/filter retainer, the tool required to remove it is a rubber or fabric strap wrench. Most auto parts stores have one, maybe even Walmart. I've had mine for quite some time. I guess a large set of channel lock pliers would work as well. The rubber gasket is reusable a couple times.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #26 of 49 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 7:45 am

Randy

John and I knocked out my 24K this weekend so you can scratch me for that. It pays to have someone who knows what their doing. Thanks John. I still need to add a high beam HID so I'm still in for the tech session. Is it still looking like it may be moved back a month?

Charlie
post #27 of 49 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 6:10 pm

Quote:
rubber or fabric strap wrench
Thanks for the info on the rubber strap wrench. I've seen them, but never bought one, because I didn't know what I'd ever need one for. Now that I have a use for one, I'll pick it up this week.

Can anyone confirm that the ABS system on a 2000 model uses brake fluid? I know the brakes aren't integrated. The ABS sensors have wiring that runs up inside Big Kitty's innards. I've not had opportunity to tear things apart deep enough to find where the wires go.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Last edited by Lee510; Feb 17th, 2008 at 6:16 pm.
post #28 of 49 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 7:39 am Thread Starter

I used a large pair of channel locks on mine. Carefully. Re-used the gasket and everything seems to be working fine.

Charlie: okay on the 24k service.

We do house inspection in about an hour, so we'll be one step closer to having a "proper" place for a tech session later if we don;t do March 1. I'm supposed to meet with the director of the training center at college and will discuss that this evening.

Randy
post #29 of 49 Old Feb 20th, 2008, 7:11 am Thread Starter

Okay - talked to director of Training Center. He said they are going to be there doing a burn in the burn bldg that day anyway, so we are welcome to come use the garage.

So let's go ahead with plans for March 1 at Surry Community College in Dobson NC. Does anyone need directions or coordinates?

No one is signed up for ERC at this point.

Randy
post #30 of 49 Old Feb 20th, 2008, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
Does anyone need directions or coordinates?

Randy
I don't have GPS, so directions would be great. Thanks, Randy.

Lee
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #31 of 49 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Directions to Surry Community College.

From I 77 North or south: take exit 93. Turn right at stop sign. Nice country road for about 5 - 7 miles. Follow to second stoplight. Main Street. Courthouse on right. Burger King across intersection. Turn right onto Main Street.

Follow Main Street past Neighbors convenience store. Continue. A road will be coming in from the right. You will see the Surry EMC (Electric Membership Corporation) on right. Turn right beyond it, onto Spoon Street. At stop sign, you will see baseball field directly in front of you. Turn right, and almost immediately turn left. Small sign there and you can see bldg W.

Go down driveway, thru gate. You will see all grades of emergency equipment and a propane tank farm. Watch for traffic as you get to driving range. The garage is straight ahead at far right corner of lot, beyond parking spaces. That's where we will be. There will be firemen there doing a burn in the burn bldg, so be on the lookout for them. They get fire on their minds and lose track of the rest of the world.

From US 52N (winston-Salem, GSO, etc): Take 52 North from Winston Salem. Take I-74 split, (North?) It splits off to left. Take US601 exit. Turn left at stop sign. Take Dobson exit. Or if you want a slightly more interesting ride, turn right at stoplight on 601. Follow into town. At first light continue straight and see above directions from Main Street.

If you take Dobson exit, turn right at stop sign, go to first light, turn left. Follow directions above from Main street.

For those of you looking for coordinates, I'll have to look them up later.

Randy
post #32 of 49 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 7:25 pm

I lost my kitchen pass for a couple days, but I got it back. I'll be there. Do I need to bring everything, including oil pans etc? Probably have room. Also, are we getting started at 8:00Am. And one more thing, is there Internet access or a wireless signal available?

Anyone going to the session want to caravan up I-77? I'll be at the I-40/I-77 interchange heading north on I-77 at 7:00 AM.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #33 of 49 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 7:20 am

Randy,

As luck would have it, this is the last "local" JO Volleyball regional competition my Daughter will compete in this season. Se's in Greensboro, but, it just won't work out for me this time.

I'll have to take a rain check.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #34 of 49 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 6:56 am Thread Starter

I would rather start about 9:30 - that would work out better for my family schedule. My daughter has gymnastics starting at 9 am. SO I could drop her off and then be to college by 9:30, without the wife having to pack up the baby just to run the girl across town.

I'm not sure what time the fire guys are starting - I'll call and ask. But 9:30 also would preclude folks having to get up and out quite as early.

I'm not sure about internet access in the garage or wireless signal. I know some phones get very limited access down there. Another thing to check for.

I figure I'll bring whatever hand tools and cordless drill and screwdriver. Whatever I can fit in the bike. I would rather not use the college's stuff, but I'm sure they will be okay with us using tools, if we forget something.

I'll check with the director on oil disposal and such.

Randy
post #35 of 49 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 8:34 am Thread Starter

Per the director of training center:

We have drain pans and a used oil container. Howard will be there around 7:45-8:00. There is wireless in the ESTC and it worked about 3/4 of the way out the driving track.

Howard is an employee of the college who makes everything run smoothly.

Let me know on start time.
Randy
post #36 of 49 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 8:10 am Thread Starter

Here is what we have so far. Where is John? Waiting on him to agree on start time. What does everyone else think?

Where is everyone? At any rate, I'm still planning to be there, whenever you guys want to get together. My buddy has some other things come up, so he won't be there for a canisterectomy.

Chilkoot Charlie - High beam HID
PastorJack - spectator techinician extraordinaire?

Randy
post #37 of 49 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 10:59 am

Randy,

I will be there about 0800. I thought you needed to start later. If so thats not a problem for me, just set a time. It looks like we have plenty of help. It looks like its going to be a balmy 37 deg. for the ride. I hit the road at 22 this morning.
post #38 of 49 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

I would prefer 9:30, so my wife doesn't have to take all 3 kids to drop one off at gymnastics. But I need to hear from John, as our head tech, since he knows how long it may take to do everything we need to do.

Randy
post #39 of 49 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 1:20 pm

I have been trading PMs with John about the possibility of attending the Tech Session. I was thinking about bringing materials for a 12k service and/or possibly swapping out my throttle cables. Looks like I will be able to attend so count me in. It's more than a three hour trip for me so starting around 9:30 suits my schedule.

I had told John I was inclined to skip the service but since the schedule looks pretty open I will probably pick up my fluids and filters just in case.

I'll bring whatever tools and bits I have to help out.
post #40 of 49 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 1:51 pm Thread Starter

Update:

Chilkoot Charlie - High beam HID
PastorJack - spectator technician extraordinaire?
wcarter - 12K service.

That's not too bad so far - 3 bikes for service and at least as many helpers.

Randy
post #41 of 49 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 2:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot_Charlie
Randy,

I will be there about 0800. I thought you needed to start later. If so thats not a problem for me, just set a time. It looks like we have plenty of help. It looks like its going to be a balmy 37 deg. for the ride. I hit the road at 22 this morning.
Well, at least your bike is running

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #42 of 49 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Ok, Ok here I am. 9:30 is good, especially since my wife is heading north and we can caravan together for a couple hours.

See you guys there.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #43 of 49 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

GReat! That sure will help me out.

Randy
post #44 of 49 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Well, at least your bike is running
I'am getting pretty good at pulling tupperware. This will make the third weekend in a row.
Anyone coming thru Winston? Liberty dinner has a good breakfast if anyone wants to meet and ride up together.

Charlie
post #45 of 49 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 11:03 pm

It was good seeing all you guys Sat. I appreciate all the help tearing apart, doing maintenance, and putting together.

Lee
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #46 of 49 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 6:28 am

Same here. Big time thanks to John and everyone else who helped out. New throttle cables really help the old wrist. Looking forward to my next ride on real roads.
post #47 of 49 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 7:22 am

Hay All,
It was great to see you guys again and meet some new folks. Thanks Randy for putting it all together and please tell Howard thanks for his hospitality.

Charlie
post #48 of 49 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 8:21 am

Same here fellas. Good to see everyone made it home in good shape. The facility really was great, thanks Randy and SCC. Let's stay in touch on the STC thing in April.

So busy with stuff, that I had my camera but forgot to take it out to snap some shots.

See ya,

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #49 of 49 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 8:45 am Thread Starter

Thanks. It was no big thing. Nice to see ya'll again and meet Waymon.

I got home and the bike started reluctantly. I reached under the seat to make sure heat was off and I think It may have been on, which might explain why it wouldn't start initially. Too much drain on an old battery. I try to make sure it's off, but may have inadvertently left it on.

Talk to yas later.
Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in