Had to ride today - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 6:08 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bowlesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Glen Alpine, NC, USA
Posts: 1,431
Had to ride today

I had to ride over to Greensboro today to pick up, of all things, a replacement hydraulic valve solenoid coil we found shorted at the plant this weekend. Saw one bike all the 220 miles there and back. Of course it was an LT Eastbound on I-40 just west of Greensboro.

Anyone here? Looked like an '05 or newer, dark graphite or black.

Not very cold, 37-46, very clear skies, I didn't even have my normal cold weather gear, just no one riding. So sad.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
bowlesj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 6:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,159
Not me John, but I did ride to work today and saw only one other bike. 28 on the way in and 48 on the way home.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 6:42 pm
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 609
Hey John!!

Not unless you saw me in C-Town........the ice finally melted away and it was a good couple hour ride in the mid 30's........LT's and cold are a perfect combo!!!!!!
Mike
shadowofshoe is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 10:01 pm
Senior Member
 
hschisler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rushville, OH, USA
Posts: 7,768
Right model year, right color, but it sure wasn't me: ice on the concrete apron outside the garage is keeping the LT parked inside.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hschisler is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 10:04 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bowlesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Glen Alpine, NC, USA
Posts: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Right model year, right color, but it sure wasn't me: ice on the concrete apron outside the garage is keeping the LT parked inside.
You sure? It sure looked like you

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
bowlesj is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 10:15 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bowlesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Glen Alpine, NC, USA
Posts: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofshoe
Hey John!!

Not unless you saw me in C-Town........the ice finally melted away and it was a good couple hour ride in the mid 30's........LT's and cold are a perfect combo!!!!!!
Mike
No sorry, Mike it was down here. Glad you got some decent riding in.

Now here's a funny story.

We got 4 inches of snow yesterday. I had all kinds of people off at the plant due to inability to drive in the snow So, about 11:00AM I had to go to the post office to pick up a package which is right across the street from my house. By then it was basically drizzling with 34F temps. I saw my bike sitting there and thought, what the hell, I'll show em. So I rode it back to work in the slush (there was a lot of clear pavement with just dampness). Up till that point 50% of second shift wasn't coming in to work. When the word got out that I rode the bike, it became a perfect attendance night.

That'll make a good story for a while. With more snow forecasted tomorrow you can bet they'll all be there. Lead by example - that's my motto

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
bowlesj is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 12:22 am
Senior Member
 
sonnata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
No sorry, Mike it was down here. Glad you got some decent riding in.

Now here's a funny story.

We got 4 inches of snow yesterday. I had all kinds of people off at the plant due to inability to drive in the snow So, about 11:00AM I had to go to the post office to pick up a package which is right across the street from my house. By then it was basically drizzling with 34F temps. I saw my bike sitting there and thought, what the hell, I'll show em. So I rode it back to work in the slush (there was a lot of clear pavement with just dampness). Up till that point 50% of second shift wasn't coming in to work. When the word got out that I rode the bike, it became a perfect attendance night.

That'll make a good story for a while. With more snow forecasted tomorrow you can bet they'll all be there. Lead by example - that's my motto
People wouldn't drive in 4 inches of snow? You're pullin' my tit. Do cars not have all weather tires down there? Good for you for riding the bike back to work, John. I love it! I'll bet they looked at you like you were nuts.

I'd kill for some 34 degree weather & slush. Haven't ridden since Dec 1st & I'm getting really antsy. Soon as the ice melts off of my driveway, I'm gone, but given our weekend forecast, that won't be anytime soon.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
sonnata is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 8:28 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bowlesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Glen Alpine, NC, USA
Posts: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
People wouldn't drive in 4 inches of snow? You're pullin' my tit. Do cars not have all weather tires down there? Good for you for riding the bike back to work, John. I love it! I'll bet they looked at you like you were nuts.

I'd kill for some 34 degree weather & slush. Haven't ridden since Dec 1st & I'm getting really antsy. Soon as the ice melts off of my driveway, I'm gone, but given our weekend forecast, that won't be anytime soon.
Well Kevin, in their defense, the streets aren't cleared here like in the the Twin Cities, where our company is based and I moved down here from. Plus we are in the foothills area which is a bit hilly. When I tell them I can drive in it fine they just blow that off that I'm used to it. So the bike does help a bit, once the roads are a little clearer than at 6:00 AM of course.

Get warm soon.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
bowlesj is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 10:41 am
Senior Member
 
sonnata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Posts: 385
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Well Kevin, in their defense, the streets aren't cleared here like in the the Twin Cities, where our company is based and I moved down here from. Plus we are in the foothills area which is a bit hilly. When I tell them I can drive in it fine they just blow that off that I'm used to it. So the bike does help a bit, once the roads are a little clearer than at 6:00 AM of course.

Get warm soon.
Hills do make a difference, so I can certainly understand. I live in Plymouth, which is pretty much flat. Tires make a huge difference too. I bought a new Toyota Matrix a couple of years ago & the first time it snowed I barely got out of my driveway, which only has about a 1 degree grade. It had the worst tires for snow I've ever had on a new car. Promptly got some proper snow tires for it.

I just came in from checking the driveway. There's a couple of strips of bare pavement. I think if I get a running start out of the garage I can do a 90 deg. turn in the neighbor's driveway & make it up to the entrance of the street for a ride. Temp this morning was -15 & I'm anxious to try out my new Gerbings stuff in actual cold weather.

Hope you get some great riding in this weekend. This is about the only time of year I wish I lived farther south.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
sonnata is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DUI Interesting article! vvk Bike Talk 69 Nov 13th, 2008 6:39 pm
Me too. Victory Vision test ride today. motorman587 Bike Talk 1 Jul 29th, 2007 7:42 pm
we ride today to jrosalem israel zgmpl K1200LT 3 Aug 27th, 2006 3:02 pm
Nice ride today Lzyellodog Ride Tales 4 Feb 10th, 2006 7:38 am
Did you ride today? AlaskaFish Chit Chat 13 Feb 8th, 2006 5:59 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome