STC - A call for volunteers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 4:22 pm Thread Starter

STC - A call for volunteers

Calling for volunteers to make STC the best ever.

STC is usually the event for riding, eating and tech sessions along with plenty of tire kicking.

Spring Training Camp for Riders, April 17, 18, 19, 2008

From an earlier thread, I ask what you wanted to see and do at STC 2008, here is a list of possible tech sessions or presentations.

Brake Bleeding demo – John Zeiler

GS-911 Emergency Diagnostic Tool demo- Dave Dragon

Garmin GPS software methods
Rubber band routing with Mapsource- Don Norwood
Need more volunteers for this as well and choose your topic.

Farkle and Electronics install demo

Ride report via slideshow.
What to do and see and what not to do and see.

Riding gear and quality comparisons

The dates have been confirmed and rooms blocked with Ironhorse Lodge, please make note of these dates for your 2008 planning. Contact the Lodge for your reservation needs. www.ironhorsenc.com

Watch this thread for updates as we near the event.

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 8:05 am

Farkle and Electronics install demo:

Hey Don,
I don't have anything specific in mind relative to the above category, I'm pretty much done farkleizing my own bikes. However, if someone has a specific project or farkle install with which they need some assistance I'd be happy to pack some tools and lend a hand. I'd recommend that they contact us in advance with a description of the project so we can come prepared.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 9:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
Farkle and Electronics install demo:

Hey Don,
I don't have anything specific in mind relative to the above category, I'm pretty much done farkleizing my own bikes. However, if someone has a specific project or farkle install with which they need some assistance I'd be happy to pack some tools and lend a hand. I'd recommend that they contact us in advance with a description of the project so we can come prepared.
Lynn that will work, thanks and Happy New Year!

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"

post #4 of 19 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 10:38 am

Demo re Installing a Radar Detector - Possible?

Lynn,

Saw your note re demo re farkles/electronics. I just bought a radar detector (Beltronics RX55) and have made a mount off the right mirror handlebar. Maybe you could demo/discuss how to hook it up/hard wire it. Some issues of concern - Can it tie into the wiring in the right handlebar? Should we link it to a fuse block (recommendations re brand, where to get it), should we have a relay between fuse block and battery? Can we make a "home made" connection using telephone cord and a fuse? Do we need audio or is the unit loud enough to hear when on the highway - if we need audio, can we tie it into the BMW speaker system?

Just some thoughts.

Thanks!

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #5 of 19 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully2028
Lynn,

Saw your note re demo re farkles/electronics. I just bought a radar detector (Beltronics RX55) and have made a mount off the right mirror handlebar. Maybe you could demo/discuss how to hook it up/hard wire it. Some issues of concern - Can it tie into the wiring in the right handlebar? Should we link it to a fuse block (recommendations re brand, where to get it), should we have a relay between fuse block and battery? Can we make a "home made" connection using telephone cord and a fuse? Do we need audio or is the unit loud enough to hear when on the highway - if we need audio, can we tie it into the BMW speaker system?

Just some thoughts.

Thanks!
Dan,
I guess the answer to most of your questions is, It Depends!

I'll try and cover a few of the options here. Others may feel free to join in the discussion. If it gets too lengthy we may want to move this to another FORUM.

1. I'm not aware of any existing wiring in the right handle bar that is suitable for supplying power to the detector.

2. If the only accessory that your ever going to add to your LT is the radar detector you can get by with connecting directly to the battery or, depending on the required power, one of a couple of other switched power sources like the parking light or heated seat power for example.

3. Regardless of where you tap into power I would suggest installing an inline fuse to protect the added circuit.

4. I'm not familiar with the power requirements of your specific unit but I would caution you to determine whether it is designed to run directly off of 12V dc or if the "cigarette lighter adapter" supplied with the unit also modifies the output voltage to some lower value. If the latter is the case then you will have to include the cigarette lighter adapter inline with the power source.

5. If you think you might want to add additional electrical farkles in the future, driving light, GPS, intercom, etc. then the recommendation would of course be to add a multi circuit fuse block as part of the installation. This option would include sourcing power directly from the battery through a relay and an inline fuse. Typical high quality fuse blocks that have been used by myself and other members are: http://bluesea.com/products/5025 and
http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/panels/ap1.shtml .

6. Not sure I'd recommend "telephone wire" although it will probably work depending on the power requirements of the unit. However, there are lots of choices for either single or multi wire conductors available from big box home centers, Radio Shack, or other electronics supply houses.

7. Don't know if the audio supplied directly from the unit is loud enough to be heard with a helmet on at highway speed, however I doubt it. I do not personally run a radar detector and so have no experience in that area. If the unit has an available aux audio output and you have an intercom with installed helmet head set it is probably possible to wire the detector audio through the AUX input in the intercom. I believe, although probably possible, that if you do not have an existing intercom it will be difficult to supply the audio output directly to the bike speakers. I'm guessing that it would require a separate amplifier and filters to prevent feedback between the radio and detector.

Hope this helps at least a little. If you have additional questions let me know and I'll try to answer.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 1:42 am

Hi Dan,

Lynn has given you lots of good information in his response to your post.

The request for volunteers for STC is to ask folks to volunteer their time at Spring Training Camp to help with things folks might want to see done. If you were coming down here in April for that, then we would try to have someone that could help you with it. If you just looking for information on how to install it because your not coming then I would ask your question in the Radar Detector forum. You'll get a lot more visibility there, than you would posting in a regional forum.

We hope you come in join us in April. Lots of good folks, good roads and good food.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 19 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:38 am

I am willing to help with electronics installs or anything else (well, no dance lessons!). I will not have room to bring tools, however.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #8 of 19 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 3:43 pm

Bike-puter 101

I am trying to develop a bike-puter similiar to the one that someone here posted but using Linux as the ops system. If I get it done in time I would be happy to share that info with the crowd.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #9 of 19 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
I am willing to help with electronics installs or anything else (well, no dance lessons!). I will not have room to bring tools, however.
We should have the tools at the lodge and Lynn and other will bring items as well.

Let me know when you sign up with Ironhorse and list on the Roster thread.

Looking forward to seeing you at STC in April

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #10 of 19 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
I am trying to develop a bike-puter similiar to the one that someone here posted but using Linux as the ops system. If I get it done in time I would be happy to share that info with the crowd.
Hope you can attend and have the bike-puter ready..

Contact Ironhorse Lodge www.ironhorsenc.ocm for you reservations and then sign up on the Roster thread...

Looking forward to seeing the bike-puter....

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #11 of 19 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully2028
Lynn,

Just some thoughts.

Thanks!
Dan, hope you can make it down for STC in Western North Carolina, our tech sessions and information exchange will be on site at the event.

Contact Ironhorse Lodge www.ironhorsenc.com for reservations and then sign up on the Roster thread on this Southeast forum...

Hope you can make it... fun, food, riding, information, ride stories, tire kicking and sweet tea...

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #12 of 19 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak

Thanks, I see where you guys are signed up, I think we where posting as same time.

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #13 of 19 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
Thanks, I see your post that you are signed up...

Great, looking forward to seeing you guys in Western North Carolina...

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #14 of 19 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 9:13 pm

Do you think anyone would be interested in a Slave Cylinder Weep Hole demo? If so, I'll try to talk my wife into letting me go and maybe I could host it. I have all the tools and have done at least 5 of them! If there's interest and a "donor" bike, we can get it done. let me know!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #15 of 19 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Do you think anyone would be interested in a Slave Cylinder Weep Hole demo? If so, I'll try to talk my wife into letting me go and maybe I could host it. I have all the tools and have done at least 5 of them! If there's interest and a "donor" bike, we can get it done. let me know!
Jack, sounds good to me, I hope that you can make it over.. BTW, on Sunday morning we have biker church, would love for you to help with that as well.

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #16 of 19 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:42 pm

I'll check with the boss and check the calendar and get back ASAP! Thanks.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #17 of 19 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 5:52 pm

Hey...I'm in for the trip if there is any room in the inn I have emailed them and they are going to call me back with availability!

If there is someone who is interested in getting a Slave Cylinder Weephole...we'd be glad to do it!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #18 of 19 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 5:44 am

We have our "donor" bike for the Clutch Slave Weephole Procedure. Since this is a demo, we will only be doing one. Looking forward to it!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #19 of 19 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 2:29 pm

Installing driving lights/additional lighting, hypper lights, Ipod, radar detector, GPS, power connections, and or communication stuff, & highway pegs is my initial questions. Making the bike more visible is always a good topic. Service intervals and which products to use is a quick but good lil hand out or discussion too.

1985 K100RT 90k
1981 R100RT 56k miles Sold
2000 K1200LT 48k miles Sold
2003 Victory Vegas-12k miles Sold
1982 Suzuki GS550L only 299 miles Sold
1997 Yamaha Vmax-15k miles Sold
1996 Suzuki DR650-17k miles Sold
1996 R1100RT-27k miles Sold
1995 K1100LT-85k miles Sold
1982 Honda CB900F-33k mikes Sold
BMWMOA 138762[/I]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in