Experienced Rider Course Report - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

Experienced Rider Course Report

First of all, I'd like to thank Joseph and Ron for being such kind, yet firm, Rider Coaches. Joseph rides an LT, lurks here some, but doesn't post much. Watching him pilot the LT around the various courses, while dragging hard parts, was something to see and hear. Ron rides an Electra Glide, but we won't hold that against him. He worked setting up the range and did it all as a volunteer. You can't buy that type of dedication to the MSF organization or to us, the students he coaches.

Nine of us, including 2 Coaches and 1 passenger, braved the mid-30 degree temps this morning to gain some knowledge. While it appeared to me that everyone else was doing well with the exercises, I decided it was time to act like I had never been on, or maybe even seen, a motorcycle. I'm glad I couldn't hear what Joseph was thinking. He kept giving me pointers and encouraging me to keep practicing. For all who witnessed the dragging of the knuckles, I passed the BRC in '06 and didn't lose that many points. Honest!

Once we completed the low-speed, tight manuevers, we moved on to exercises that used more range space. What a relief. The ninth and last exercise was where we really had to lean in the turns. I know John and I scraped hard parts (feet of the centerstand). Not sure if Kirk and Charlie did. The first time mine scraped, I went wide in the corner. There was no loose feeling or loss of control. The sound of it was what got to me. I scraped a couple more times and was able to maintain my line each time.

One important exercise was activating the anti-lock brakes. If you've never done this, and I hadn't, it probably is a good thing to do. You'll know how the bike will handle and what the anti-lock system feels like when working. Going straight, 2nd gear, 15-20 mph, roll off the throttle, and apply front AND rear brakes, HARD. She'll stop, quick.

Joseph said time and again, "We're going to have some fun with this exercise." I think what he meant was, "Your eyeballs are going to pop out and I'm going to laugh at you!" Seriously, the class was fun. Tough, but still enjoyable. For anyone not having taken the BRC or the ERC, consider signing up for one or both. You'll be a better rider for it.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 11:05 am

Thank you Lee, Joeseph, & Ron!

... and the rest of the group, too! I really appreciate Lee posting the ERC information and keeping us up to date. The class was a lot of fun and a lot of hard work too, but well worth it.

Laura & I had a great time. Thank you to all for your support as we worked through the exercises. If you ride 2-up you need to take this class 2-up. We even scraped the center stand a couple of times on the final exercises. On Friday, I would never have imagined we would have been doing that on Saturday, and lived to laugh about it on Sunday.

I can not say enough about how well Joseph and Ron worked together and kept the class moving. The quick stop and "Fatal Vision" exercises were worth the cost of the class alone. The rest of it was just an added bonus!

- Kirk Simons -
2005 K1200LT - LeRoi
1988 NT650GT - One of these days
1986 VFR700 - VFROOM
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 9:04 am

ERC's are usually a lot more fun than the BRC version, where everything has to be pretty strictly moderated. The ERCs are more relaxed atmosphere all the way around. And you guys did have two great coaches. I enjoy working with both of them a lot.

As you guys said, tthe things you learned are things that are important to feel. And learning them in a controlled atmosphere is way better than learning them on the road, in the heat of the moment.

I have two ERCs scheduled at Surry in March. Joseph has asked to coach one of them. I'm good with that. What I'd like to do is to also have a "tech session" on that date also. We'll have to get enough LT riders to make it work, but we can probably do that, between the ERC and the tech stuff.

I'll post it up again around the first of the year, to see if we can get it worked out.

Glad you guys had a great time and learned some in the process.

Randy

post #4 of 5 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:34 am

Does anyone have an update on the ERC or the tech session in March?

Thanks
post #5 of 5 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:02 am

I'll post up about it.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in