Tire Changer Proposal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

Tire Changer Proposal

After Howard's thread on tire changers I received a couple PM's. Got me thinking.

Would anyone in this region be interested in combining resources to purchase a tire changer, about $800-$1000 No-Mar? Unless someone would prefer to mount it at their place, I propose mounting at my plant which is exactly at exit 98 off I-40. I do a lot of my automotive maintenance there already and have a complete welding kit and machine shop. (thought about holding the tech session there but was too hot) Access is available to the plant 7 days a week from 6AM to 8PM. I do not have to be there, and you can ride in.

That's the very basics of it. If interested, PM me and then if enough interest we can talk about the logistics, part ownership issues, etc.

Don't worry, I have other tools at the plant, and if I leave employ, they all go with me. Not likely to happen though.

I have had other friends who have co-owned changers and it worked out well for all.

Let me know.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

Last edited by bowlesj; Oct 25th, 2007 at 7:43 pm. Reason: spell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 8:50 pm

You have my attention. May depend on how many people and access to an equally good balancer.

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz9705
You have my attention. May depend on how many people and access to an equally good balancer.
Hi Jay,

You'd have a further ride than most , but glad your interested. A decent computer spin balancer and changer can be had right now on E-bay for $1500-2000.

Also, for others, I didn't mention that tires could be drop shipped to the plant. I receive equipment shipments via UPS and Fed-ex daily, and a few bike tires are no problem. All incoming tools and parts come through me personally.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 6:47 pm

John, the gentlemanly thing to do in this instance would be to have the tire changer and associated equipment installed at my place. You all would be welcome to ride in and use it any time, of course. Plenty of concrete parking, water, electric, fridge...

But seriously, that's a great idea. Would you and the co-owners do tire work for others (i.e., non-owners) for a contribution to the cause?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Yes, Howard, absolutely. Very convenient location to anyone traveling East/West in the south, and certainly extremely low prices.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been much interest. I'd hoped at least a general discussion would develop.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 9:40 pm

Dunno, John. It's only about 75 miles. I ride 120, one way, to the dealership now.

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA
post #7 of 14 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 5:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Hi Jay,

You'd have a further ride than most , but glad your interested. A decent computer spin balancer and changer can be had right now on E-bay for $1500-2000.

Also, for others, I didn't mention that tires could be drop shipped to the plant. I receive equipment shipments via UPS and Fed-ex daily, and a few bike tires are no problem. All incoming tools and parts come through me personally.
a Friend and I have been planning the same thing here in Ga. there is a purchase for 1800 new for a spin balancer and changer,

oops that is COMBO Tire Changer and Wheel Balancer
APTC20 & APWB24 $1,595.00 plus freight

Separately sold for $ 895.00
EACH!

anyhow, the least expensive tire changer I have seen that looked half decent was 850 so far, however there is a place here in atlanta that carries them at 950 and you can pick them up, I wonder if we get together and buy two if we could get a better price?

interested?

OH BTW I have a static balancer I am very happy with as I have never needed to rebalance a tire and I have had to do that with the snap on tire balancer a few times, so I'll pass on a balancer

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #8 of 14 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional info Tom. There doesn't seem to be enough interest at this time for a community changer in this area.

I am not prepared to buy one myself. I have a shop nearby that puts them on the rim for me for $20. They even give me some wheel weights since they can't balance the rear tire anyway.

I use a Marc Parnes static balancer which is perfect. I too have had corrections on spin balancers, but a lot of guys like 'em.

I'm sure there are some guys right here in my area that have a changer, I just need to find out who they are.

I read your post on your current manual setup - done it that way myself for many years. I'm just done wrestling tires off and on rims, my elbows say so.

See you around,

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #9 of 14 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 7:40 pm

Ride to Murphy, I'll hook you up.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #10 of 14 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 6:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Thanks for the additional info Tom. There doesn't seem to be enough interest at this time for a community changer in this area.

I am not prepared to buy one myself. I have a shop nearby that puts them on the rim for me for $20. They even give me some wheel weights since they can't balance the rear tire anyway.

I use a Marc Parnes static balancer which is perfect. I too have had corrections on spin balancers, but a lot of guys like 'em.

I'm sure there are some guys right here in my area that have a changer, I just need to find out who they are.

I read your post on your current manual setup - done it that way myself for many years. I'm just done wrestling tires off and on rims, my elbows say so.

See you around,
I'm in the same boat as you, seems we go through many tires each year even though we don't ride as many miles as we used to (karen only did 31k on her gs this year) but I'm tired of arm wrestling them on the wide lips of the gs rims (they are tougher than the lt rims) if I find a deal I'm buying one, if I find a deal on two I'll let ya know anyhow just to tempt you <g>

heheh

Tom

Tom

post #11 of 14 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 6:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC

your not far from me, I'm in Dahlonega, I have a friend that lives in murphy just off 129/74 about 47 miles from here

nive area up there you live in, I would love to move further that direction

Tom

Tom

post #12 of 14 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks again for the offer, If I was as close as Tom, I'd take you up on the offer. But 7 hours round trip for a tire change isn't efficient enough.

I know the riding is great, but often times, like this time, the change just sneaks up on you with limited time.

BTW - we were heading from Cherokee to Maggie Valley last week on 19 in the MINI and saw 2-3 LT's heading the other direction. Lead looked like a basalt or anthracite, #2 was silver, wasn't you was it? We were in the middle of one of the uphill right handers and I didn't get a good look.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #13 of 14 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 2:16 pm

Not me... We went to Maryville area last wekend.

In the mini- That would be a good topic, " If the LT is your touring bike what is your touring car?"
I personally have an MR2 Spyder for the car days.

Tom:
I am here for you if you need changing. I am a golf ball's chip from the Golf Coarse in Murphy.
My neighborhood is full of good twisties.
My ride around the block is 18 miles and to many curves to count.

If your in the area, give me a shout.
I see lots of LTs ride by the house on the weekends.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 2:44 pm

Quote:
Tom:
I am here for you if you need changing. I am a golf ball's chip from the Golf Coarse in Murphy.
My neighborhood is full of good twisties.
My ride around the block is 18 miles and to many curves to count.

If your in the area, give me a shout.
I see lots of LTs ride by the house on the weekends.
I've got the HF changer and balancer here but thanks!,

You do have some nice roads there, I have been tempted to come up and take the dirt road to the cherohala on the GSA but have been told it is really rough, I haven't been there in a couple month's I bet now though. Next time I head up if I remember I'll give ya a shout maybe we can grab lunch, if ya ever head down to Dahlonega or TWO let me know, we have a ton of good riding around here to, maybe we should put a meet at TWO for lunch before the season ends for them (just a thought)

Turners corner oopened back up with new owners but I was really dissapointed in the food at the price they are chargeing now WOW! they are higher than any place in Helen!

I very seldom ride my LT around here I usually ride the GSA locally

Tom
[email protected]

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in