Another Crash Story - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Angry Another Crash Story

Had a great time at the SMOKEY MOUNTAIN REUNION with one little exception. While following Cowboy Bob on his new GT and enjoying the beautiful fall scenery in the mountains a vehicle in front of us stopped to wait for oncoming traffic prior to making a left turn. I remember seeing Bob slow and believe I too applied my brakes and the next thing I remember is sliding down the road. Pretty much everything in between is a blank. Bob said that he had started to accelerate after the car made the turn and he felt a bump and then heard my bike sliding and grinding down the road. Bottom line is that I rear ended Bob and crashed. Fortunately Bob skillfully hung on and stayed upright. I had on my Gerbing jacket, Olympia air flow pants over blue jeans, a pair of elk skin leather gloves, BMW riding boots and my flip up helmet. The jacket is pretty well tore up on the right side, the pants are skinned and very dirty, the gloves are badly abraded and the helmet is worn down above the right temple and the face shield is badly scratched. The good news is that other than a very sore left hand I survived unscathed. The riding gear did it's job and I'm another living testament to ATGATT! The bike I was riding was my new to me 2000 GS. I believe it's repairable but I'm waiting for the insurance Co. to come pick it up so we can get an estimate.

After a lot of thought and examining the bike following the accident I believe that what happened is that I had no front brake and therefore didn't slow down even after applying the brakes. I say this because the bolt that holds the brake line to the front master cylinder was loose by about a quarter turn and there was no resistance when squeezing the brake lever. After serious examination I cannot see any evidence that that area was affected during the accident. Since I've only owned the bike about 2 weeks and don't have the most recent service records I can't say for sure that that's what happened but at least for now that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 1:18 pm

Oh, gee, Lynn!! Glad you're ok...at least well enough to type...

Hope all gets mended nicely...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 1:20 pm

Darn it Lynn! I'm really sorry to hear about this. But I'm VERY glad that you're OK. Riding with those hooligan GT riders is NEVER a good idea, doncha know?

post #4 of 30 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 2:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
The good news is that other than a very sore left hand I survived unscathed.
Glad to hear you are ok and you did not take Bob down with you Lynn, wish we could have made it up there and said hello to ya's

Tom
post #5 of 30 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 3:55 pm

Lynn, very sorry to hear about your mishap but very, very happy to hear that you are OK.

I had hoped to ride the Cherohala myself on my half day sprint to Ironhorse so I was tempted to tag along with you and Bob, but I had already decided to go to the Parkway with Brett and head back home from there. Had some things at home to get done.

We ran into a lot of traffic ourselves. It certainly adds to the risk when you are dodging cages.
post #6 of 30 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 5:23 pm

Lynn, sorry to hear about your get-off but grateful that you fared as well as you did.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 30 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 6:06 pm

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
Lynn, very sorry to hear about your mishap but very, very happy to hear that you are OK.

I had hoped to ride the Cherohala myself on my half day sprint to Ironhorse so I was tempted to tag along with you and Bob, but I had already decided to go to the Parkway with Brett and head back home from there. Had some things at home to get done.

We ran into a lot of traffic ourselves. It certainly adds to the risk when you are dodging cages.
We hugged on Cowboy Bob and Lynn and all is ok.

Mr Carter, you are correct, the traffic on the Blue Ridge Parkway was terrible!

After you peeled off we went to Pisgah Inn, there must have been a thousand cars there so we had a snack at the store and then headed back to Irohnorse for the Prime Rib. So you didn't miss that much, except the PRIME RIB!

Good seeing you again and hopefully we will see you at the Spring Fling!

Glad you made it back safely.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #8 of 30 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 6:49 pm

Red face wow

Sure gald to hear that you are ok Lynn! I'm sure this will remind me to wear the gear always. hope you can repair the damage easily.

Quote:
Had a great time at the SMOKEY MOUNTAIN REUNION with one little exception. While following Cowboy Bob on his new GT and enjoying the beautiful fall scenery in the mountains a vehicle in front of us stopped to wait for oncoming traffic prior to making a left turn. I remember seeing Bob slow and believe I too applied my brakes and the next thing I remember is sliding down the road. Pretty much everything in between is a blank. Bob said that he had started to accelerate after the car made the turn and he felt a bump and then heard my bike sliding and grinding down the road. Bottom line is that I rear ended Bob and crashed. Fortunately Bob skillfully hung on and stayed upright. I had on my Gerbing jacket, Olympia air flow pants over blue jeans, a pair of elk skin leather gloves, BMW riding boots and my flip up helmet. The jacket is pretty well tore up on the right side, the pants are skinned and very dirty, the gloves are badly abraded and the helmet is worn down above the right temple and the face shield is badly scratched. The good news is that other than a very sore left hand I survived unscathed. The riding gear did it's job and I'm another living testament to ATGATT! The bike I was riding was my new to me 2000 GS. I believe it's repairable but I'm waiting for the insurance Co. to come pick it up so we can get an estimate.

After a lot of thought and examining the bike following the accident I believe that what happened is that I had no front brake and therefore didn't slow down even after applying the brakes. I say this because the bolt that holds the brake line to the front master cylinder was loose by about a quarter turn and there was no resistance when squeezing the brake lever. After serious examination I cannot see any evidence that that area was affected during the accident. Since I've only owned the bike about 2 weeks and don't have the most recent service records I can't say for sure that that's what happened but at least for now that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
post #9 of 30 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 7:46 pm

Lynn, sorry to hear of this but very, very happy to hear that all is (mostly) well. It's through sharing ride tales like yours that we all can learn something. Let us know how this turns out.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 30 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 4:14 am

This was different kind of day. I was riding with Jay, Gilda, Sharon and Janet to look at the leaves on the Skyway. Bob and Lynn had passed us while we were are a pullout looking back into one of the valleys.

It wasn't 5 minutes later and we were down the road and being flagged to slow down. Jay had seen who was down in the ditch and was pulling over with Janet in the back seat saying "It's Lynn. It's Lynn" Lynn was just starting to stand up when we got there. You could tell he was pretty frazzled and really upset because he couldn't figure out what had happened. There was a really great couple that was making sure he was okay. We had visits from the local rescue units (who had just been to another accident on the Cherahola), Mary Jane a National Park Service Ranger, Tellico Plains Ambulance Service, Sgt Acuff from the Sheriff's Department, and the Tennesse State Patrol.

And since Lynn started this thread, I'll post some pictures. And while Lynn did have a rough day he did manage to eat dinner. And though I don't know whether it was Prime Rib or Salmon, he did finish off the meal with a CBS!!!!

Oh yeah, the colors were still great even with the wrecker in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	14924   Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	14925   Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck3.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	14926   Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck4.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	14927   Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck5.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	14928  

Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck6.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	14929   Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck7.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	14930   Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck8.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	14931   Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck9.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	14932   Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck10.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	14933  

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 30 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 6:09 am

Lynn is was nice to meet and talk to you and your wife at Ironhorse. really sorry to hear of your mishap but I am glad to hear that you are OK.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #12 of 30 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 6:14 am Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the well wishes. Still a little sore here and there and the hand is still swollen some but improving. And Steve, thanks for the photos although the one of me stuffing my face with an Iron Horse CBS somehow doesn't seen to be at all related to the situation! :~) But OH boy was it good!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #13 of 30 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 12:22 pm

Actually, I think it shows that you still had an appetite and the end of the day.

Believe me I remember being sore for days after my little get off on Sept 1. I'm finally starting to heal, but after being on crutches for the last two weeks, I'm not sure that I'm gaining on the shoulder anymore.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #14 of 30 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 1:49 pm

Garage
As the saying goes, any accident you can walk away from is a good one.

I'm glad your okay and hope you feel better soon!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #15 of 30 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 6:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Actually, I think it shows that you still had an appetite and the end of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn
thanks for the photos although the one of me stuffing my face with an Iron Horse CBS somehow doesn't seen to be at all related to the situation! :~) But OH boy was it good!

I ask Lynn about that...he said he was trying to catch me.... I told him he didn't have far to go!

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #16 of 30 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 7:00 pm

accident

Sorry to hear about your accident. More than anything I'm glad to hear you came out alright.

It seems I'm reading more and more about folks going down, I know here in Titusville I'm aware of a couple fatalities on North US1 in the last 1 1/2 years. It really makes you think every time you get on and especially the importance of wearing the gear.

heal up quick and hopefully all goes well with putting your bike back together.

Joe and Robin
2001 K1200LTC 60K miles
space coast of Florida
post #17 of 30 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 7:23 pm

Boy, it's tough to get a little sympathy in this group. I WAS THE ONE THAT (almost) GOT RUN OVER BY MR. KEEN! But who sez, "Hey Cowboy Bob, how are you? How's your GT?" Nobody, that's who. Bah.

Actually, I just got a check from Lynn's insurance carrier for over $2,500. My GT was rideable (and still is) after the incident, but it may have suffered more damage (in $$$) than Lynn's GS! I lost my rear fender, have a dented muffler (BIG $$), and the hit taken by the muffler (from Lynn's front tire, I assume) twisted the rear sub-frame of the GT. Parts are on order, but thanks to Steve's reattachment job on my license plate, I'm still riding it. Runs great.

I have an early November appointment at Touring Sport to fix the damage. While the bike is apart, I'm also having a Centech fuse panel installed, two additional Powerlet 12 volt outlets (without a 5 amp limitation so we can run 2 Gerbing jackets), and an Autocom intercom. A tank bag, and a small black Givi rack for the top of the trunk box, and the GT will be all set for my kind of touring (already have KonTour seats for rider and passenger). Installation of the new airbox and a computer mapping upgrade will complete the job, scheduled for 2 days.

BUT here's the absolute best part: Lynn wasn't seriously hurt.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #18 of 30 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Good to hear that you and Lynn are both OK and the GT absorbed the energy of the hit, with out putting you down. Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #19 of 30 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 9:05 pm

AS Paul Harvey would say.... The Rest of the Story....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
Boy, it's tough to get a little sympathy in this group. I WAS THE ONE THAT (almost) GOT RUN OVER BY MR. KEEN! But who sez, "Hey Cowboy Bob, how are you? How's your GT?" Nobody, that's who. Bah.

Actually, I just got a check from Lynn's insurance carrier for over $2,500. My GT was rideable (and still is) after the incident, but it may have suffered more damage (in $$$) than Lynn's GS! I lost my rear fender, have a dented muffler (BIG $$), and the hit taken by the muffler (from Lynn's front tire, I assume) twisted the rear sub-frame of the GT. Parts are on order, but thanks to Steve's reattachment job on my license plate, I'm still riding it. Runs great.

I have an early November appointment at Touring Sport to fix the damage. While the bike is apart, I'm also having a Centech fuse panel installed, two additional Powerlet 12 volt outlets (without a 5 amp limitation so we can run 2 Gerbing jackets), and an Autocom intercom. A tank bag, and a small black Givi rack for the top of the trunk box, and the GT will be all set for my kind of touring (already have KonTour seats for rider and passenger). Installation of the new airbox and a computer mapping upgrade will complete the job, scheduled for 2 days.

BUT here's the absolute best part: Lynn wasn't seriously hurt.

- Bob
IT appears by Cowboy Bob own admission that Lynn is the third guy to rear end his bike with Cowboy Bob at the helm. Sounds like a new ride next year, follow Cowboy Bob tech session....

Glad you guys where ok, just wish we had a better plan of action to retrieve the damaged bike, I had a enclosed setup.. I was watching AL beat TN to more mericyful end... and John Powell, keep a trailer as well...

More importaint, you guys had AGATT and where able to chow down at supper, like knowthing was ever wrong.....

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #20 of 30 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 2:35 pm

Quote:
Bob,

With all the sincerety in my heart...I'm truly sorry. I just assumed (yea, I know!) from Lynn's story that you avoided any injury to you, or the GT. My bad.

Glad to hear everyone's OK though. The bike's will be as good as new soon enough.
post #21 of 30 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 4:11 pm

Don, Where we were there was NO CELL phone service. Mary Jane from the National Park Service arranged the pickup via radio with park headquarters. As it was, the tow was covered by Lynn's insurance and they got there a lot quicker that you would have as we were on 12 miles outside of Tellico Plains.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #22 of 30 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 4:15 pm

And Bob, Isn't this picture up in all the rest with Lynn's? But this should make you feel better since it's posted here bigger.

I'm just sorry I didn't take a picture of the license plate job we did.

Hopefully it won't take too much to get you running again.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #23 of 30 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 9:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLT

IT appears by Cowboy Bob own admission that Lynn is the third guy to rear end his bike with Cowboy Bob at the helm. Sounds like a new ride next year, follow Cowboy Bob tech session.........
Don, you misunderstood me. Lynn is the third bike rider to crash while following me. The other two were considerate enough to simply ride off the road (none were seriously hurt, but their bikes were messed up) ..... Lynn was the only one who ran into me. And in all 3 cases, I was riding slower than normal.

What can I say? I'd recommend against following me in the future, but since bad things always come in 3's, I may be safe now ...

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
post #24 of 30 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 6:52 am

Don't forget to rehab!

Lynn, I'm glad to hear that you're recovering well.

Given our relative ages even a not-to-bad get off will keep us sore for a while. I dislocated my shoulder once from such an event. The pain went away after a couple of months but a year later when I started lifting weights I realized that my shoulder was still very weak. So as soon as you're able, do some light weight lifting to complete your rehab.
post #25 of 30 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 8:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
Lynn, I'm glad to hear that you're recovering well.

Given our relative ages even a not-to-bad get off will keep us sore for a while. I dislocated my shoulder once from such an event. The pain went away after a couple of months but a year later when I started lifting weights I realized that my shoulder was still very weak. So as soon as you're able, do some light weight lifting to complete your rehab.
Me, weight lifting? Unfortunately one of my many allergies is exercise. That's why I'm so out of shape. Wait a minute, round is a shape isn't it?

Actually, I was very lucky. I had on all my gear and I slid rather than tumbled. So, other than a bad bruise on my left hand and a sore right shoulder I made out pretty well. I'd be back riding my LT if it weren't for the swelling and soreness in the clutch hand.

Still waiting for the insurance co. Unfortunately it's not looking good. The ABS hydro pump is on the list at $1900 and that may put it over the hump. I hope to hear from the adjuster on Monday and hope we can do some negotiation.

More to follow.

OH yea, at the next gathering lets all have a group hug for Cowboy Bob! :~)

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #26 of 30 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 11:47 am

Quote:
Don, you misunderstood me. Lynn is the third bike rider to crash while following me. The other two were considerate enough to simply ride off the road (none were seriously hurt, but their bikes were messed up) ..... Lynn was the only one who ran into me. And in all 3 cases, I was riding slower than normal.

What can I say? I'd recommend against following me in the future, but since bad things always come in 3's, I may be safe now ...

- Bob
Sorry Bob, I did misunderstand... Just glad both of you where OK and still able to enjoy dinner that night..

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #27 of 30 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 2:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink Lynn , it is Good to

here your doin' OK . It's just that Bob don't like that run down fealing (;-)...patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #28 of 30 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:28 am Thread Starter

The Bike Has Been Totaled!

We're up in PA visiting relatives and I finally got a message from Progressive that my lovely GS is being totaled. What actually put the cost over the hump was the ABS Hydro pump at a healthy $1900 just for parts. I have to meet with the Progressive Agent when I get home next week but if the numbers that I was given over the phone hold out they are pretty fair. They're giving me full retail, less my $500 deductable and including the sales tax and my $1000 accessory allowance. The $1000 doesn't cover all my loss but that was my choice when I bought the insurance. While these deals always cost money, overall I'm pretty happy with what Progressive is doing.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #29 of 30 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:07 pm

Quote:
We're up in PA visiting relatives and I finally got a message from Progressive that my lovely GS is being totaled. What actually put the cost over the hump was the ABS Hydro pump at a healthy $1900 just for parts. I have to meet with the Progressive Agent when I get home next week but if the numbers that I was given over the phone hold out they are pretty fair. They're giving me full retail, less my $500 deductable and including the sales tax and my $1000 accessory allowance. The $1000 doesn't cover all my loss but that was my choice when I bought the insurance. While these deals always cost money, overall I'm pretty happy with what Progressive is doing.
Glad to hear all worked out good for you, many companies are still confused when it comes to claims for addition items, 1000 seems to be average pay out

Progressive is known to settle property damge claims quickly and correctly $$ wise, it's when you have BI liabillity claims with them that are more than just a hospital visit you have to worry about, three different PI motorcycle laywers have mentioned this to me. I'm finally gettign around to getting more info oin GA motorcycle ins laws,

funny even our State Farm underwriter did not know the laws for motorcycle ins here in Ga.

I finally got that straightened out today

oh for those who are interested in ga UM law, yes it is stackable just like with your auto policy

for more www.bikershut.net/mc_ins.htm

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #30 of 30 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 1:55 pm

I'm happy you're satisfied with the settlement, Lynn.

I'm ecstatic you or Bob didn't get hurt any worse!

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in