Caution: Deal's Gap Smoky MT Fall Reunion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2007, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Caution: Deal's Gap Smoky MT Fall Reunion

In the past few weeks, mostly on the Tennessee side of the Dragon (Deal's Gap) there has been large presence of law enforcement.

Here is link to the Tail of the Dragon website, where you can draw your on conclusion in the matter.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

It appears to be more than speed...crossing the yellow line and the WHITE line?
It also appears to be not just motorcycles either.
Use of video cameras.

Check out the trucks as well.

Come join us for the Smoky Mountain Fall Reunion.

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2007, 11:38 am

I've read on a few sites how this crackdown has scattered the bikes to, equally as, good roads in the area.

Instead of containing the insanity to 11 miles, the insanity has shotgunned. I'm just having a hard time wrapping around this logic.

What would be nice is if we could buy it and make it a closed course. I just love riding 1500 miles to some spectacular riding to have someone with an unknown agenda in a minivan decide to take me out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2007, 1:10 pm

It's the "crotch rocket" crowd

The crackdown is annoying, but has in part been brought about by the people who think it is a race track and not a public road.

While they are certainly not the only law breaking desperados; wheelies, standees, improper lane usage, (ie:don't know what the yellow line represents), and many wrecks. Wrecks including a rash of pretty new 1098's, left the THP without a real choice. Apparently you can only look the other way for so long....

I also would like to take this opportunity, as I'm on my soapbox, to blame the IDIOTS on SuperBikes on "SPEED". The network is usually way cool, but the crap that show airs, (and Pinks and Egomaniac puts crap on your car show),such as: riding down the hill approaching the restaurant on the NC end of the dragon, doing a standee....how can LEOs ignore that forever. It's like hey, we're breaking in this building over here officer, and we will be here at the same tomorrow in case you don't get us today.

That being said, there are plenty of other such rides around here, though the cool thing about the dragon is the lack of driveways and residences.

Chris

Hiddenite NC

'99 LTi Champagne

GTHC

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2007, 2:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridcage
The crackdown is annoying, but has in part been brought about by the people who think it is a race track and not a public road.
You obviously weren't around when we had CCR at Gatlinburg.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 6th, 2007, 5:52 am

This is starting to cool down.

Last weekend there were only two TNHP on the Gap.

My .02 is;
Deal's Gap was better and safer before the cruiser crowd dominated it with their masses.
Deal's Gap is a road that is not meant for inexperienced riders.
The speed limit is 30mph, which is a fun speed to try and hold the entire way.
However, you get the novice riders out there doing 15mph and holding up cars and motorcycles, alike.
Now this adds the road rage to the mix. There are now cars and bikes trying to get around the slower traffic.
They take any risk to pass.
This creates accidents.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 6th, 2007, 8:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridcage
And this is simply where I can do nothing but applaud my very own riding style. I am not so narrow-focused. I ride EVERY road as if it were a race track!!!
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 6th, 2007, 7:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
And this is simply where I can do nothing but applaud my very own riding style. I am not so narrow-focused. I ride EVERY road as if it were a race track!!!
... unless you think that the bike catching up to you is a cop. THAT slows you down - for a while. I know!

Will miss you @ Iron Horse.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in