A modest challenge - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 8:56 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up A modest challenge

Hello all! I'm leaving around noon on Saturday to ride up to Hopewell, NJ for a 'Polar Bear' RTE on Sunday. Its about 480 or so miles one way from Burlington, NC to Hopewell, NJ. I'm doing this just for preparation of our soon to be (Dec. 3) Eldridge, Al. Children's Home Charity Ride.

I'd like to challenge each BMWLT.com Southeastern member to contribute one dollar per mile ridden by me in this Polar Bear Ride to the Eldridge Children's Home. In moscicle' speak if I ride 480 miles we southeastener's need to collectively raise/contribute $480. To ease the pain somewhat I'll 'open' the challenge with the first $100. Any monies contributed/donated should be given to my Daddy, er Mr. Don Norwood 'cause its all his fault!

What say ye all? Better yet, plan on participating in the Charity Ride on Dec. 3, 2005 and see first hand what it's all about!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 2:17 pm

put me down

Bruce, put me on your list. wish I could go to NJ with you.......fletcher
post #3 of 30 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisjr
Hello all! I'm leaving around noon on Saturday to ride up to Hopewell, NJ for a 'Polar Bear' RTE on Sunday. Its about 480 or so miles one way from Burlington, NC to Hopewell, NJ. I'm doing this just for preparation of our soon to be (Dec. 3) Eldridge, Al. Children's Home Charity Ride.

I'd like to challenge each BMWLT.com Southeastern member to contribute one dollar per mile ridden by me in this Polar Bear Ride to the Eldridge Children's Home. In moscicle' speak if I ride 480 miles we southeastener's need to collectively raise/contribute $480. To ease the pain somewhat I'll 'open' the challenge with the first $100. Any monies contributed/donated should be given to my Daddy, er Mr. Don Norwood 'cause its all his fault!

What say ye all? Better yet, plan on participating in the Charity Ride on Dec. 3, 2005 and see first hand what it's all about!
Bruce, what a great idea.. and Thanks so much, you can put me down on the list... For those wishing to mail me their pledge, even after you finish the RTE, can do so at :

Don G Norwood P.O. Box 611 Sulligent, AL 35586-0611,

please make all checks payable to: Eldridge Children's Home, they have a 501c so your donation may be tax deductable...

As Bruce will attest, the being there with the children, see where your money is going is the greatest joy of this whole benefit. The ride is fun, the food is great and the hundreds of bikers...but the children and the visit to their small rural campus makes it all worthwhile and more... Thanks folks...

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"

post #4 of 30 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 4:23 am

Thumbs up I'm In

Bruce, I'm in, great idea. What time is lunch up at Mignellas' on Sunday?

Jack Howdeshell
post #5 of 30 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:37 am

I'm in too, brother.

One other thing...I'm in upstate NY right now for Thanksgiving, and although I don't know much I do know one thing...you'd better drag out your long johns for your leetle ride up Nawth...brrrr.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #6 of 30 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:32 am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowdy
Bruce, I'm in, great idea. What time is lunch up at Mignellas' on Sunday?

Jack Howdeshell

Jack,

From 11:30-1:30PM on Sunday. I plan to be there for the two hours and then turn for home. Can you make it to Mignellas'?

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Anniversary Edition
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2
post #7 of 30 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:35 am

Wink

Dang it Al, seems like you better have Garmin check out your GPS for giving you bad directions! Eat lot's of turkey and drink plenty of antifreeze and you'll be okay. Hope you can join us on the 3rd in Eldridge, Al. just don't show up in Volunteer orange...

Yo friend,

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2
post #8 of 30 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:41 am

Check's in th' mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLT
Bruce, what a great idea.. and Thanks so much, you can put me down on the list... For those wishing to mail me their pledge, even after you finish the RTE, can do so at :

Don G Norwood P.O. Box 611 Sulligent, AL 35586-0611,

please make all checks payable to: Eldridge Children's Home, they have a 501c so your donation may be tax deductable...

As Bruce will attest, the being there with the children, see where your money is going is the greatest joy of this whole benefit. The ride is fun, the food is great and the hundreds of bikers...but the children and the visit to their small rural campus makes it all worthwhile and more... Thanks folks...

Okay, really now, the check is in th' mail. Its guaranteed not to rip, bust, tear, corrode or otherwise explode on this 23rd day of our Lord in th' year 2005. That's all folks. I got's to git to work!

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2
post #9 of 30 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 9:53 am

PM Sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceHarrisJr
Jack,

From 11:30-1:30PM on Sunday. I plan to be there for the two hours and then turn for home. Can you make it to Mignellas'?

I shot you a PM.

Jack Howdeshell
post #10 of 30 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:19 am Thread Starter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Hey Don, can you shoot me a way point for the place.

I may just shoot up from Tampa for the day.

May even get the distance record
I would be honored to have my long distance record superseeded by Florida's finest Dragon...
post #11 of 30 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Hey Don, can you shoot me a way point for the place.

I may just shoot up from Tampa for the day.

May even get the distance record
Dave, check our web site www.eldridgetoyrun.com
click Directions, I got a local garmin map there with GPS waypoints...

Hope you can make it, if you guys want to meet Friday night in Jasper, AL, I pick up dinner at local steak house... then we can join a local ride in from the East or "just ride in"

Web page as a motel listed there for Jasper, we should have a "Children's benefit rate"...

Ride Safe

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #12 of 30 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
One other thing...I'm in upstate NY right now for Thanksgiving, and although I don't know much I do know one thing...you'd better drag out your long johns for your leetle ride up Nawth...brrrr.
Hey Al, thanks...do hope you can make it, get your Vols brother Britt to come along and John Z , if you guys want to come down Friday night and meet in Jasper, Al. we got a motel listed on the web site www.eldridgetoyrun.com

I'll do dinner Friday night at local steak house, visit and then ride in on Saturday, we got a ride from the East side, Sumiton or Jasper or we can Just Ride IN...

Thanks, ride safe...

My challenge guys, come on down, up or over Friday night, meet in Jasper, Al, have dinner at local steak house, my treat , visit, ride in to Benefit on Saturday...

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #13 of 30 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 9:35 pm

Did someone say free steak dinner?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 30 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 11:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLT
Hey Al, thanks...do hope you can make it, get your Vols brother Britt to come along and John Z , if you guys want to come down Friday night and meet in Jasper, Al. we got a motel listed on the web site www.eldridgetoyrun.com

I'll do dinner Friday night at local steak house, visit and then ride in on Saturday, we got a ride from the East side, Sumiton or Jasper or we can Just Ride IN...

Thanks, ride safe...

My challenge guys, come on down, up or over Friday night, meet in Jasper, Al, have dinner at local steak house, my treat , visit, ride in to Benefit on Saturday...

Hey Don, I'll be staying Friday night at the Best Western in Amory, Ms. I was able to get a 'free' room there and couldn't resist the 'price'. Will a crowd still be gathering at the Amory Walmart on Saturday morning like last year? I'll still try and join yous'ins in Jasper; just let me know where and what time, okay?

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2
post #15 of 30 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 11:14 am

Smile

Well this prety much clears up any question about my plans for next Friday night and where I'll be! Supper with Don on Friday and lunch with the children on Saturday, perfect. If I stuff myself today at Mom and Dad's, I just may make it till next Friday.

Jack Howdeshell
post #16 of 30 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 11:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Did someone say free steak dinner?
Yep, like in beef steak, not the "Alabama Round Steak" ... Steak on Friday, Soup and sandwich on Saturday at the home...

Come join the fun, spread the word...

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #17 of 30 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceHarrisJr
Hey Don, I'll be staying Friday night at the Best Western in Amory, Ms. I was able to get a 'free' room there and couldn't resist the 'price'. Will a crowd still be gathering at the Amory Walmart on Saturday morning like last year? I'll still try and join yous'ins in Jasper; just let me know where and what time, okay?
Just like last year, the ride from the West will start in Amory Wal Mart parking lot...

From Jasper to Amory is about 60 miles, therefore if Amory works better than Jasper for everyone, then we can meet, eat and visit in Amory instead of Jasper... let's get some feed back from Jack, AL, Britt, Dave, John, and others that have mentioned about joining us... Fletcher will meet us wherever, maybe Joe Hammond and Ranger Cook as well..

Amory or Jasper ... either is ok with me,

Have plenty of floor/ bed space at my house in Sullligent (25 miles from Amory, 45 miles from Jasper) One of the rides comes thru Sulligent as well..

We got a steak house too!

The best option: meet in Sulligent, stay at my house, got plenty of space, air mattress, beds, do dinner at local steak house, visit, Bruce will have 20 miles to travel to Best Western, or can you use the room later or exchange for another stay at BW...

Sat AM, we can ride to Amory for the organized ride or wait til it comes thru Sulligent or head on the home and "just ride in"

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #18 of 30 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 11:39 am

Quote:
Well this prety much clears up any question about my plans for next Friday night and where I'll be! Supper with Don on Friday and lunch with the children on Saturday, perfect. If I stuff myself today at Mom and Dad's, I just may make it till next Friday.

Jack Howdeshell
Jack, you got it.... have a great ride, see my reply to Bruce...

Jeanette and kids will be in Chattanooga, so got the whole house here, in process of moving everthing out or to Chattanooga, so I still got plenty of floor space, beds, air mattresses, coffee pot and frig.. everybody plan on staying here, we do dinner at local steak house, (I got a van to transport whole group), visit, do the ride and benefit on Saturday...

Sulligent is in NW, intersection of Hwy 278 and AL state Hwy 17. my house is three miles from there, I will post a GPS point or get some directions this week...

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #19 of 30 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Looks like I'm not going to make it after all, Sue had already committed us to another event that weekend.

Sorry folks.

Maybe next year, always the first saturday in December... take care
Haven't heard from James, maybe he'll join us...

Happy Holidays...

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #20 of 30 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 2:07 pm

Looks like I'm in the same set of shoes. We're on a tentative schedule that my dad will be released from the hospital on Friday, so that will more than likely have me spending the weekend with him getting reaclimated to living at home.

You guys have fun. We'll try again next year.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #21 of 30 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 4:19 pm

Don,
Anywhere is fine by me. I'll call you later in the week to find out what has been decided.

Jack
post #22 of 30 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 8:50 am

Things aren't looking good here as well. Had plans for this Friday (Dec. 2) in the works for several weeks and just found out that all is a go. As far as Saturday (Dec 3) plans have been also been confirmed.
I told Al at the football game (one of the few that we have won this year) that I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make it to Alabama for the ride. We were going to hook up somewhere and ride in.
I hate to miss a free steak dinner, free lodging at Don's house, "boys night out" and lunch with the fine folks at Eldridge.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #23 of 30 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 9:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Things aren't looking good here as well. Had plans for this Friday (Dec. 2) in the works for several weeks and just found out that all is a go. As far as Saturday (Dec 3) plans have been also been confirmed.
I told Al at the football game (one of the few that we have won this year) that I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make it to Alabama for the ride. We were going to hook up somewhere and ride in.
I hate to miss a free steak dinner, free lodging at Don's house, "boys night out" and lunch with the fine folks at Eldridge.
Come on down, we turn the farm into Motocycle Camp for a weekend,
Got plenty of space, will get up a couple extra air mattresses,

Everybody welcome to stay and enjoy the weekend, just drop me a line or reply and I get things ready...

As soon as you and Al get together, maybe give me ETA to Sulligent on Friday....

cell 205 412 2395

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #24 of 30 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 7:49 am

All right, returned from the hinterland and back in the loop ya'll. Don, the Friday night gig sounds like a winner, and if you've got extra floor space I'm in. I'll PM you for coordinating details. Looks as if Mel has a test going into the tunnel this week anyway and will be working odd hours through the weekend, so that pretty much guarantees me a carte blanche kitchen pass.

Brett, am I to understand you are out of luck altogether for this weekend? Maybe next time, brother. If that's the case and depending upon what schedule John Z is on, I'll probably just shoot a straight shot for Sulligent sometime Friday afternoon.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #25 of 30 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
All right, returned from the hinterland and back in the loop ya'll. Don, the Friday night gig sounds like a winner, and if you've got extra floor space I'm in. I'll PM you for coordinating details. Looks as if Mel has a test going into the tunnel this week anyway and will be working odd hours through the weekend, so that pretty much guarantees me a carte blanche kitchen pass.

Brett, am I to understand you are out of luck altogether for this weekend? Maybe next time, brother. If that's the case and depending upon what schedule John Z is on, I'll probably just shoot a straight shot for Sulligent sometime Friday afternoon.
Hey Al, got plenty of space, get with John Z and come on down, haven't heard from Doug, check with him as well.

Thus far, looks like Bruce, Jack, Al, John Z, Fletcher maybe Joe H., maybe Ranger Cook, and myself.

Anybody else wanting to head our way, come on down!

Sulligent is located in NW AL .Hwy 278 and State Hwy 17 intersec here.

We'll try for dinner around 7PM, depends on everybody and times arriving. Bruce and Jack are on the road today, should here from them Monday or Tuesday...

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #26 of 30 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 12:06 pm

Doug is working on a little project right now, and if I had to guess he'll be tied up with that. But I'll check with him and see.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #27 of 30 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 7:21 pm

Left Bruce at Hwy 15 and I-66 as he continued towards home. I headed over towards Front Royal to bed down for the night. Bruce mapped us out a route that avoided most of the holiday weekend traffic out of the Northeast. The weather was great until about dark tonight when the rain set in. Continuing south tomorrow enroute to Eldridge. The RTE in Jersey had a huge turn-out. Don we need something like this in the South...hint, hint. A lot of LTs turned out. I think I got the long distance honor for this one...1309 mile one way. The cheeseburger was worth it.

Jack
post #28 of 30 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:34 pm

Quote:
Left Bruce at Hwy 15 and I-66 as he continued towards home. I headed over towards Front Royal to bed down for the night. Bruce mapped us out a route that avoided most of the holiday weekend traffic out of the Northeast. The weather was great until about dark tonight when the rain set in. Continuing south tomorrow enroute to Eldridge. The RTE in Jersey had a huge turn-out. Don we need something like this in the South...hint, hint. A lot of LTs turned out. I think I got the long distance honor for this one...1309 mile one way. The cheeseburger was worth it.

Jack
This is it... RTE in Eldridge... Glad your headed this way, with 1309 already I think you got the milage award for Eldridge as well...but you never know...Bruce may head this way via Omaha too! This year we will reconize all over a 100 miles traveled plus the long distance award...

N33 52.153 W88 05.634 is GPS to my house,

Ride safe, we'll talk via cell this week... hey if you come near Chattanooga, need a place to stay, we got you covered...give me a call...

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #29 of 30 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 5:48 am

Al, you are correct. Can't make it. ALL weekend we will be busy. Too danged busy i'm afraid.

You all be carefull and eat a steak for me!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #30 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisjr

Thank you Bruce…

Your challenge was met and then some…

Also my thanks and appreciation to Jack Howdeshell (jhowdy), Fetcher Clark, Al Hennigan (Ranger6) and Bruce Harris Jr (the order in which they arrived ) for riding in for this benefit. Friday night we all, along with Tony Davis, a couple of benefit team members and myself had dinner. Saturday morning we had breakfast together in Amory Ms and joined the ride to Eldridge Children’s Home. More on the benefit in another thread….

Tony had attended CCR in Breckenridge and also came over to “Return to Ironhorse” in October, also at the benefit Dave Dragon friend, James, who we had met in October at “Return to Ironhorse” was at the benefit as well, so we had some great LT connections…

The weather hurt our “over all” attendance this year, but didn’t dampen the spirit of the benefit…

Of course all where “long distance riders for the day” their names and hometowns will appear on our LD riders plaque as well as the long distance award winner for the event… see my other thread…

I am so proud to call you guys my friends… Thanks again…

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in