N.E. GA. speed (lumpkin county in particular) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 8:03 pm Thread Starter

N.E. GA. speed (lumpkin county in particular)

Watch your speed up here in lumpkin County Ga. my Wife was just pulled over for 58 in a 55 on Long branch extension on her GS
(which cars get away doing 70 all the time, I still have not seen a car pulled over on this stretch)

the LEO officer told here they just wanted her to know they are making a point here about speeding and safety (clearly they knew she lives here in lumpkin County as well, the sticker like you put on a tag is on the rear of her bike in plain site.

In four years of living here we have never been pulled over for such a low speed, they are road blocking up here and have written tickets to two at least now for 10 over in some very odd places (like Wolfpen gap and up hwy 60) never before have we been pulled over on a GS or our KLR we were almost invisible (no more)

we can thank our news media for all the attention and we can thank all the idiots riding like fools for that

just thought I should let y'all know how bad it is getting here now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 12:19 am

You can come up to Murphy and ride... The law is still decent here.
As long as your not completely loosing control of your machine.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 8:14 am

Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
You can come up to Murphy and ride... The law is still decent here.
As long as your not completely loosing control of your machine.
You want me to speed in North Carolina with a Georgia plate! NO WAY!

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 8:59 am

Tom,

What in the devil is going on down there? Sounds like it may be time to elect a new Sheriff maybe? Easy for me to say.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 9:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
Tom,

What in the devil is going on down there? Sounds like it may be time to elect a new Sheriff maybe? Easy for me to say.

well to give them some credit anyhow, last year it was pretty bad with the loud pipes and fast ricky racers.

really it was very bad here, then they had the media frenzy that aired, well we only thought it was bad before the media frenzy , seems the sport bike crowd all now knew where to come find ricky racer roads without have to go to deals gap. So thye had to do something i guess, but it is getting pretty bad here now.

This is only a rumor I heard but the fellow that told me pretty much should know. There were three riding together up 129 they were pulled over, arrested and bikes impounded for Racing. they were just riding togehter. they said they were running around 60 or maybe a little more which was speeding. I do not know the outcome of that.

whne they road block and only check the mc riders out then there is a issue IMHO (btw they are only checking for MC endorsements from what I was told, not even to see if there is insurance
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 6:40 pm

Truthfully, I don't mind them writing tickets for not having an MC stamp.

I feel if more riders actually would take the time to study, take the MSF coarse and/or pass the D/L exam,
There would probably be more riders alive today.

Besides, they are breaking the law.

We took the time to get licensed. So should Ricky Racer and Studly no helmet Bubba.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
Truthfully, I don't mind them writing tickets for not having an MC stamp.

We took the time to get licensed. So should Ricky Racer and Studly no helmet Bubba.

I agree, the point is they are not doing any good if that is all they are doing, how many really do not have a MC stamp.

singling out motorcycles over automobiles is not thier job either

enforce the law but do it fairly and honestly

I don;t even have a problem with ticketing for speeding to tell you the truth, then again I think 35 mph up US 60 through Suches is rediculously slow, I tried to ride 35 all the way to suches and back, It can't be done! <grin>

really
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:14 pm

Watch out if you're riding in Alpharetta, GA too. The city has annexed new areas and most of the time the speed on annexed roads has been lowered by 10mph or more. I just get a revenue enhancement request for doing 51 on what used to be a 45mph road. The annual report for our great city states that over 16,000 citations were written in 2006.

PS - Many thanks to officer "Big Dawg" for twice selecting my bike for revenue enhancement. (he actually has that written on fairing of his RP)
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 3:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
. my Wife was just pulled over for 58 in a 55 on Long branch extension on her GS
Unless things have changed, the local's (city and county) radar is not certified for less than a 10mph infraction.

Georgia State Patrol is certified for 5mph.

In other words, she would have to have exceeded the limit by going 66mph in a 55mph zone for a local citation.
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 9:23 pm

I don't know where you are traveling but when I see the law looking for speeders, They are using laser.
I ride in WNC, East TN and North GA...
It is rare that I see a patrolman using a radar gun other than it being bolted to the dash of the car.
Usually they have their head stuck to the scope of the laser and they are not forgiving from what I have heard people say.

It is only about the money anyways.
If their bosses didn't care about increasing ticket sales 7% over last years income, do you think a cop would spend his time writing tickets and dealing with the decent citizens?
Cops want to fight real crime.

I was in N. GA today. We rode all over from Wolf Pen to Helen.
We only saw the law in Helen.
And as busy as Helen was they need more cops, directing some traffic.

Visit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in