Smoky Mountain Fall Reunion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Smoky Mountain Fall Reunion

Smoky Mountain Fall Reunion

October 18, 19, 20th 2007. Thursday, Friday, Saturday
3rd Weekend in October.

Contact www.Ironhorsenc.com to make your reservations

If you are not familiar with the Smoky Mountain and local area, this is said to be the best weekend to view the fall folage on average.
Therefore area motels fill fast and in advance of these dates. We have a room/cabin block at Ironhorse Lodge, they will have three new full cabins that can house up to 15 additional folks, so get together with your riding friends and maybe book one of the new cabin as well, all private as well.. located on the Thunder Mountain addition of Ironhorse.

Plan now to attend and take a moment to vote in the poll by in this thread by clicking HERE

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:25 pm

Wink

Don:

Do you know that this is the same weekend as BIketoberFest? Reason I say that is that I have yet to attend that event, also have yet to make it to an event at IronHorse.

tcars
John

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarver
Don:

Do you know that this is the same weekend as BIketoberFest? Reason I say that is that I have yet to attend that event, also have yet to make it to an event at IronHorse.

tcars
John
John, I didn't know that, but I have a easy solution for you.....come to Ironhorse for the Smoky Mountain Fall Reunion.

Hope to see you there!

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Saturday ride planning Paved and GS Lunch same location

Saturday idea or suggestion, maps later

Cherohala Skyway area.

Paved Route
Leave Ironhorse Saturday morning, the paved route with be Upper Tuskegee Road/Yellow Branch over to Joyce Kilmer Forest for a stop, then over to Telico Plains with lunch at Tellico Cafe at noon. After lunch you can head back via Bald River Falls or the loop to Deals Gap OR head down 68 to "Fields in the Woods" then on to Andrews, maybe Junlaska Road to Wayah Road and then back to Ironhorse.

GS Route
Leave Ironhorse Saturday morning, via Upper Tuskegee Road/Yellow Branch over to Joyce Kilmer Forest ..no stop here you must continue on to the skyway where you will pick up 81, gravel back to the Skyway or on to Bald River Falls and then to Tellico Plains for lunch at Tellico Cafe. Dave Dragon knows the route. After lunch expore the Bald River area off road or head on to Ranger with the paved group for "Field in the Wood", on to Hiwasee Dam and Lake.

GS and Paved Loop
Another loop to try is the Forest Service Road 711 road, this is paved but broken in places...no big deal just take is easy on the LTs, no traffic, great views.. about 20 miles long. Located off the Wayah road.

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #5 of 10 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 9:15 am

I thought BMW riders enjoyed riding many, many, many miles in a day.

Iron Horse to Tellico is only about 200 miles.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 4:24 pm

Well, Spring Training seems to coincide with the Cape Fear Rally, but I got this weekend open. Already called Ironhorse and made reservations, so I ought to be able to make this one.

Jim Bain, Rallymaster
Cape Fear 1000 Rally
IBA # 350

post #7 of 10 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 6:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebain2002
Well, Spring Training seems to coincide with the Cape Fear Rally, but I got this weekend open. Already called Ironhorse and made reservations, so I ought to be able to make this one.
Jim, will good to see you again, Best of luck in the Ironbutt Rally, now that would be a great presentation and have your support team there as well. Bruce can bring the ice cream and Jeff could bring Hunter, our orginal fire pit master.

Here's pulling for you in the rally and see you in October.

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

Last edited by BamaLT; Jul 11th, 2007 at 6:51 pm.
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
I thought BMW riders enjoyed riding many, many, many miles in a day.

Iron Horse to Tellico is only about 200 miles.
In past years, we have had riders from as many as 18 states and Canada, yes they ride in....and with the meals that are planned for us back at the house (Ironhorse) we don't want to be late for supper (dinner). We don't miss many meals. So we don't venture out very far.

During the event the pace is somewhat slower and lot of flower sniffn going on, but when the Reunion is over...most these guys zoom many many hundreds miles to get back home, except me...just about 120 miles back to Chattanooga.

One year many left in the snow and rode most of the day with snow, especially the guys from the Northeast.

Don G Norwood
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

post #9 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 3:29 pm

Well, I will be seeing Jeff in the morning and will check on the availability of the "Pit Master." As for Bruce, he may be riding the Wing, but he ain't forgot nothing about working on an LT.

Thanks for the good thoughts for the IBR. It is certainly something that is above and beyond the norm. If anyone wants to know what multi-day LD rallying is like, check out this post by one of the riders from the Beast In The East:

http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_...?TID=1446&PN=1

Jim Bain, Rallymaster
Cape Fear 1000 Rally
IBA # 350

post #10 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 9:13 pm

Smile

Nice going Kevin and thanks for sharing with us! As to you, counselor, do like Kevin suggested; keep on digging, keep on trying, and never ever give up. Us grandstanders will be cheering for you in the upcoming IBR later next month!

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Anniversary Edition
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in