Goodby Southeast - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Goodby Southeast

Well the bikes are loaded and we are heading west to cooler temp this weekend. Chama was 36 deg. this morning and 76 deg for the high. Now that's motorcycling temperatures. I won't mention the humidity in that area to keep some of you from hanging yourselves tonight. Anyone heading west give me a shout. I'll probably be there until next summer.

Come see me,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 5:50 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Have a great time out west Rick. If you are still out there when I do my Cali trip in the spring time, I'll look you up.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 4th, 2007, 4:25 am

Rick, ya'll come back to see us, that a good trip...

Third weekend in October in WNC at Ironhorse should be really nice weather as well.

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 4th, 2007, 7:49 am

Enjoy your time out there, Rick.

Your pictures caught my eye. What are we looking at there? Looks like a serious RV or OTR truck, with your own onboard crane? Is it used specifically for lifting the bikes onto what looks like a custom two-up bike rack? Tell us more...

I see from your profile that you are a fulltime RVer. That's gotta be a great lifestyle. Good for you.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:59 am

You are right Howard ....how COOL is that setup. Talk about never seeing an LT on the road "I sure ain't scene anyting like dat" That going somewhere!

Mike
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 4th, 2007, 11:04 am Thread Starter

The Possibilities with a Crane

Howard,

The truck is a medium duty (Class 6) International. With everything loaded we have a GCVW of 39,000#. We pull a 36' Teton 5th that is almost 20,000# with all the solar, inverters, batteries, and things you have to have if you don't have a sticks and bricks house. So the truck is a mere 19,000# loaded.

The truck has a removable roof fairing/storage that houses our Bushtec trailer, BOB bicycle trailer, and a few extra tanks for boondocking/dry camping. Goes from 12'6'' high to under 8' high with the removal of a couple of pins and 2 minutes with the crane.

The scooter on top is a Burgman 400 and can be on the ground and driven away in under 4 minutes with Vicki operating the crane. The LT is on the bottom and takes about an additional 10 minutes to unload/uncrate/install windshield and drive away. Both bikes come off with out removing the fairing

The big semi circular (to get max storage and still swing under the trailer) wooden/fiberglass box on the back behind the fifth wheel hitch houses a 6.5KW generator, propane tanks, welder, tablesaw, and other wood/metal working equipment. It has legs that drop out, remove a couple of pins, and then dump the truck suspension and leave behind at the campsite. This all gets the truck down to the size of a pickup for driving around.

I'm going to post some pictures of the process of loading the truck soon. I'm still under construction but the major pieces are together, just finish work and paint. I use a lot of wood and foam covered with fiberglass along with steel support structures. Takes lots of time to finish.
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 4th, 2007, 5:47 pm

Rick, apologies for continuing to derail your original post, but man -- that is impressive. What was your inspiration for this setup -- did someone else have a similar rig, or are you one of those guys who can build a 747 out of spare parts in your back yard?

I'm also curious if you looked at any of the higher-end toy haulers. There are some impressive 5th wheel and Class A motorhome units with garages.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:26 pm Thread Starter

Higher End

Howard,

When you move out of of a half mill house they don't make a tow hauler you can live in full time. In fact most of the RV forums have never come up with a fulltime tow hauler. Most RV units specify in the fine print "for occasional or weekend use only". We thought about a nice diesel pusher with a trailer for all the stuff, but you still have 70' (illegal in some states) of stuff and sometimes no place to park the extra trailer. MH vs fifth wheel is a long debate but I like the extra space in a fifth and the taller ceilings through most of the unit. With all the stuff I'm at 56' and legal in all 50 states.

As far as the ideas, I'm one of those people who just sits back and thinks about the best way to do the job. I look at as many ideas as I can but with the mindset that they are not always the best way to do the job. Most of the time the first idea turns out to be a bad idea. I've wasted a few dollars on some designs, but that is the good thing about building it myself, a few dollars. My biggest problem is trying to incorporate something I've already built into the new design. This is my third design on this truck in 4 years. It's a weird way to entertain myself but then I retired at 50 and have to do something.
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 7:12 am

Very kewl set up, Rick. I'd like to see more when you get a chance.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in