Dealer Referrals Needed - North Carolina - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 12:26 am Thread Starter

Dealer Referrals Needed - North Carolina

I'm going to be in North Carolina here in two weeks when my 18K service interval comes due. I'd like to get some positive reviews on dealerships in the area where I might be able to get squeezed in for service on a Saturday (I'll book the service this Tuesday as soon as the shops open), or I'll just ride it back to Dallas and have the service done here at the end of the trip if needed.

The BMW US web site is referring 7 dealers to me for our wrap up in Statesville NC ... two of the shops don't specifically sounds like BMW shops (but they must be or else the BMW website wouldn't refer them). The closest that gives me a warm fuzzy is BMW/Ducati of Charlotte, followed by Greensboro NC, Greensville SC, and Raleigh NC.

Any experiences you guys can share on these four dealers, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 7:15 am

Hey Charlie,
You named the ones that are real dealers. I use Capitol BMW and they are good. They make a point of scheduling you in advance and getting the work done that day. Jon is the service manager and will bend over backwards to help you out. But they don't do drop ins, need to schedule in advance. I haven't used the Greensboro dealer, but they receive good marks from local riders (there was a thread on them just last week). Haven't used the Charlotte or Greenville dealer or know anyone personally who has.

Unfortunately, in 2 weeks, we'll be out of town, or I'd buy you lunch if you stopped by in the area. Or at least I can claim I would since I won't be here to be put to the test

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 8:25 am

Dealer Referral - Charlotte

I have not had much experience with many BMW dealerships, but if I compare Charlotte's Dealership with those I have dealt with, automotive and brand X, they are one of the best to work with. the Service manager, Bob, is outstanding and very thorough. His team of mechanics, ditto. Since Statesville is so close, you can not go wrong. As mentioned above, call them to make an appointment to make sure you get the service when you want it. Traveling riders with problems also get first class treatment to get them on the road again.

Ultra LT

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 8:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Cowboy
I'm going to be in North Carolina here in two weeks when my 18K service interval comes due. I'd like to get some positive reviews on dealerships in the area where I might be able to get squeezed in for service on a Saturday (I'll book the service this Tuesday as soon as the shops open), or I'll just ride it back to Dallas and have the service done here at the end of the trip if needed.

The BMW US web site is referring 7 dealers to me for our wrap up in Statesville NC ... two of the shops don't specifically sounds like BMW shops (but they must be or else the BMW website wouldn't refer them). The closest that gives me a warm fuzzy is BMW/Ducati of Charlotte, followed by Greensboro NC, Greensville SC, and Raleigh NC.

Any experiences you guys can share on these four dealers, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated!
I really do not like going to dealers for service. Charlotte BMW/Ducati is beginning to change that. They really know the LT and understand our needs. I have never tried to do a drop in with them, always scheduled warranty work. Each time they have taken care of extra issues they found at no cost. The body work is always reinstalled correctly.

Since the 18K is mostly just an oil change, I'm sure they could have you out very quickly. Saturday's are always busy in the summer, so take that under consideration. They also have a respect for this board so mention that we recommended them to you.

Enjoy the ride.

Edit - my bad - just noticed you're on an RT. I'm sure they can handle that work as well and I don't know what an 18K involves exactly. Sorry for the confusion.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 8:45 am

Smile service

hi charlie i bought my 03 lt new at carolina BMW in greensboro. they do all of my work. i have been very happy with them. never had a problem of any sort with there work. they are real busy this time of year but call ahead. ask for richard (service manger) good man he'll work you in if at all possable. wrap up in statesville? give me a heads up and i'll buy a starbucks. later dan.
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 11:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_rider
Unfortunately, in 2 weeks, we'll be out of town, or I'd buy you lunch if you stopped by in the area. Or at least I can claim I would since I won't be here to be put to the test
Hey ... what it is Joel!

I'll be up your way the weekend of July 6th-8th. Since that's the weekend right after July 4th, I'm guessing that's when you'll be out of town. Actually, I'll be up there from about June 30th until the 8th ... I just won't know exactly where I'll be from the 2nd through early on the 6th. But if you end up being around, let me know!

And thanks for the dealer info!
post #7 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Thanks Dan and John for the info! I'll begin calling around on Tuesday to schedule service for the 7th. Knowing everyone's busy, available slots on Saturday might well play a role in which shop I can get into. I believe the 18K service is just oil and valves, so my plan is to roll up before the shop opens on Saturday so the bike can cool back down for the service.

Dan ... wrap up in Statesville ... I'm riding in the Beast In The East endurance rally from July 2-6th, starting and ending in Statesville. Once I make it back to the hotel there in Statesville, I can start to think about service ... so hopefully I won't need to be worried about it before then.
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Cowboy
Hey ... what it is Joel!

I'll be up your way the weekend of July 6th-8th. Since that's the weekend right after July 4th, I'm guessing that's when you'll be out of town. Actually, I'll be up there from about June 30th until the 8th ... I just won't know exactly where I'll be from the 2nd through early on the 6th. But if you end up being around, let me know!

And thanks for the dealer info!
I must have looked at the calendar crosseyed, we will be in town that weekend, its the following one we'll be out. So, the offer is back on. Breakfast, lunch, you name it, just let me know what your schedule is. I'm heading over to NCSTOC the 30th.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #9 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 7:52 pm

Capitol BMW in Raleigh and Carolina BMW in Greensboro are owned by the same family and both dealerships have an excellent reputation. You can use either with confidence.

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
post #10 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 10:59 pm

BMW Service in NC

Highly recommend Capitol BMW in Raleigh, NC.
Just went over 76,000 miles on my 2001 K1200LT.
Capitol's taken care of almost every service and accessory job.
Jon Ross is the Service Manager.
Extremely helpful and knowlegeable.

If you're near Charlotte, the service department at
the BMW-Ducati-Triumph dealer is also highly recommended.
David Diefenbach (Service Technician) took great care
of both my R1100RT and my K1200LT.

Shifted to Raleigh when Capitol bought out Matison.
Service department is the best and they're 1.5 hours closer.
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 8:50 am

Must second Dan BRown's recommendation of Richard at Carolina. He's been on boxers for 30 years, I think he told me. He's pretty straight up guy.

Haven't used the others, but have visited Capitol and that's where mine was originally sold and serviced.

Randy
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 12:25 pm

Carolina BMW

I can also heartily recommend Richard at Carolina BMW in Greensboro. Great folks, meticulous mechanics. You'll be pleased.

Mark Selisker
Raleigh, NC
2002 K1200 LTE
post #13 of 13 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 7:43 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Just to follow-up on my thread, I called around today and ended up getting scheduled with BMW of Charlotte. I heard nothing but good things about Charlotte, Greensboro, Greenville, and Raleigh, so felt good going with either of them.

Since I'm coming off a multi-day endurance rally, and need to get the bike cold for the valve check, I decided to start closer to Statesville, and I would spiral outward if Charlotte wasn't able to work me into the schedule. Spoke with Bob today, explained my situation, and he's got me scheduled. Only asked that I let him know if my plans changed and I wouldn't be coming. Fair enough.

I'll follow-up in a different thread with my experiences with Charlotte, but wanted to close off with where I was headed.

Thanks y'all!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in