NC tech session..anyone? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 8:59 am Thread Starter

NC tech session..anyone?

I'm coming up on my 12 K service and need to do a canisterectomy. Anyone interested in getting together and doing a bit of service on their bikes? Dates are kinda open for me. I have teaching scheduled for rest of this month.

With that said, I do my service on my sidewalk or in the back yard. You would be welcome at my place, if those conditions are suitable. Or if anyone would like to offer a place, we can work that. I am going to see if I can locate a place we could work around here, too.

I have almost enough tools to do some jobs almost correctly. I have almost enough understanding to do some things okay. Would like to get together with others and maybe have enough tools and understanding to do it properly....

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:11 am

I'd be interested in helping out.

Also, if Jack doesn't cut in offering his place with lifts etc., I have a huge amount of concrete paved driveway. Ancient garage space to do fluid changes, and another paved portico area for chassis work if the rains come.

All the tools for most common LT work, including electrical.

The driveway would easily hold 100 LT's, no kidding.

Let's see what comes together and what dates - I may be due for a 36K before too long.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #3 of 32 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:46 am Thread Starter

Hmmmmm, hopefully we will get some more interest going here. Last few times, though, my schedule hasn't worked out. Heck I haven't even been able to help slugbug get his autocom installed.

I am interested in the valves that you mentioned on the other post.

Randy

post #4 of 32 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:33 pm

If the dates work out, I'll be there. Just finished my own 36K and got the screw-ups out of the way on mine. Not much else to do to mine, except ride it to the next service interval, so if the dates work, I can help with someone elses ride. I also have quite a large stock of buckets, which might save several days of downtime while you get them ordered from the local dealer or on-line. If I can't make the date, I can always ship them over to you in case someone needs them.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #5 of 32 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Smile tech session

count me in if the dates work out. i make a good gopher.
post #6 of 32 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 12:54 pm

Count me in

I am closing in on 50K and never checked my valves (bought it at 39K). Supposedly, the 24K was done, but, I'd like to see the valve check done to give me the "Warm fuzzy".

Don't know about brake or clutch fluid flushing either.

I also need the canisterectomy, and probably some other -ectomy's.

Also need to drill the weep hole, or better yet drill it while replacing the slave/seals.

It may not seem it, but, the bike does run well.

Except for 4-July week, I'm pretty wide open.

Joe
post #7 of 32 Old Jun 17th, 2007, 8:51 am

Just performed my Canisterectomy and removed the Temp sensor pretty easy fixes with minimal tools. If the dates are good for me I would like to join to watch and learn about upcoming maintenance.
post #8 of 32 Old Jun 17th, 2007, 8:56 am

Hey Joe when and where or who did you buy your LT from. I was about to buy on from a guy in NC Last Oct. but my money was slow and he sold it before I could get to him.
post #9 of 32 Old Jun 17th, 2007, 4:52 pm

Thumbs up I'm interested

I would like to be around just to learn more about the inerds of the bike. Basically be a good gopher, not an expert wrench. I have 3 car garage we could use, no lift, many tools, many dogs.

The big test would be locating me....

Definately interested in attending. I'd need a couple of weeks notice to make sure I haven't volunteered (like an idiot) to work that weekend.

Chris

Hiddenite NC

'99 LTi Champagne

GTHC
post #10 of 32 Old Jun 18th, 2007, 11:45 am

I would be interested if it were on a weekend I was available.

WaterBoo
post #11 of 32 Old Jun 18th, 2007, 11:56 am

I probably Snagged it

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldaggs
Hey Joe when and where or who did you buy your LT from. I was about to buy on from a guy in NC Last Oct. but my money was slow and he sold it before I could get to him.
Darryl,

I bought my 05 from Tom in Siler City NC. I think it was November when I got it. Put about 8K on it since I picked it up in December.

Things just fell together and it came to be.

Hope to see you at the Tech Session.

Joe
post #12 of 32 Old Jun 18th, 2007, 2:02 pm

Talking NC tech session..anyone

"Build it and they will come". Just give us a date,time and location. I'm not much on the turning of tools but I can up with a joke or two. I'll be happy to help in anyway. MK

Michael Dale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 32 Old Jun 19th, 2007, 10:06 am Thread Starter

I agree. IF I had the place to do it, I'd set the date, but my backyard is not going to be conducive to working on bikes other than my own.

Anyone willing to put up with us, set a date, and let's see who can make it? Anyone willing?

Randy
post #14 of 32 Old Jun 19th, 2007, 2:54 pm

Well Chris, it's me or you. Give me a call and stop by the house some time soon. Compare it to your setup and see which you think will be better.

We'll let y'all know what we come up with.

July 14th is the soonest I could host a session.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #15 of 32 Old Jun 19th, 2007, 9:11 pm

Thumbs up NC tech session..anyone?

I would really like to come in as an observer if I could. I'm new to the LT and this site. I have 16K. I would like to just watch to familiarize myself to the upcoming 24K, I heard it's a bear. I will be watching for the Date posting. Thanks, Rando! I am building a shop at present that should accommodate around thirty in the AC. Will be finished in about a month here in Sanford.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R1200GSA

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC
post #16 of 32 Old Jun 19th, 2007, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer1200ltc
I would really like to come in as an observer if I could. I'm new to the LT and this site. I have 16K. I would like to just watch to familiarize myself to the upcoming 24K, I heard it's a bear. I will be watching for the Date posting. Thanks, Rando! I am building a shop at present that should accommodate around thirty in the AC. Will be finished in about a month here in Sanford.
30 bikes or 30 people! Doesn't matter, we'll wait for you and your A/C

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #17 of 32 Old Jun 19th, 2007, 9:41 pm

NC tech session..anyone?

Should be ready around the end of July, 1st of Aug.

R1200GSA

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC

Last edited by beamer1200ltc; Jun 19th, 2007 at 9:46 pm.
post #18 of 32 Old Jun 20th, 2007, 7:13 am Thread Starter

August would be great for me, I think.

Might have to stop and spend a night in Asheboro at my moms in order to get there early in the morning, depending on start time. It's like 3 hrs or so from here.

Thanks for offering.

Randy
post #19 of 32 Old Jun 20th, 2007, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
August would be great for me, I think.

Might have to stop and spend a night in Asheboro at my moms in order to get there early in the morning, depending on start time. It's like 3 hrs or so from here.

Thanks for offering.

Randy
Maybe if you ride a moped Last time I went to Mt Airy, it was only 1hour 45min. Tops.If you leave early, should be a breeze.

R1200GSA

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC
post #20 of 32 Old Jun 20th, 2007, 10:01 am Thread Starter

I was thinking the office folks that go to Pantry said it was like 3. And it is if ya got kids in the car!!!!! I can handle that. Probably 1.5 hrs as fast as I like to go sometimes......

Thanks for setting me straight. Heck the mopeds around here are "doctored" up to move a bit quicker. Grrrrrrr.

Randy
post #21 of 32 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 8:55 pm

Hey Guys...just saw the thread. Count me in if it is sometime in August! John, if you guys need any special tools let me know. I may have to cage it - REAR DRIVE IS DOWN - but then, that would just allow me to bring more tools, refreshments, etc.

I'll be there to help any way I can!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #22 of 32 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 9:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Hey Guys...just saw the thread. Count me in if it is sometime in August! John, if you guys need any special tools let me know. I may have to cage it - REAR DRIVE IS DOWN - but then, that would just allow me to bring more tools, refreshments, etc.

I'll be there to help any way I can!
Cool! We'll find you a bike. I got the trailer to haul tools. We still have a lot of firming up to do, but we'll get there. You'll probably be back on the road by then.

See ya 'round.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #23 of 32 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 9:13 am Thread Starter

I hope we can get it set up so that I can make it. Do we have location yet, for certain?

Randy
post #24 of 32 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 10:25 am

Quote:
I hope we can get it set up so that I can make it. Do we have location yet, for certain?

Randy
See your PM.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #25 of 32 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 1:10 pm

Hey Guys- I found this. Please let me know where and when, I would like to try to attend. If for nothing else, then just to meet some of you folks and look over some shoulders. Thanks!

Bruce Northrop

'99 BMW K1200 LT
'99 Triumph Sprint ST
'72 Norton 750 (resto in progress)
'69 Triumph TR6C (restored)
post #26 of 32 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 2:56 pm

Go here for more this tech session info

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...501#post196501

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #27 of 32 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 9:24 am Thread Starter

I signed up. Biggest thing will be the valves, I'm guessing. I think I can do the rest before or after, if need be. I'll have to go for the BMW filter at some point or order. Reckon I should do spark plugs? What's available locally, say from Oreillys, Advance, or Auto Zone?

Hard part about doing it independently is learning what works that can be procured locally. I'm not too confident in going with a painted oil filter, so probably need to order or pick one up, if I can get to GSO before then.

Looking forward to meeting and working.
Randy
post #28 of 32 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 9:48 am

Quote:
I signed up. Biggest thing will be the valves, I'm guessing. I think I can do the rest before or after, if need be. I'll have to go for the BMW filter at some point or order. Reckon I should do spark plugs? What's available locally, say from Oreillys, Advance, or Auto Zone?

Hard part about doing it independently is learning what works that can be procured locally. I'm not too confident in going with a painted oil filter, so probably need to order or pick one up, if I can get to GSO before then.

Looking forward to meeting and working.
Randy
Randy,

We can do all that easily. I think I have all the stuff you mentioned including filters and plugs. I'll check and let you know for sure. I stick with the BMW bosch plugs, oil and air filters to support the dealers.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #29 of 32 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 9:59 am Thread Starter

Uh, okay? I was just looking at the kit at Beemer boneyard. I was thinking this would be a good time to switch to synthetics, whaddaya think?

Randy
post #30 of 32 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 10:11 am

Quote:
I'm coming up on my 12 K service and need to do a canisterectomy. Anyone interested in getting together and doing a bit of service on their bikes? Dates are kinda open for me. I have teaching scheduled for rest of this month.

With that said, I do my service on my sidewalk or in the back yard. You would be welcome at my place, if those conditions are suitable. Or if anyone would like to offer a place, we can work that. I am going to see if I can locate a place we could work around here, too.

I have almost enough tools to do some jobs almost correctly. I have almost enough understanding to do some things okay. Would like to get together with others and maybe have enough tools and understanding to do it properly....

Randy

I'm interested, I needed to do my 12K service. Have a date been set?

Gene

05 Ocean Blue K1200LT
08 Maroon Suzuki C109R
post #31 of 32 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:18 pm

Quote:
Uh, okay? I was just looking at the kit at Beemer boneyard. I was thinking this would be a good time to switch to synthetics, whaddaya think?

Randy
I have only a fuel filter and an oil filter right now. I'm riding down to Charlotte BMW tomorrow and will pick up more PM parts. Go ahead and order your kit, the prices are great. I'll have some stuff if people need it.

Synthetics - yes now is fine. Some say 18k is better, big woop. However, I'm back to dino for everything in an effort to stem seal seapage. Your call.

To all - date is 21st, July - see link in post above (#26) for sign up sheet.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #32 of 32 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 9:53 am Thread Starter

Hmmmm, good point on seepage. I'll study on it.

Looking forward to the session.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in