RA Rally in Asheville - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old May 18th, 2007, 5:48 am Thread Starter

Question RA Rally in Asheville

Just wondering how many of you locals will be at the RA Rally in June. Maybe we can stage a BMWLT.Net meet & greet?

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old May 18th, 2007, 6:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
Just wondering how many of you locals will be at the RA Rally in June. Maybe we can stage a BMWLT.Net meet & greet?
Pre-registered and good to go. I'm leaving early to ride the Dragon as well!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 25 Old May 18th, 2007, 6:22 am

We're not registering to attend the whole rally, but as annual Biltmore pass holders were planning on swinging by to check things out.

A bmwklt meet would be fun.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

post #4 of 25 Old May 18th, 2007, 8:46 am

I was all ready to wander that way for a day until I saw the posting yesterday about the races in Savannah now I've got to decide which one

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #5 of 25 Old May 18th, 2007, 9:24 am

RA Rally Ashevlle

Can some one post the dates to the RA Rally? I just moved to Florence Ky from Greenville S.C. a year ago.Hope to find something to do in N. KY or S.OH. I don't know if we can make the RA Rally but I'd like to try.

Last edited by blord; May 18th, 2007 at 9:36 am.
post #6 of 25 Old May 18th, 2007, 11:04 am

I was going to be there as an instructor for the ERC classes they are going to offer, but am scheduled to teach somewhere else that weekend.

Anyone going to be near Deals Gap on Memorial Day? We'll be in that area that week sometime, staying over in Pigeon Forge, TN

Here's a link: http://www.bmwra.org/rally

Randy
post #7 of 25 Old May 18th, 2007, 3:39 pm

Talking

I'll be there for the day...and willing to guide tours in and around the area.
post #8 of 25 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:05 am

one day pass

Has anyone heard anything regarding the ability to purchase a one day pass to the RA? If you can what are they charging?
post #9 of 25 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 9:33 pm

Carol and I will lead a group from S Georgia. Should arrive there around 6pm on Thursday.
post #10 of 25 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:30 pm

I'm Riding up Friday from the Midlands of South Carolina if I can sneak away from work early enough. If not, then Saturday morning... I just picked up a new 2007 RT, and really want top try it in the mountains! (I just can't get too much over 600 miles due to the break-in service thing.)
post #11 of 25 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:37 pm

See this post http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...light=biltmore

For an attempted meet. See ya there.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #12 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 8:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferggie
Has anyone heard anything regarding the ability to purchase a one day pass to the RA? If you can what are they charging?
The guy organizing for the ERCs said there will be a single day pass on Saturday, but he didn't tell me the price.

Randy
post #13 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:14 pm

Cool Single day pass

I e-mailed a BMWRA rep, she stated a single Saturday pass is $43.

Chris

Hiddenite NC

'99 LTi Champagne

GTHC
post #14 of 25 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 7:53 am

My bike has been in my garage for the last week waiting on valve shims. The good news is that it was the FIRST valve adjustment required in 126k. The four that were out of spec were less than .001 out. What a brick. Started to put it back together last night and realized I had left the GPS on resulting in a very dead battery. If it is charged back up by this afternoon, I will be there tomorrw for a while. I figure to just walk around with a constant LT wave until someone notices

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #15 of 25 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 8:03 am

I just decided I'm going to head down for looksy around today, Friday, also.

Last few days at work have been killer. I need a nice pleasant quick ride.

Don't worry Chris, still going Sat. too.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #16 of 25 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 8:14 am

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridcage
I e-mailed a BMWRA rep, she stated a single Saturday pass is $43.
Thanks for letting us know. I sent emails and have had no luck with any replies.
post #17 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2007, 9:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

RA Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
I just decided I'm going to head down for looksy around today, Friday, also.

Last few days at work have been killer. I need a nice pleasant quick ride.

Don't worry Chris, still going Sat. too.
Had an alfresco lunch with John at the Winery on Friday.Rode the Dragon on Thursday and was passed by a a crotch rocket doing a wheelie! I'll check next week for Killboy and Zee photos of the Lady & me taming the dragon.

Took the Behind the Scenes Tour of the mansion and the audio walking tour. Whatta place! They have no idea what the original construction costs were. The original copper roof flashing trim had gold leaf outlining George Vanderbilt's initials! A different time and place . . .

I found a 6% error on the odometer compared to GPS. The RT was 1480 miles @48.3 mpg ranging from a leisurely tour of the BRP from Fancy Gap, VA into Asheville. Slabbed it on the return at legal plus a few.

Normally ride solo and forgot to adjust the ride for the added weight of the gear. When adjusted, it made a difference.

This was my first long trip on the LT. She performed like the lady she is!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	12323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	12324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	12325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0052.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	12326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	12327  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	12328  

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #18 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2007, 9:15 pm

Hi Paul,

Glad you made it home safely. Thanks again for lunch yesterday. Enjoyed the company very much. Good to see you had a good trip to our little part of the world. Nice pics.

Chris Vowell (hybridcage) and I went back today. Found all the vendors this time and met a few other Lt'ers like Jeff (jeffklt) and Tom Jones - not on this board and not the singer.

Everyone I talked to loved the venue.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #19 of 25 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 9:49 am

I talked with 12 LT riders around the rally and only two were familiar with this forum. Go figure.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #20 of 25 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklt
I talked with 12 LT riders around the rally and only two were familiar with this forum. Go figure.
Jeff, sorry I missed you up at the RA Rally, I was there on Friday, I didn't return Saturday, just got out and did some riding and tried to stay off my feet.

Same true here about the knowledge of the forum, I talked with several while at overlooks on the BRP, There seems to be a lot of new LT owners...that have purchased a used LT... If you see an LT with some "farkles" added you can almost bet they know of the forum.

I talked to one couple that was looking for an event like "Honda Hoot" for the BMW rider... I gave them one of my CCR cards and told them to check it out, hope to see them at Tan Tara A ...

I did run across a few CCR attendees and talked to one fellow that will be attending his first CCR as well.

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #21 of 25 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 7:10 am

RA Rally in Asheville

For Rally campers. I heard there were approximately 3000 campers and only 25 showers. Is that right? I bet the lines were long if that is true.

Ultra LT
post #22 of 25 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 8:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklt
Sounds like I need to make me a decal for the trunk of the bike, to help spread the word.....

Randy
post #23 of 25 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
For Rally campers. I heard there were approximately 3000 campers and only 25 showers. Is that right? I bet the lines were long if that is true.

Ultra LT
Whilst (upper crust expression @ the Biltmore) on the mansion tour, I spoke to one of the volunteers who worked the registration tent. There were approximately 1800 pre-registered but over 4000 total came through the gates. I camped one night and found a motel for the second night. The bullfrogs at the lagoon kept me awake.

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2016 Spain & Portugal

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #24 of 25 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 6:59 pm

Arrived Thurs afternoon and left Sat morning. Tour of the mansion was a highlight. Took the wife to afternoon tea at the Inn. I know, not a normal event at a MC rally. Rode the Gap on the way there, and through GSM Nat'l Park on the way home. I had been there back in 91 and was surprised to see the growth in Sevierville. There is about a bazillion "pancake houses".
Showers weren't that much of a problem, waited about ten minutes thurs night and less than 5 on fri.

Great rally. But, I am through with rallies between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Tired of the heat. Oh, and I wound up riding my 94 R1100RS since the LT stuck in first gear 6 miles from the house.
post #25 of 25 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

Sorry I missed you guys on Sat afternoon, but we decided to head home Saturday morning. We are not campers, and the rally did not attend to the motel crowd. We took the BRP and then some really obscure backroads cutting the corner of Tenn for the ride home. Out in the middle of nowhere on NC 88 I think, I ran across a pair of gold LTs and then a little later a third LT. I could not believe it! I also saw more LTs at the rally then I have seen even at a MOA rally where there is 3 times the crowd. We were well represented. (even saw another Impalla brown one!)

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in