Looking for a good day ride? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 17th, 2007, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

Looking for a good day ride?

Hey im looking for a good day ride this Sunday leaving my home around 9:00am and return about 8:00pm anyone have any good ideas? It will be my girlfriend and I , its kinda short notice so I haven't asked anyone else. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 17th, 2007, 8:29 pm

Hey Darryl from where you are, you can't go wrong on any road...

A nice loop over to the Blue Ridge Parkway would just be one of many, many choices...

Have a great ride...

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #3 of 11 Old May 17th, 2007, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

I am in Bristol , TN. Yea I am really leaning towards the BRP from Boone towards VA. I have ridden it from Boone all the way down to Cherokee and hit the Dragon , Topaco(sp) , Cherahola to robbinsville. So im thinking of going the other way this time.

post #4 of 11 Old May 18th, 2007, 11:07 am

If you go north on BRP, you might check stations innn for lunch at milepost 249. I think they are www.stationsinn.com on the net. May not be open yet.

Sounds like a good ride though. I know a buddy of mine from Bristol used to to that over a couple of days, but he was a flower sniffer. No offense intended to the flower sniffers.

Randy
post #5 of 11 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:55 am Thread Starter

Well I ended up riding the BRP. We started in Damascus, VA on 58 and headed towards Mouth of Wilson, VA. The ride to MOW was as good as Deals Gap curves o'plenty only drawback is that the road is not as maintained there is small gravel in the curves. Scenery was beautiful and loads of motorcycles. From 58 we hit 16 south towards Shatley Springs , we did not eat there but I wish we had. From SS we headed to the BRP and headed south mile marker 260 I believe it was. We crossed the Linn Cove Viaduct stopped for a moment at the visitor center there. From there we cruised to Blowing Rock , NC i never get tired of that place I love it there. This is were we ate and why I wished we had eaten at SS. We ate at Tijuana Fats one word YUCK!! From Blowing Rock we hit Boone , and Banner Elk before exiting into Elizabethton ,TN and on home to Bristol, TN all in all I think 237 mi. trip full of scenery , friendly people , AWESOME riding roads , and food well pick wisely. I would make this loop again it was fun I actually got 51.6mpg on this ride and I ran close to 80 on some of the roads but not the BRP.
post #6 of 11 Old May 21st, 2007, 10:04 am

Sounds like you did it on one tank!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #7 of 11 Old May 21st, 2007, 12:37 pm Thread Starter

ride

Yep all in one tank and I rode to work today 22mi one way and will probably get at least 60 more mi out of her before fill up.
post #8 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:57 am

Sounds like a good ride. Wife & I did BRP to MP249, got off on 18, then cut across 115 (?) to TN, then 421 back to Boone. We always go visit the stoop where my apartment stood - that's all that's left.

And you;re right about 58. Nothing like coming into a corner to realize it is covered in gravel.

So many nice roads in our part of the country. Shhhhh don;t tell anyone.....

I am often disappointed with eats in Blowing Rock. Boone is a different story.

We ought to meet up somewhere sometime (like we ever have time anymore).

Randy
post #9 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:46 am Thread Starter

Would love to meet and ride sometime anytime just let me know if im not working im there. I would have put a word out about riding this past Sunday but I wasn't sure the bike would be ready. It was dead Friday night and Saturday she did not come back to life until late Saturday night(had to charge the battery I killed it installing a XM radio). You can email me at [email protected] or [email protected] as long as I have a couple of days notice im good to go.
post #10 of 11 Old May 25th, 2007, 6:39 am

Randy-

If that's Rt 113 after you go by StationsInn on 18....be sure to eat at Motley's BBQ at the intersection of 113 and 221....and get the "special". It's a corncake filled with BBQ and white cheese/slaw....nothing like it anywhere else!

Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
Sounds like a good ride. Wife & I did BRP to MP249, got off on 18, then cut across 115 (?) to TN, then 421 back to Boone. We always go visit the stoop where my apartment stood - that's all that's left.

And you;re right about 58. Nothing like coming into a corner to realize it is covered in gravel.

So many nice roads in our part of the country. Shhhhh don;t tell anyone.....

I am often disappointed with eats in Blowing Rock. Boone is a different story.

We ought to meet up somewhere sometime (like we ever have time anymore).

Randy

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #11 of 11 Old May 25th, 2007, 8:49 am

We'll be passing thru Bristol Sunday on our way to Pigeon Forge. I'll wave...If we weren't traveling with car and bike and kids, etc. I'd say we'd stop in a take a ride somewhere.

As for the BBQ place, that certainly sounds interesting. But I'm a sucker for Q so I'd try it.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in