New to the area - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 12th, 2005, 8:49 am Thread Starter

New to the area

I was born and raised in southwest Florida and have spent my entire life residing in the same county. Everything around here's flat and it's hot most of the year. I'm 46 years old with retirement eligibility less than two months away after 25 years as a municipal law enforcement officer, but I'll probably enter the D.R.O.P. program for no more than a year. I just purchased four and a half acres right outside of White Pine, TN and will be moving there sometime in the not too distant future. It's gonna be an adventure. In Florida it's pretty much year-round riding weather and I'm betting that's gonna change. Anybody got any general advice or words of wisdom about the area? Roads, weather, places to visit, things to see, etc?

Mike
'03 K12RS
'03 K12LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 12th, 2005, 9:19 am

If my home sale here had not fallen through, we would have almost been neighbors! I had a contract on a home in Baneberry, on Lake Douglas, about 5 miles from White Pine.

I don't know about winter weather there, but was told it was pretty moderate, only a few days where snow or ice would be a problem. Certainly colder than here in San Diego though!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 12th, 2005, 2:39 pm

Hey Mike,

Welcome to Year Round Rider territory. You will get some snow on the Tennessee side of the Smokies, but with Gerbings, Warm & Safe or 'Stitch' gear, you'll can have rear round riding on some darn good roads, except the stuff high up in the mountains.

Cheers.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 16th, 2005, 2:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mser
adventure. In Florida it's pretty much year-round riding weather and I'm betting that's gonna change. Anybody got any general advice or words of wisdom about the area? Roads, weather, places to visit, things to see, etc?

Mike
'03 K12RS
'03 K12LT
it's going to be cold for a bit up there, but don't park that bike for winter as you will still have some great day;s to ride, I moved up to the Dahlonega Ga area (up to the mountains) from Brevard county (the Space coast area) so I know you will be cold for a bit, be home before dark till ya get used to cold weather, damn that first year I thought I was going to freeze to damn death!

ok I still think I'm going to freeze up there, but hey it;s only my second year out of florida!

BTW we ride quite a bit up there, keep in touch, put this e-mail in your addy book
[email protected]
Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 16th, 2005, 4:35 pm

I not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs

BTW we ride quite a bit up there, keep in touch, put this e-mail in your addy book
[email protected]
Tom
I not sure that's an addy you want in your address book, but it's still in mine.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 16th, 2005, 5:03 pm

Hey Tom,

I'm not sure you ever get used to the cold out along the TVD...just learn to live with it I guess. Coldest I've ever been in my life was working out at Camp Merrill. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

I agree with your restaurant choice in your other post...good people and good food.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 17th, 2005, 6:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
Hey Tom,

I'm not sure you ever get used to the cold out along the TVD...just learn to live with it I guess. Coldest I've ever been in my life was working out at Camp Merrill. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

I agree with your restaurant choice in your other post...good people and good food.

yea cold sucks for sure, food is good there for sure, come onj over when we do this

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in