Americade?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 18th, 2007, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

Smile Americade??

I just got the mailing on Americade and am giving it some consideration. Any words of wisdon? What should one expect? What should one definitely do? What would be the preferred campground? Anyone else interested in riding up?

For me it would be a 1070 mile trip and I would take two days to get there. Right now I'm thinking of Tue or Wed thru the closing on Sat. Use Sun and Mon to get back home, maybe. Since school would be out, (maybe permantely for me) the bottom line is I don't have to be anywhere for awhile. The grass can just grow.

tcars
John

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 6:24 am

Now that you mentioned it, I might be interested too. It would be a nice change from the BMW Rallys. Will you be camping out? I haven't since cub scouts. And will you be going with the Mrs?
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 4:38 pm

Web Site

Go to the Americade web site and get on the bulliton boards and ask questions. It is a great rally very nice riding area. I think most of the BMW riders stay at the same camp ground but I don't know which one? Lake George does not like load pipes and will stop ypu going into town "my kind of rally' check it out you will get all the info you need.

Rodger

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Ride Safe

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 6:03 pm

Thumbs down lake george

went to the americade in 2005 they would half to pay me to go back. way to crowded. way overpriced. way overrated. used to go every year in the late 80s and early 90s it was a nice quite touring rally then. i got away from it for about 10 yrs. then went back in 05. what a mess. during the day the streets are all jammed up with bikes. takes forever to move a block. don't be fooled the town does absolutely nothing to stop the loud pipes. they would like you to believe they do. the loud pipes are in the majority between them and the sport bikes doing burnouts and wheelies on main st. like i said its a mess. don't know about camping always moteled it.there is a good chance the motels are sold out by now.
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 7:21 am

I'm glad I saw your post, Dan, for several reasons. I've been intrigued by Americade, but don;t like to be stuck in the traffic lines at a rally. I like Honda Hoot because it';s pretty tame and easy to get around. WEnt to Laconia last year as we passed thru NH on our way to Vermont. WE were just trying to ride thru every state. It was raining and the crownd was pretty tame and sparse at laconia, due to the weather I'm assuming.

And second, I see you;re in Statesville. I teach the motorcycle class occasionally over at Mitchell. I am scheduled down there 4 times this year. I usually try to ride some on Saturday evening after class, if you;re interested. PM me if you want to try to get together sometime. I find a dinner ride to be supreme.

Randy
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Smile Camping?

Greg:

I guess you could call it that, I'll have a camper behind me. As for Cindy, no, that in no way interests her. Guess I need to find that BMW campground as I too do not care for loud pipes. Been to Daytona, so I know.

tcars
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
Now that you mentioned it, I might be interested too. It would be a nice change from the BMW Rallys. Will you be camping out? I haven't since cub scouts. And will you be going with the Mrs?

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

Last edited by JCarver; Feb 21st, 2007 at 2:55 pm. Reason: mispelling
post #7 of 13 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 7:18 pm

Americade is GREAT

Except for last year when I did not attend Americade I had been to the event for 16 straight years begining when I lived in NJ and then continued when I moved south. It is really a great event. What it is NOT .... it is not bike week or Laconia. There are only 2 bars in town that are magnets for the 1% of the crowd who what to drink beer and show their boobs. But the rest of the town is very family oriented. What Americade is .... it is a well organized well run family oriented event held in a great part of the country with great roads. It is a great event for those who love a diverse mix of motorcycles. Unilike Bike week where Harley is the most common bike, at Americade you will see a little bit of everything .... old, new, sport, touring, adventure, scooters, trikes and just about anything you can think of. Canada street is the main street in town and at night it is a handlebar to handlebar free bike show. The common practice is to stroll down Canada Street with a Ben & Jerry's or a coffee and check out the bikes and chat with the friendly attendees. There is a huge Tour Expo with Tons of gear, pin stripers and farkle installers. YES .... much of the accessories is geared toward Honda, Gold Wings, and now cruisers. But there are a lot of great vendors with BMW stuff too .... Cycle Gadgets is there, Corbin, Givi, etc. There is a lot of other stuff that is great to check out. There are Demo rides by no less than 11 manufacturers. Just about anyone who had a demo team is there. YES .... Canada street does get crowded at night but is only crazy on Friday and Saturday. I usually head home Saturday morning so I miss the nuts on Saturday. The Friday and Saturday issue is that the week following Americade is Laconia so many of the Laconia crowd stop in Lake George for the weekend and then head to Laconia on Monday. But as I said ... .just head home Saturday morning and you will miss a lot of the mess. YES .... room in town are hard to come by and the prices are going up .... but having atteneded 4 BMW rallies I can tell you I find some of the same gouging taking place there. But much less than at events like Bike Week where rooms can run $200 per night. If you stay outside of town you can land a nice clean roon for under $100 per night. There is also camping but not being a camper I can not tell you which sites are best. There is bike judging and seminars all day long at Roaring Brook ranch with some well know speakers. I attend the Honda Hoot as well since it is so close to me and while it is a nice event Americade just has more "stuff" to see and do. Don't get me wrong BOTH are great events .... just a little different. But Both are very family oriented. And one thing about Ameircade is they are pretty tough on loud pipes so keep your straight pipes at home.

So if you love motorcycles and friendly folk you should enjoy Americade!

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 26th, 2007, 7:50 am

Wow, what a differing set of opinions. I've been thinking for awhile that I would like to go to Americade, then the previous post about it not being that good., etc. USUALLY, I find that stopping by a rally for a day is about all I need. Then ride the rest of the time. When we go to the Hoot, we usually do the Hoot for a day and ride my own rides rest of the time.

Thanks for another perspective.
Randy
post #9 of 13 Old Feb 26th, 2007, 4:54 pm

Americade is the best rally I have been to & the only one I would do again. It's not a Bike week type rally, it's more like Honda Hoot, but for everyone. You get to see every kind of bike & everyone is riding. Yes main street is crowded, but not with people parading up & down, they are riding in & out of town. I liked sitting at a sidewalk cafe, drinking coffee & watching all the different kinds of bikes. I don't care for brand name gatherings, I like them all. It was also probably the cheapest one I ever attended. Spend about a half a day visiting the venders then enjoy the town & the good riding in the area.
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 26th, 2007, 8:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
Americade is the best rally I have been to & the only one I would do again. It's not a Bike week type rally, it's more like Honda Hoot, but for everyone. You get to see every kind of bike & everyone is riding. Yes main street is crowded, but not with people parading up & down, they are riding in & out of town. I liked sitting at a sidewalk cafe, drinking coffee & watching all the different kinds of bikes. I don't care for brand name gatherings, I like them all. It was also probably the cheapest one I ever attended. Spend about a half a day visiting the venders then enjoy the town & the good riding in the area.
Well put BigE !! I believe you have nailed it.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 27th, 2007, 9:14 am

americade

I strongly agree with both ED and big E.
I would caution you about camping out in early June. The area as it can still be a bit brisk. Also don't forget your good rain gear..Last year attendance was light due to the rain, and I had no problems getting a room. You should plan on staying thru sun.and take the ride up prospect mtn. to the BMW lunch and ABS demo. very impressive.

FEAR NOT THE PATH OF INDIVIDUALITY-for the flock may well be led to slaughter.
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 27th, 2007, 9:23 am

Such a great area to ride when there is no rally around
post #13 of 13 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 8:51 pm

John,

Americaide is great! One block west of main street there is no backup of traffic. There is an exit off I 87 on each end of town. The Roaring Brook Ranch is only 2-3 miles off the interstate with no traffic lights or stop signs in between. If you say you are going to have fun, then you will. Keep a positive attitude. Also take rain gear. Last year it rained, so this year it should be better. I tried to have a group BMW camp at Moreau lake campground. Only two BMWs showed up. I only had 2 months to set it up.

Go to www.tourexpo.com for info on Americaide. They don't list the State campgrounds. The State has the campgrounds under two departments. One is DEC for inside the Adirondack Park http://www.decstate.ny.us/website/do...tml#adironcack and outside is under N Y State Parks http://NYSParks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=119 Under dec check Luzerne, lake george battlefield, and Hearthstone campgrounds. I had the group site at Moreau Lake State Park which is 15 miles south of Lake George, 1 mile off the interstate 87, which is in the park system. It is confusing even to me the way it is set up. The Adirondack Park covers 1000s of acres from Glens Falls to Lake Placid, which is under DEC. (dept of environmental conservation).

If you have any more questions, give me a shout. [email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in