Florida Tech Session/Daze...Sat Feb 24th - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Florida Tech Session/Daze...Sat Feb 24th

From the response in the interested thread, I will be hosting a tech session here at my place in Gainesville on Saturday, February 24th. I was thinking about having it on March 3, but I might be in Daytona for some demo rides then.

On to the pertinent details:

Saturday, Feb 24th
Arrival times to start at 9:00am
End times whenever the mood hits
Address:

Adam Brown
8418 SW 11th Road
Gainesville, Fl 32607

Ok, the neighborhood is new so you will not find it on mapquest, google or yahoo. I don't know about the msn maps or the gps systems, but I doubt it there as well. The closest I can find online is the following link to a Google Map . This should help when you're looking at my directions. Maybe . Here are directions from I-75, exit #387.

On I-75, take exit #387 (Newberry Road, SR-26)
Head West on Newberry Road. Stay in the leftmost lane if you can, as that will become the turn lane for southbound on Tower Road.
Turn South on SW 75th Street / Tower Road. Stay in the right lane. You will turn right onto 8th Ave directly before the road merges from two lane into one.
Turn West on SW 8th Ave
Turn South on SW 86th Street, subdivision name Cobblefield. If you get to the traffic circle, you've gone too far.
Turn East at the third street on your left, SW 10th Road, subsubdivision name Dunnideer. You will come to an immediate stop sign.
Turn South (right hand turn) onto SW 11th Road
The road will curve to the east, we are the 5th house on the left hand side. There should be two cars in the street, a gold Volvo coupe and a red Prius. Might also be a blue BMW LT in the driveway as well

If you need further directions or have any questions, feel free to PM me or contact me at the following phone: 352-505-5725.

Weather looks good, but as we still have some time twixt now and then, I'll keep an eye on it. If it turns out we need to cancel, I will plan on rescheduling.

I'm extending this invitation onto the BMWSportTouring Forums, so there should be a wide range of bimmers there.

I've never hosted nor been to a Tech Session before, but hope to see many there, and perhaps even learn a few things. There is a nice thread over at BMWSportTouring on tips for tech daze participants and hosts for those who've never attended one before. I used it when planning this out, and found it very helpful. For those planning oil changes, the one tool I don't have right now is an oil filter wrench. Remember to bring consumables with you (oil, oil filter, brake fluid, etc). There is an Advance Auto Parts nearby (>1 mile) if you need something, but the closest BMW dealer is Orlando, Daytona, etc so make sure you bring your oil filter.

I am new to maintenance on the LT, and this tech session will be very dependent on the more experienced people showing up to lend their expertise and help. Thanks in advance for those who show up.

For everyone who does show up, I'm planning on hamburgers and other nice grilling stuff for lunch. There is a supermarket very close if we have any special requests, or run out of food.

Feel free to respond if you are planning on making it. That'll help me in planning logistics. If a moderator could make this into a sticky until then, that would also help.

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 7:29 am Thread Starter

I just realized that this date may conflict with the Police Rodeo in Tallahassee. If this does end up being a problem for people, let me know and I'll try and reschedule.

Adam
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
post #3 of 11 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 9:13 am

You are correct, the Police Rodeo is scheduled for wednessday the 21st through Saturday the 24th, with (I assume) Saturday being the "highlight"

So it goes with scheduling events, there's always going to be something else going on.

You'll probably remember that the RTE where we met was scheduled on the same weekend as the Florida Winter Rally, still the "turnout" was beyond everybody's expectations.

My advice would be to "wait and see" how many want to attend your "tech session"

I don't think "the Motorman" would "hold it against you,
my first impression of him is that he's "above" all of that.

Quote:
Edit:
You are also quite correct with your directions, My GPS NavII with V-8 can't find you and according to Google earth there are only trees where your house is located, so I printed out this little map for my convenience, thought I might as well share it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02-16-2007B 10;36;05AM.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	9996  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Last edited by SilverBuffalo; Feb 16th, 2007 at 10:37 am.

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 1:57 pm

Adam,
Sorry but the 24th is not good for me. We have a family gathering planned for that date and the 25th I have to work at a Seminol Power Sports "Special Event". Our school is sponsoring a Motorcycle Training booth there. I'll catch ya'll next time around.

Lynn Keen

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #5 of 11 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 8:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
You are correct, the Police Rodeo is scheduled for wednessday the 21st through Saturday the 24th, with (I assume) Saturday being the "highlight"

So it goes with scheduling events, there's always going to be something else going on.

You'll probably remember that the RTE where we met was scheduled on the same weekend as the Florida Winter Rally, still the "turnout" was beyond everybody's expectations.

My advice would be to "wait and see" how many want to attend your "tech session"

I don't think "the Motorman" would "hold it against you,
my first impression of him is that he's "above" all of that.
Yes, the "highlight" is Saturday and Thursday and Friday is just pratice. I would take a tech session over a rodeo any day. The rodo is more "if you are in the area" and they are kind of cool to watch. If you make it great, if not no big deal. I will have our new R1200RTP to look at.
post #6 of 11 Old Feb 18th, 2007, 4:28 pm Thread Starter

First you make me feel good about scheduling the tech session during the same time as the Rodeo, then you make me feel bad that I won't see your new RTP.

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #7 of 11 Old Feb 18th, 2007, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

What Services Will Be There...

Ok, to help out everyone with planning, if you're comfortable helping and demonstrating services, please put that in your response when replying. I'll keep my first post updated with who those will be nice enough to help others with wrenching.

Again, I have very little experience with maintenance on the LT, so for those of you kind enough to do so, you will receive an extra hamburger. Buns will be extra, however .

Hope everyone is enjoying the sudden chill, and has an opportunity to "test" out your heated grips, seats, and clothing.

Cheers,

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #8 of 11 Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 9:15 am Thread Starter

Going to get some people coming over from BMW Riders of Tampa, as well as a few others from the BMWSportTouring community. Should be a nice range of bikes there.

Even if you're not up for a tech session, please do come by to meet people and have a bite to eat.

See y'all there.

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #9 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 2:20 pm Thread Starter

Weather is looking great, hope to see everyone tomorrow.

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 25th, 2007, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone from the BMWLT and BMWSportTouring for coming by, and hope that everyone had a good time.

On the plus side, I had no troubles with taking my tupperware off (not counting the bottom piece which I had to take back off after forgetting to put the plug wire cover back on). And found a new leak, on the center stand hydraulic piston, which was just replaced 5 days ago. Nice.

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 26th, 2007, 10:44 am

Sorry I missed your tech session, I was already busy. Sounds as if you had a good time and turnout. Maybe next time I can make it. I've been to two previous at other members places. Good times and great people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in