Florida RTE - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:59 pm Thread Starter

Florida RTE

To "Silver Buffalo": Thanks for orchestrating the very nice get together. Met lots of fine people and gained lots of advice and insight on the LT. It was a pleasure to be there and look forward to the next.
The LT with the side car was the best!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ride To Eat 1-13-07 003.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	781.4 KB
ID:	9370  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:19 am

Thank you all for attending, we certainly picked a good day for it, the 80 degree temperature made for a very pleasant ride and the turnout was beyond my expectations,

I never got around to taking an official count but my guess-timate is around 30-35 smiling faces,

I had brought my camera with fresh charged batteries
but with so much going on I never got it out of the tankbag.
I did see a few others with picture taking equipment
and I hope you'll share some of those photo's.

One thing I'd like to mention here, because it impressed me:
I had at least a half a dozen people that I'd never seen before mention at our introduction
that they knew who I was from my avatar picture,
I would like to encourage y'all to also post your photo
I think many of you are like me and maybe not so good with names, but I never forget a face.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 13 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

A few photos from the River Ranch RTE.
And we all agree "Silver Buffalo" is much more of a "Silver Fox" in person!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ride To Eat 1-13-07 001.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	714.1 KB
ID:	9382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ride To Eat 1-13-07 002.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	817.9 KB
ID:	9383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ride To Eat 1-13-07 004.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	837.8 KB
ID:	9384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ride To Eat 1-13-07 007.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	727.0 KB
ID:	9385  

post #4 of 13 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 5:14 pm

"RTE"

Also to "Silver Buffalo", thank you very much for giving me a heads up on the "RTE" Sat. It was a nice ride,good lunch,and a lot of fun. Met some nice folks,but I couldn`t get around to as many as I would have liked. Thanks again, Marc.
post #5 of 13 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 5:33 pm

Hey, Hans - great job on the RTE. A very respectable turnout, which makes these thangs mucho fun and memorable. I still recall some of our early ones, back 6 years ago.

Y'all just need to work on making it a habit now!!

Like you, I frequently get so wrapped up in greeting folks and seeing who shows, and checking out farkles, etc., and after it's all over and we're headin' to the barn, I remember that I did bring a camera --- still in the top case!

I'll be looking forward to reading about your next one, Hans. Ride safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Thank you all for attending, we certainly picked a good day for it, the 80 degree temperature made for a very pleasant ride and the turnout was beyond my expectations,

I never got around to taking an official count but my guess-timate is around 30-35 smiling faces,

I had brought my camera with fresh charged batteries
but with so much going on I never got it out of the tankbag.
I did see a few others with picture taking equipment
and I hope you'll share some of those photo's.

One thing I'd like to mention here, because it impressed me:
I had at least a half a dozen people that I'd never seen before mention at our introduction
that they knew who I was from my avatar picture,
I would like to encourage y'all to also post your photo
I think many of you are like me and maybe not so good with names, but I never forget a face.
post #6 of 13 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 5:41 pm

Want to add my own thanks and enjoyment, as well as the pics that I took of the parking lot that was invaded.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	786.7 KB
ID:	9397   Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	9398   Click image for larger version

Name:	image003.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	9399   Click image for larger version

Name:	image004.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	9400  

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
post #7 of 13 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 1:00 pm

Great Time

Great time....it was great to meet a bunch of other people crazy enough to own Beemers in general and LT's more specifically. I think I had only ever seen two other LT's on the road in South Florida...then seeing 15 or so in the same parking lot was a real treat.

Down side was spending roughly 6 hours in the saddle over 24 hours.... reminding me that I really need to do something about the 2006 seat. Also the longer runs at highway speed make you cognisant of how noisy the stock 06 windscreen is....at least if you're 6'2"; that needs to go as well. Both were already on the list.

Definitely would do again some time.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #8 of 13 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 9:46 pm

Garage
A bit disappointed

Hello, everyone:

I don't want anyone here to feel offended, but I must speak my mind. I was truly looking forward to this RTE and planned my whole month around it, so I wouldn't be on call that weekend. My friend Cynthia and I arrived at the restaurant at around 12:45 and I proceeded to look for and meet Hans and his wife. Since we were a bit late, we had to sit at the far end of the restaurant at an empty booth, where only the waitress talked to us. I was hoping that at the end of the meal, someone would introduce themselves, as I had done at Hans' table, but that didn't happen. One fellow struck up a conversation with us outside and we later saw him inside the restaurant. When all was done, everyone left and we were by ourselves. I guess I was expecting at least someone to say "so you're neodoc" as I had with Hans, but, sadly, that didn't happen. I think the idea of a RTE is great and I truly appreciate all the help and friendly advice I have received from this forum, but it was a reminder of what happened to me at the CCR last August, where I traveled 800 miles only to end up riding alone to places and not really getting a chance to match names with faces and possibly strike up long distance friendships. We have something very important in common, namely the beloved LT, and for most, it is a source of comaraderie. However, I felt a bit left out, despite trying to join the human group behind the online group. I may be at fault, and will assume my part of the responsibility for this, but the groups at the restaurant seemed to be already formed and short of going table to table introducing myself, which would have been a bit awkward, I don't know what else I could have done. I hate to be the fly in the ointment, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings with this commentary, but it's how I feel and I need to express it. I have always tried to be friendly and courteous to all with whom I've interacted on the site, but there seems to be a difference between what is coneyed in the forum and what happens in real life. I thank you for reading this and hope all of your rides are safe and enjoyable. I just don't think I'll be participating in many of them.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #9 of 13 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 10:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink Hi All

April & I had a great time there at the RTE... Good Job Hans...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 12:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodoc
Hello, everyone:
I have always tried to be friendly and courteous to all with whom I've interacted on the site, but there seems to be a difference between what is coneyed in the forum and what happens in real life. I thank you for reading this and hope all of your rides are safe and enjoyable. I just don't think I'll be participating in many of them.
Joe, real sorry to have missed you as I would have easily remembered your name!
My wife and I were the first to arrive and one of the last to leave, B.S.'n with Hans and his wife (who both incidentally have conspired with my wife trying to persuade me in buying a trailer and other $$$ stuff! ).
We were at the far left and had to re-arrange the furniture to get some of us together. Nice regular people did not see any stuffed shirts. We did not know anyone but exchanged names on table napkins with close to a dozen couples!
You don't live to far from me on Marco so ping me any time if ya feel like hooking up, maybe you can show us some nice empty Miami roads !

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #11 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 8:03 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Joe, I for one, went table to table and spoke to just about everybody as we all were seated on the patio.

Arriving late not only put you late being seated but late as well for the socializing that takes place prior to the meal.

There were a lot of attendees relatively speaking for a Florida RTE and while I knew several there, I also introduced myself to several new faces.

These gatherings are really no different from other social engagements where one must mingle to make the connections that may lead to friendships.

I was at the table at the far right end of the patio as you enter it from the restaurant proper, seated with Janet & Lynn Keen and my Bro James.

There were two empty seats at our table where you could have joined us. You would have been welcome to do so, but how were we as a group to know you wanted to join us, if you don't make the effort to introduce yourself?
Dave:

I actually made an effort to meet people, asking someone at another table if this was the BMW group and who Hans was. I realize that arriving late put me at a disadvantage, but the meeting time was 12 noon. We arrived at 12:45, which was not necessarily the end of the gathering. When I approached Hans, he kindly introduced me to his wife and the others at the table remained silent. At no time was I asked where we were sitting and whether we'd like to join the group at a table nearby. I suppose I expected the same type of treatment I give others whom I meet for the first time. I'm not upset at anyone, and truly do not wish to create a rift, as I enjoy participating in this forum and was actually looking forward to meeting you. That never happened. After the meal everone cleared out and they were off. Perhaps another time...

Joe
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #12 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 1:30 pm

Joe
I'm real sorry I wasn't a better host,
there were only a few people there that I actually knew by name,

I had never met the folks at the table where I was sitting,

if I had realized that you had just arrived I would have certainly asked you to join us,
I thought you were just walking around making introduction while waiting for the food.
There were others there that I never had a chance to talk to either so don't take it personal
as you've probably read in previous post's I even forgot to take pictures.

You are just as much a part of this group as any of us,
facial recognition plays a big part,
while in line to pay I talked with a rider who remembered me
from when I put on the Tentpegger rally 10 years ago,
it takes time to get to know people.

I don't know if your schedule will allow you to come to Cedar Key on 1/27 which is the next event.

I would like to extend this "olive branch"
Pick a time and place that fits both of our schedules,
and my wife and I will ride down to Miami just to have lunch with you and your friend,
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there are a few other riders from our forum that will join us.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Last edited by SilverBuffalo; Jan 17th, 2007 at 1:43 pm.
post #13 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 5:18 pm

Garage
Thank you all for your comments. As I mentioned, I'm not upset, nor do I take any of this personally. It was just one of those things that can happen. I still have you all in the highest regard and would be happy to have another go at it. Unfortunately, I'll be on call the weekend of the 27th, but I'll look for other opportunities posted in the future and perhaps we can do a RTE&M in Miami as was suggested. I'd be happy to co-host that with Hans or whoever else would like to join. There are lovely places here where we could meet, and food of all kinds to try. Again, I appreciate your understanding of the feelings I expressed. It's when one is most comfortable with people that one can feel free to speak one's mind. Until next time.

Joe
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in