Robbinsville, NC Motels?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

Robbinsville, NC Motels??

Hi Gang,

This spring, a friend and I are going to take our SO’s on a three or four day trip to ride the Dragon, the Cherohala Skyway and some of the other great roads in the area. My trip up there last year was without my wife and a group of us stayed at the Deals Gap resort. While the “resort” was clean and had a wonderful motorcycle/camping atmosphere, it was a little spartan in the way of accommodations (like a bar and restaurant).

My wife’s concept of roughing it is “no room service”. So, in the interest of domestic harmony and bliss, I’m thinking about staying in Robbinsville, NC or somewhere close by. Perhaps someone can make some suggestions for a motel or bed-and-breakfast. I’m not looking for a luxury suite with valet parking, just someplace nice with a friendly bar and good restaurant close by (the bar has to be within walking distance of the motel).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Smith
Greensboro, NC
’05 Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 9:11 pm

"The bar" ain't gonna happen in Robbinsville, as it's 'dry'. If I'm remembering correctly. Most counties are around there. A lot of us stay at the Iron Horse Lodge which is right in the heart of things. Right off 28 in Stecoah. The people are nice and friendly there, and they serve three meals a day. Do NOT miss the prime rib on Friday evening!!!

Tell John and Charlene (the owners) that "Sexy" sent ya!
post #3 of 17 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 9:14 pm

Robbinsville has a nice Microtel. 3 or 4 floors (IIRC), reasonably-priced, maybe a 15 minute ride from the Iron Horse Lodge. I'd stay there again if I return to the area.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 9:15 pm
Bouncer

http://www.tapocolodge.com/

Tapoco Lodge is a great place. You have the main lodge rooms, as well as cottages. There is a full service restaurant on-site, along with a liquor store. They are very motorcycle friendly.

http://www.fontanavillage.com/

Up the road a little bit is the Fontana Resort. They run hot and cold in terms of being motorcycle friendly. I've been there twice. One time, I felt very welcome. The other time, I felt very unwelcome. I hadn't even got my helmet off, so I know it wasn't me.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #5 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 7:13 am

Jeff,

Fontana Village's regard for us has run hot and cold through the years, not to mention the 1997 RA Rally fiasco. But if I'm not mistaken, they have recently taken a decidedly more friendly approach to motorcycles, up to and including hosting an annual gathering of some sort. The last time I was in the area a couple of months ago I read something about it in a local publication. One can only hope.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #6 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 7:40 am

We usually hit the Gap when we go to Knoxville. Seems like 30 - 45 minutes from the Gap. Knoxville has all a lady could ask for, shopping, alcohol, restaurants, etc. I think we stayed at a Hampton Inn off of I 75 with a pool, restaurant, bar/lounge, and across the street from a mall. And plenty of rides beside the gap close by. There's also Maryville and the Gatlinburg area in TN. And bike night in Knoxville is pretty neat too in the Old City part of Knoxville.

Haven't spent any time in Robbinsville, so I can't say.

Randy
post #7 of 17 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Robbinsville has a nice Microtel. 3 or 4 floors (IIRC), reasonably-priced, maybe a 15 minute ride from the Iron Horse Lodge. I'd stay there again if I return to the area.
I'll second the Microtel, breakfast, wash area & towels to clean your scoot. Very BIKE friendly.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #8 of 17 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 4:02 pm

Phillips Motel (828-479-3370) in Robbinsville. Older, Ma-and-Pa motel - clean - biker-friendly (has a bucket of older towels for wiping off bike on the front porch). Had a restaurant right next door, but the restaurant was out of business on my last visit. Call to compare prices with Microtel and find out if the restaurant has re-opened.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #9 of 17 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 4:14 pm

For the best bang for the buck, IMO you simply can't beat the Tuskeegee Motel. Old place, but CLEAN. I've stayed there 4 or 5 times. It's WAY cheap, and having the gas station attached is also convenient. There's a restaurant next door, but I believe it is now closed.

They also send me a Christmas card every year.
post #10 of 17 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 4:14 pm
Rider Journeyman

THIS place was looked good for Spring and Summer. I ate at the resturaunt and it was good.

The ride out to the Dragon from the resort was excellent.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #11 of 17 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 6:32 pm

No More Tuskegee Motel for Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
For the best bang for the buck, IMO you simply can't beat the Tuskeegee Motel. Old place, but CLEAN. I've stayed there 4 or 5 times. It's WAY cheap, and having the gas station attached is also convenient. There's a restaurant next door, but I believe it is now closed.

They also send me a Christmas card every year.
At STC II last year (my first time there) we had a three-night reservation. We checked out the morning after one night at the Tuskeegee. Not a pleasant experience for 2 reasons -- 1 within their control and 1 outside their control:

The bed was awful. We tossed and turned all night. While I could live (sleep) with that, I couldn't sleep because of the "motel" setup -- there are chairs outside each room and this encourages motel guests to sit up and chat all night. That's cool, but when they are outside your window and the walls are paper thin, and they get louder and louder as the night goes on it gets really old. Wife and I heard every "f*** this" and "f*** that"... for hours. I stepped outside at 2:00 a.m. and politely asked my fellow motorcyclists if they could call it a night. Took a lot of grief from them for that. Never again, for me, will I stay at an older motel setup like that. If it works for you then go for it.

On the plus side -- as Joe says -- the Tuskegee is reasonably-priced, the folks are nice, the gas station is there and yes it's convenient. It's also closer to the Iron Horse Lodge than Robbinsville, and some (all?) of the rooms have kitchenettes -- a chance to get home cooking and save $$.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #12 of 17 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 6:48 pm

I'd back Joe up with The Ironhorse Campground, bring your own spirits and enjoy!
Just don't rent the bunkhouse when Brett's in the area, he'll be likely to take your sleeping bag if you don't watch him!
post #13 of 17 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 7:28 pm

SanRan

Don't forget the SanRan...."Sandy and Randy Phillips".....(no relation to me)
http://www.sanranmotel.com/

The rooms are bigger than Microtel and Tuskeegee and they let you keep your bike on the carpeted front porches under cover. It's right next door to Microtel...also a good place and newer.

One thing I discovered at Tuskeegee after a few visits is that the window is typically cracked open and that was the source of a lot of road noise and chatter audible from the room. Close the window!!

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #14 of 17 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 7:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp767
...One thing I discovered at Tuskeegee after a few visits is that the window is typically cracked open and that was the source of a lot of road noise and chatter audible from the room. Close the window!!
That was the first thing we tried. The window closed just fine but it made no difference. YMMV.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #15 of 17 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 6:22 am

What happens at Ironhorse.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo
I'd back Joe up with The Ironhorse Campground, bring your own spirits and enjoy!
Just don't rent the bunkhouse when Brett's in the area, he'll be likely to take your sleeping bag if you don't watch him!
, stays at Ironhorse!

I totally agree with Jeff, Tapoco Lodge is the best in the area, great food, GREAT location and reasonable prices. This is also a family-owned business.

I have stayed there many times. I have also stayed at the Tuskege, Mictrotel, Ironhorse and the Gap hotel (never will do that again)!

The Ironhorse Campground will definetly be a great choice as well.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #16 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 8:37 am

Hey Brett-

I take it you have never stayed at the SanRan?

I had always overlooked it too until one day Sandy and I were going to stay at Microtel and they were full. I looked over and saw all the bikes at SanRan and ended up there. We met some really interesting bikers there.

One in particular was a Canadian couple on 2 Hondas...the wife rode a Goldwing with a neat sidecar that held their infant baby girl. It had a cover and they had rigged it with intercom so she could monitor the baby if she cried etc...but she said most of the time she loved it or slept quietly.
She (the wife) turned out to also be a motorcycle instructor and was glad to see Sandy riding her own bike...an R1200C cruiser ( the one she rode to STC I way back when)

The other group was a bunch of Delta pilots from Atlanta who were all into Ham radios and had miniature models on their bikes.

Overall the SanRan was really nice and had large rooms with fridges and microwaves....and you could park your bike under the porch with the blessing of the owner...Randy....unlike Tuskeegee where Bill definitely does NOT want you to do that.

We still stay at all 3 depending on time of year and what's open and available.

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #17 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 4:58 pm

Wes, I have seen the SanRan but have never stayed there before, that tailofthedragon website gives it a thumbs up!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in