Florida roads - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 5:55 pm Thread Starter

Florida roads

There is a possibility that I might be relocating to the Jacksonville, FL area in the next month or so. So, my LT riding friends, what are the roads like? Are there any good curvy roads and fun rides in that part of Florida.

The nice mountain roads are one of the many things that I will miss about leaving NC, but one must work to feed the beast.

Any suggestions, recommended roads, advice about the Jacksonville area would be more than appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:40 pm

Have heard more than once some of the finer roads in Florida are in the Ocala area... maybe 70 miles southwest of JAX.
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 6:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyDukes
There is a possibility that I might be relocating to the Jacksonville, FL area in the next month or so. So, my LT riding friends, what are the roads like? Are there any good curvy roads and fun rides in that part of Florida.

The nice mountain roads are one of the many things that I will miss about leaving NC, but one must work to feed the beast.

Any suggestions, recommended roads, advice about the Jacksonville area would be more than appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith
Taking my time moving out of Jax after more than 30 years there. I'm not goin' far, just to Ormond Beach, so I know a little about the area.

Like any city Jax has good & bad roads, & they're always in the process of repairing them somewhere. There are some interesting rides in town, & a lot of places to see within a days ride. One of the good things about Jax is it's convenient location for day rides, weekend rides, or 3 to 4 day runs to the mountains, the Keys, or places in between. Locally, Heckshere Dr. up to Amelia Island is a good ride, as is SR-13 south along the St. Johns river.

A little more info about where you will be working, which side of town you plan to live on, & what kind of things you are interested in riding to will help.

There are a couple of members here that still live in Jax, but I'll let them introduce themselves.

Welcome to the Sunshine State!

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Northeast Florida

Sent you a PM.

Gary
"Life is Short; Live it Well"
'05 K1200LT "Max"
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 4:34 pm

Whether you're moving to Jax or jsut visiting, put on your calendar the first Sun of each month, 9am,Golden Corrall in Mandarin, just so of I10 on FL13, The bmwnef club meets there, Fine bunch of people, a scenic ride after bkfst, the Coolest Rally of the Year hosts, and (altho not brand specific) a large bunch of BMW riders - who RIDE!
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks much to all of you for the information and suggestions. I don't know enough about Jax to know where we would be living, but the job would be in downtown Jax.

We have just started getting on the web to look at homes, locations, etc. So the learning process has just begun. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Keith
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 7:26 pm

First suggestion, since you say the job is downtown, would be to look for housing east of town. Sun's at your back coming & going. There are some nice housing areas at the beach communities, Mandarin, & upper level at Deerwood or Queens Harbour. The last two are gated communities. Older midprice to up scale can be found closer to town in the San Marco area extending out along the river south & east towards Mandarin.

Too bad my place isn't ready for sale yet. 20/30 minute commute to town, brick 3, 2 on a large lot, separate shop, parking for R.V. or boat, etc......... Oh well, maybe one day.
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 4:53 am

get google earth, you can see the whole town from any altitude, 'drive' around neighborhoods, etc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in