Us 17 From N.c. To G.a. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Us 17 From N.c. To G.a.

Hey Guys:
Anyone traveled US17 from N.C. border to Charleston and on to savanna? We are contemplating a trip and it seems someone mentioned something bad about 17.
Thanks
Mike (once based out of Charleston) Burke
Coastal N.C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 3:34 pm

I live between 17 Bus and 17 Bypass in Myrtle Beach. 17 from the NC border to Savannah is a flower sniffing journey, it will take a loooooooooong time. It goes through every town on the coast and very few "bypasses", in Myrtle Beach its called the Impasse. You probably travel through at least 50 stop lights in Charleston. If flower sniffing is your thing and you want to check out the towns, I guess it could be fun. If you want to get to Savannah go to Conway and take 378 to I95 south.

YMMV

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 5:47 pm

I have done 17 all the way down the coast, small towns, lights and interesting people, I liked it. Took it north from Daytona to Savanah last March and decieded I needed to make sometime >>> popped over to I95, it's only minutes most of the time to get over to I95. Get tired of the slab, go back.

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 6:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhargrave
I have done 17 all the way down the coast, small towns, lights and interesting people, I liked it. Took it north from Daytona to Savanah last March and decieded I needed to make sometime >>> popped over to I95, it's only minutes most of the time to get over to I95. Get tired of the slab, go back.
I have done the same, would rather do 17 south of Savannah than north of Savannah. 17 in Georgia is really pretty interesting.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Us 17 From N.c. To G.a.

I used to be based out of Charleston and Isle of Palms, made the trip north quite a few times by auto but that was just after Hugo and figure things had changed quite a bit by now. used to enjoy the trip but sounds like everwhere else, too many people moving down or half the way back from Fla..
thanks for the info I'll think we will go I 95 down and come back part of the way by 17.
Thanks again
Mike Burke
2000LTS
Coastal N.C.
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:16 pm

agree with Jeff- 17 is pretty boaring till you get South of Savannah. Charleston to Savannah isn't too bad, just be carefull of the 50 mph speed limit- they enforce it!!! Cops like to be at the end of the passing zones.

I'd rather get on I-95 and play with the traffic. At least that will keep you awake and you can cruise at 80 mph.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 10:43 am

My favorite leg was also from Daytona to Savanah
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 9:46 pm

17 through Savannah is a nightmare during the week, usually a wreck-a-day on it somewhere. I swear no one in Savannah knows how to drive.
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 9:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

Mike,
The Hwy 17 ride between north of Myrtle to north of Charleston can be very pleasant if you get on hwy 90 to Conway. You will get to north of Charleston on 41. Get your SC map out and check out the route you want to take. It is just country and several small towns. You by-pass all the stuff we dislike on a bike. A nice two lane ride. Try it, you'll like it!

I know where Cover City is!!!

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in