fun ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 7:53 am Thread Starter

fun ride

Took a ride across Brushy Mountain Road in Wilkes NC yesterday. Slugbug met up with me in Statesville after the MSF class I coached and we struck out on a cool gray afternoon. I was looking forward to getting some serious practice on some twisties on the LT. Was worried about fog, but turned out okay. I must admit I am still pretty unsure on the LT. I knew as we were riding thru there that I was leaving a LOT "on the table" so to speak. This is first time I have been on a nice twisty DRY (mostly) road since my crash.

Apologies to Slugbug for the pace. But at least we got to ride it and he can go back and ride his pace or I'll let him lead next time. I had a good time all in all and we did get thru safely, if not quickly.....

Rando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 9:14 am

Hey Rando,

No apologies necessary for the pace!! It was a good pace for me especially for a twisty road that I've never been on. I enjoyed the ride and thanks for introducing me to the new (to me) route.

I enjoyed riding yesterday and we'll have to do it again soon. I didn't quite make it home last night without getting wet. As I was on Hwy 66 going through Walkertown, it started raining. Although I got wet it didn't dampen the fun I had on the ride.

Later,
Brian
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 9:28 am Thread Starter

As threatening as the weather was, you got awful close without getting wet.

I looked on GoogleEarth and BRushy Mountain Road is in the area of N36deg06'12.92" W 81 deg 07'42.56" if you can find it on GPS with that. Also listed as NC1001, Brushy Mounatian Road, Oakwoods Rd. I was looking, there are more roads over in that area to be explored. I gotta get a GPS...

Rando

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:20 am

yea, i was looking online at that area as well and I found all the roads we were on plus many, many more interesting roads. Some reason my NC atlas didn't list Brushy Mountain Rd, it did list Sulphur Springs, Oakwoods Rd. Oh well I've highlighted it and hope to check out the area again soon.

Going to try and study the GPS manual tonight and learn how to retrace where I've been.

Brian
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:24 am Thread Starter

I have found it in the Gazeteer - that's the one you have isn't it? I think it's listed by road number in there, plus the Gazeteer has all the little dirt roads and everything, it's hard to find and trace. Work backwards from Oakwoods, maybe?

Which GPS are you using, anyway? Always looking for real world use.\

Hey, you;re on vacation - shouldn't you be ouyt riding?????

Rando
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 3:40 pm

Unhappy

yea I'm using the Gazetteer. I found all the roads we were on except Brushy Mountain Rd. My atlas is listing it as Oakwoods....go figure

GPS_I'm using the Garmin StreetPilot 2720 Not the latest and greatest but I'm pleased with it.

You are exactly correct! I should be out riding but I've been putting off some things that need to be done around the house soooooooo that is taking priority. Hopefully I'll be done by with ny honey dos by midweek and then I can get some riding in.

Well, brake time is over. Back at it.
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 7:05 am Thread Starter

2720 is the one I've been looking at on ebay. I figure since it's not the newest, the prices will be a little more reasonable.

Work back towards sulphur springs and you should be able to locate where we turned onto brushy mountain road, and maybe figure out what it's called there.

Enjoy the week! Cool mornings to work around house, warm evenings to rride, I hope.
Rando

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in