NEW road I found in VA - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:44 am Thread Starter

NEW road I found in VA

You guys might like this road. State Hwy 40 in VA. We picked it up off 220 in Rocky Mount VA and rode it til it ended on VA hwy 8 up abouve Stuart VA. Plenty of diamond S curve signs with 15 - 30 mph speeds on them. FOr miles.

Approx lat 3647'32.07"N. Approx long. 8016'38.09"W from Google Earth.

Unfortunately this was my first ride in rain on the LT and I was scared of the MEtzes from all youguys have said. I took it easy and felt no slipping. (The DRY tar snake the day before is a whole other butt-clencher, though). The good news is how dry we stayed, of course you guys knew this already.

I did get to ride on the range at the college for a few minutes after we got back home to dry asphalt. Got a better feel for leaning the beast and turning. Still at about 24' - 28' uturn. NEed some work on that stuff.

Holiday Inn at Starkey RDF in Roanoke is nice place to stay with rest. and lounge on site and very nice view of mountains. Closest HI to BRP. recommended.

Rando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:48 am

Thanks for the road note.

On the ME880's I keep them aired at 42 / 48 when on the super slab or normal riding. When in the mountains, I lower them to 32 / 36. I had the rear kick out one time on a slick corner with the ME880, but as a point of reference, I was following a VFR all day who had Avons on the bike and he kicked out the rear 3 times that day - kind of gave me confidence in the tires as I had less struggles than he did on that particular road / surface / speed. Obviously I can't possibly keep up with him on dry surfaces and tight corners, but on wet roads the friction coefficient seemed to be better on the LT with ME880s than the VFR with Avons. I understand the friction may be even better with BTs or other tires, but I can't get too worked up about the ME880s. Have confidence in your tires, and if you can't with ME880s then swap them out. My $.02 YMMV.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #3 of 15 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement. Being my first time in tight stuff AND wet, I thought I should take it easy and did. We're home safely and that beats the alternative, even if waw slow and tedious. The protection from the elements was surprisingly good.

I am still not really comofrtable at times on the LT, but it gets better. High speed roads and sweepers are awesome on the bike and once you see the exit, the bike is great - twist and go. I'll get there.

Rando

post #4 of 15 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Hey Rando,

I will second your opinion for HWY 40 in Va! It is a must ride rode. I've ridden it several times. I like to get on it at Stuart and then ride it to Hwy 122 (I think)and go up to Smith Mountain Lake and then back. If you ever want to ride it together sometime give me a shout.

Later,
Brian
post #5 of 15 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Will do. I did get to ride NC 89 from Mount Airy to Danbury on Saturday. I've done it many times in the past. Another "must ride", but much easier than 40 in VA. Or maybe that's just familiarity speaking.

Have you ridden any of these? Squirrel Spur; Orchard Gap, Pipers Gap, all around Mount Airy?

Randy
post #6 of 15 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 4:30 pm

Hey Randy,

Yea, 89 is a nice road to ride on and I agree easier than Hwy 40 in VA, I usually come for the opposite direction headed towards Mt Airy and then turn south on Hwy 66 and ride towards King. Another great road. Very, very curvy road as it winds around Hanging Rock. IMO it is comparative to Deals Gap, just nowhere as long a stretch.

I'm not familar with the names (Squirrel Spur; Orchard Gap, Pipers Gap). I may have been on them just not knowing it.

Later,
Brian
post #7 of 15 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 7:00 pm

Randy, Been on those a couple of times, can't wait to do them again. Let me know when you're out riding and with a little notice, I'll be there. Great roads all of them.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #8 of 15 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:41 pm

And when you get to Stuart keep on going following Rte 8 up to Floyd. Back when I played in a Bluegrass band in those parts we used to travel in a converted school bus and there were two curves that were three point for the bus, so steeply banked we would have to be careful about scraping the back of the bus. I was usually the designated driver, at night on the way home I would make the guys walk to the next turn with a flashlight to warn on coming traffic. Pipers Gap is another great riding area. Been at the beach for twenty some years and still miss those roads.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:19 pm

Thanks folks, I am that area tonight, just off I 81 near Marion VA, headed north up 49, then 220 into PA..... there are some great road here in Virginia for sure...

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #10 of 15 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 5:49 am

Where ya' going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLT
Thanks folks, I am that area tonight, just off I 81 near Marion VA, headed north up 49, then 220 into PA..... there are some great road here in Virginia for sure...

Are you on our bike or the cage?

If you are coming back 81-S on Friday I will be coming back from Johnson City aboout mid-morning.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 15 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 6:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Are you on our bike or the cage?

If you are coming back 81-S on Friday I will be coming back from Johnson City aboout mid-morning.

Hey Brett, I'm on the LT... but will be Sunday or Monday before I back in that area... going to Flight 93 site, several other places in PA, and on Friday to Ground Zero, then head back via BRP and other scenic roads....

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #12 of 15 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 7:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_rider
Randy, Been on those a couple of times, can't wait to do them again. Let me know when you're out riding and with a little notice, I'll be there. Great roads all of them.
Let me know when you're in the area. WE'll find some roads somewhere. They are all so close, I can occasioinally get out and ride with someone for a littel while, like you said, with a little notice. Our weekends are prety full of little league and gymnastics competitions til t-giving though.

Hwy NC66 is a good one also. As is US 58 in VA. 58 gets REAL twisty after independence, headed towards Damascus. Haven't done 8 to Floyd, but 58 between Stuart and Hillsville, I think is a place called Lovers Leap that is pretty twisty too.

So many roads, so little time.

Bama LT: If you got time, let me know - I can give you some roads off the BRP that go down and across and back up to the BRP and are quite twisty. I'm around BRP mile marker 200. Give a shout - maybe do lunch or something if you have time.

Rando
post #13 of 15 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 9:24 am

The north side of I-81 has some great roads because they are in the mountains. Try Rt 16 from Marion, Va Lat 3650'41.77"N Long 8130'3.37"W
up through Hungry Mother State Park, up to Rt42 3658'5.29"N,
8131'49.39"W. Then take Rt 42 East toward Bland, VA 37 6'10.53"N,
81 6'58.08"W. Stay on Rt42 when it connects to Rt100 turn left (North) toward Pearisburg go about 5 miles and take state road 730 (RT 42) right through the town to Eggleston on over to Rt 460. Turn right (east) on Rt 460 go about 3 miles and turn left on state route 783. Follow that to the top of the mountain. There you will find Mountain Lake, Virginia 3721'21.06"N, 8032'14.98"W. Thats where they filmed part of the movie Dirty Dancing. From there come back down the mountain. You have a choice or two to make from here. At the bottom of the mountain you can turn left on Zells Mill Road and then right on Clover Hollow Rd which takes you back toward Rt42. Turn left on Rt 42 and that takes you to New Castle VA then right Rt 311 back to I-81 in Roanoke or at the bottom of the mountain you can continue back to Rt 460 turn left and go East toward Blacksburg and hit I-81. The food is great at the hotel resturant but if you plan on spending the night make reservations in advance, it's a bit on the expensive side for a room.
post #14 of 15 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:17 pm

You've got to be a Hokie to know all those roads

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #15 of 15 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 8:18 pm

Laffs! Nope was born and raised in the area. Worked at Mountain Lake hotel back in the early 60's as a high school kid summer job. Long before Dirty Dancing came along.. back then we called it Rock-en-Roll.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in