Tech Session In North Carolina??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 7:00 am Thread Starter

Question Tech Session In North Carolina???

I need to replace the Slave Cylinder on my '02 LT and drill the 'Weep Hole" while in there. This is my first BMW, and I am learning fast. Been working on bikes for years! I was a service manager at an independent bike shop (about 20 years ago) and have a complete shop in my garage (full size lift included) or could secure a larger garage if needed. I have built custom bikes, engines and all sorts of repairs (albeit, metric stuff).

I was wondering if anyone in this area might like to do a tech session for this procedure??? I could assist and Lord knows I have all the tools and such. Just about two sets of everything. Snap On Galore! How does one go about arranging a tech session? I am 15 miles north of Charlotte, North Carolina and would love to see about organizing one. Any takers or advice?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 7:41 am

Jack you have started it. The next thing is to announce the date and perhaps have directions or a map to the location. Then stand back and watch them roll in. You might want to have a sign up list so you could prepare eats and drinks. I would guess drink would be sweet tea, announce that and you better stand way back, you will draw many just for the sweet tea!

Tech sessions are a blast get much done and meet great people

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 7:47 am

I'd be interested. I posted in the SE region forum about an ERC/tech session and got a littel interest, but not enough to firmly plan anything. I'm pretty busy through the fall with family events and MSF classes, but schedule one and I'll be there if possible.

If there are no takers on a big tech session, I'd be glad to come down and lend whatever assistance I could, if I'm not busy.

I'm up I 77 in Mount Airy.

Rando

post #4 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 8:09 am

Hey Jack,

I regularly have tech sessions at my place and probably don't do a good enough job of advertising. Haven't needed to as we have had plenty of folks at each session just by word of mouth. I too have a pretty busy fall it seems. I have replaced my slave cylinder, once by dealer and once in my shop. I would caution that there is one tool that is unique to this process used to torque the swing arm assembly. Ken Meese had a thread going not long ago about making and selling this tool but I have not heard it for sale yet. David Shealey also made one that I have seen. I have told Ken I would buy one if they are made just so we can have one available here in the south east.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #5 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Anyone Else Interested???

I understand that everything is busy right now. Would anyone be interested in doing one in the first part of October???

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #6 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 9:29 am Thread Starter

SPECIAL TOOL??? David Shealy...Any help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklt
Hey Jack,

I regularly have tech sessions at my place and probably don't do a good enough job of advertising. Haven't needed to as we have had plenty of folks at each session just by word of mouth. I too have a pretty busy fall it seems. I have replaced my slave cylinder, once by dealer and once in my shop. I would caution that there is one tool that is unique to this process used to torque the swing arm assembly. Ken Meese had a thread going not long ago about making and selling this tool but I have not heard it for sale yet. David Shealey also made one that I have seen. I have told Ken I would buy one if they are made just so we can have one available here in the south east.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about the "special tool" mentioned above. Is this the 30mm 6pt. deep well impact socket? It sounds like it has to be modified

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #7 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 9:56 am

I would like to come and watch. Not sure I would be much help. Would be great to meet others in the area. Please keep us posted.

Mitch Tucker
2002 K1200LTC
1989 K100RS (Needing engine replaced)
1994 FXR, S&S 113
post #8 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:07 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Keep The Interest Coming And We'll Schedule!

Sounds like a couple are interested at this point. Is there anyone out there who has performed this service (Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement and/or Weep Hole) who could help lead the session. I have TONS of motorcycle mechanic experience, but have never done this repair. Sure would be nice to have someone who's been there to show the way! Keep the interest coming to this thread and if we get a few guys who are willing, we'll go for it!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #9 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:13 pm

I'm like sk8sslow, probably won't be very helpful but I'd like to watch the procedure and learn as much as I can.
post #10 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 4:14 pm

I'd like to attend, also, but I have no experience of consequence. I know which end of the wrench to hit with the pry bar, though.

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA
post #11 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 5:07 pm

Let me know the dates....I'm willing to learn to wrench !!!
post #12 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Hey ask if Joe, Don, Dave, well looks like it could be anothee STC outside of the Ironhorse.
post #13 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 6:00 pm

I'll be there if it isn't the weekend of Sept 30 or Oct 21 (already doublebooked that weekend). Also, STC is scheduled for the last weekend in Oct, so would suggest avoiding that weekend, or head up there and do the tech session there. There will be many experienced mechanics there. Haven't figured out the whole drill the slave cylinder thing yet, so would like to see that done as well. Happy to help with whatever I know, which is fairly limited, but between Slugbug, Rando, and I we can do an HID install.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #14 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 7:57 pm

Hey Jack,

No slave cylinder experience here either, but will attend any tech session in the region if no other plans on the day of choice.

I was thinking of hosting one , but I'm not able to settle on a date before the middle of November.

Let us know, sounds like you have a good setup.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #15 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 8:29 pm

Talking The Job

Hi Jack,
Jesse here looked at some of your posts about the slave cylinder glad to see its not failed but, a PM thing. I would also like to show up if the timing is right and by the way your LT is a 2001 not a 2002.
I know I know your getting old.
post #16 of 32 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:14 pm

Jack, I'm just around the corner from you in Huntersville. I would certainly jump on a tech session. I would like some help installing an HID if I can get one shipped in by whatever date gets set.

I do most of the fluid changes, but there are lots of other things I'd like to learn to do as well. If we can make this a full blown session, you can count me in.

Keith
post #17 of 32 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 6:04 am Thread Starter

Wow! I Am Getting Old!

Two previous posts, Jesse (the guy who sold me my bike) reminded me that MY OWN BIKE is an 'O1, not an 'O2...Wow...I am getting old

Anyway, sounds like interest is growing, so even though I'll be out of town for two days (and unable to view or post to this thread) KEEP POSTING IF YOU'RE INTERESTED and when I get back I'll contact a few "key players" - actually key mechanics and set a date and we'll do it! Just didn't want everyone to be discouraged if I couldn't answer over the next couple of Days.

Jesse...the bike is AWESOME...thanks again. I suppose to your knowledge, the weep hole has never been drilled???

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #18 of 32 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 8:34 am

I did the HID on my '99 years ago but would also like to know more about the slave cylinder weep hole operation.

Sounds like we need someone who knows the ropes on this...like Jeff in Myrtle Beach...to be at this tech session?

My other experience has been having the tupperware off numerous times to instal the J&M CB, fuel tank off for air & fuel filter changes, Gunny helped me change the shocks and steering dampener, and I also did the canisterectomy operation.

I will be away until October 4 and then plan to ride to Biketoberfest October 19-22.

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #19 of 32 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:41 am

Wink learning chance

set a date,time and a place,I'll try to make it. I'm always looking for a place to ride and learn. Mike

Michael Dale
post #20 of 32 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:47 pm

You wish

Sorry Jack, no work has been done on the slave cylinder or the weep hole. Sounds like this weep hole thing could be very interesting project. Keep everyone updated. Right now I know that the weekend of Sept. 23nd is out. (daughters wedding and with that comes no gas monies)
post #21 of 32 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 3:06 pm

I usually have my schedule full, but would like to attend if I'm open. Keep me posted on a date.....
post #22 of 32 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 4:17 pm

Thumbs up Tech Session

Count me in if the date you pick fits with my schedule. Don't have any imediate repair needs but would like to meet all. I do most of my own work but I'm always looking to learn new things. Sounds like fun.

03 LT Fayetteville NC
post #23 of 32 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Date?

Was this ever scheduled?

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #24 of 32 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Not that I've seen, but I would sure like to see it get organized. I'd be there for sure.

Keith
post #25 of 32 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

Here's The Scoop

OK Guys...here's the scoop (from my end anyway). Before I schedule a session (which I've never done before), I am going to do mine in the next couple of weeks to make absolutely sure I know what I am doing. (One other rider is helping). I will be much more comfortable working on other bikes in a session if I have used mine as a "Guinea Pig" first.

Please understand that I want to do this for a couple of reasons:

#1. Although I am an experienced mechanic...I am new to the BMW world and want to make dead-sure I can do this properly before getting a bunch of people assembled to see me make a fool out of myself.

#2. I could not find anyone who has done it before who was willing to lead the way.

If mine goes okay I will be glad to schedule a session ASAP and we should have two experienced guys ready to help out! So...keep tuned and we'll pull it off - - unless of course I have to shoot my horse first. Not a chance! I'll be posting the results of my sugery in two weeks or so.

P.S. By the way...I'll be replacing the slave cylinder and drilling the weep hole. PRAY HARD!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #26 of 32 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 4:55 pm

Just noticed these instructions on clutch slave weep hole.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14595

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
post #27 of 32 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 5:11 pm

I will come if I get my bike back from an engine change in WI in time.
post #28 of 32 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 3:43 pm

Anyone going to be there who has experience installing an HID? Sure would like to do that during this tech session if Jack doesn't mind that being a part of it.

Keith
post #29 of 32 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 5:40 pm

Keith,

I can give you a hand installing a HID kit sometime if you would like. Tarheel Rider and Rando helped me or I should say they installed mine (low beam) for me about a month ago and it is not really that complicated, just time consuming removing the tupperware.

Brian
post #30 of 32 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 6:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyDukes
Anyone going to be there who has experience installing an HID? Sure would like to do that during this tech session if Jack doesn't mind that being a part of it.

Keith
Keith,

What HID kit did you get? I'll be teaching down in Statesville the weekend of 10/7. We could possibly do your kit on Sat evening, if you'd like. I usually get out around 4 pm or so, could ride down there and help with that. If you can get tupperware off ahead of time, we can put in the light kit and be back together in 3-4 hrs, I think.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to try it.

Rando
post #31 of 32 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:23 pm

Rando,

Thanks very much for the offer. Due to some unforeseen events I haven't gotten an HID yet, but was leaning toward the lower priced one that many members have posted about.

Not sure right now when I'll be able to grab one, but maybe we can work out an install when I do.

Thanks again,
Keith
post #32 of 32 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 8:44 am

Lemme know. Be glad to help if I can get free. We're about to hit a 6 week stretch of gymnastics completitions for my daughter. Weekends will be filled. mostly.

Rando

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in