SC Patriot Guard - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 8:53 am Thread Starter

SC Patriot Guard

Anyone from the Greenville area interested in joining me on this mission ??

Hello Fellow Patriot Guard Riders,

This e-mail is sent to you at the request of the SC State Captain; the proper contact information is listed below. This service is provided at the request of the listed State Captain, I merely forward the information this State Captain or Designate sends me. Please forward any follow up questions to your State Captain or their appointed Designate. To unsubscribe from state e-mails from your state captain, you must please write no-e-mail in the fax number column on your profile page.

Paul “Varaceman” Fischer

Honor Mission for Sergeant John P. Phillips of St Stephen SC United States Marine

Bow your head for a moment. Yes, right now please. We in South Carolina have lost a fine young man.

Sgt John P. Phillips of St Stephen, South Carolina is described by his father as a "Marine's Marine". That tells us a lot. He was admired by his fellow Marines. He was adored by his family. He was a young man who was about duty, honor, country........and his beloved Marine Corps.

On 7 March of this year there was an explosion in the Al Anbar province of Iraq. You didn't hear it. Neither did I. But that explosion terribly wounded our state's son......John Phillips. Sgt Phillips was burned over 77% of his body. Third degree, full thickness burns.

He was taken to the Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) at San Antonio for treatment. He endured much in those treatments. Sgt Phillips wanted to live very badly. He fought hard. And for a time it appeared he would survive. He married his girlfriend in his hospital room in June. Perhaps he wondered if someday he could ride his motorcycle again.

But infection set in and the roller coaster of ups and downs he had been on turned into only downs. He sufferred amputations.........more than one.........as the medical staff at BAMC fought hard to save his life. Finally, he slipped into a coma.

On 16 August, more than five months after that explosion in Iraq, Sgt John P. Phillips of St Stephen, South Carolina lost his battle to live.

His family has been there throughout. They've been on that awful roller coaster and they've been wounded in spirit. This is where we come in.

On Saturday 26 August 2006 the Patriot Guard Riders will assemble in St Stephen, South Carolina. We will come together to honor this young man I never met and yet have come to truly admire. We will ride side by side with one purpose: Honor. Honor for the courage to wear the uniform, honor for the courage to defend our nation, honor for the willingness to give another people a glimpse of freedom, honor for facing his ordeal as a man........as a Marine.

I will post below the particulars of the mission from Sandy Nelson, our Ride Captain for Saturday. I say to each of you..........please be there if you can.

I say to Sergeant John P. Phillips, United States Marine............listen for a rumble. It is not thunder Sergeant. It's America coming to say thank you to a Marine who was Semper Fidelis.

Staging location: Lee’s Citgo Gas Station on Hwy 52 in St. Stephen. Street address: 3792 Byrnes Drive (Mapquest link: http://tinyurl.com/oq3hd).

Arrive ~ 9:30 at least so that you can eat, gas up, and catch up with fellow members before the briefing.

There will be a condolence book in circulation. Please be sure to sign it and include your town/state along with any comforting thoughts/wishes for the Phillips family.

Mission Briefing: 1000 hours sharp

Kickstands up: 1015 hours to travel to Russellville Christian Church

Set up and be ready for when the family arrives for the service at 1100 hours

After the funeral service begins, there will be a special mission for active/retired USMC personnel. Please notify me upon arrival at Lee’s Citgo if you would like to be part of this mini-mission.

After the services, we will join the funeral procession to St. Stephen for interment.

SPECIAL NOTES:

-We will be standing at the visitation at the Dial-Murray Funeral Home in Moncks Corner Friday evening (August 25). If you interested in participating in this, please contact Theresa Raley immediately.

- Weather forecast for Saturday as of today: High of 91 degrees with a 30% chance of rain. Bring water.

-FOUR WHEELERS: If you can, please pack an ice chest with EXTRA WATER to share with your PGR family.

- Bring a Kickstand pad if you're on two wheels

- Bring a friend. Missions like this is what we’re all about.

I look forward to sharing with all of you the honor of paying respects to this war hero and his family. Please continue to keep them in your prayers. We can only imagine the hell they have been through.

Respectfully submitted,

Sandy Nelson

(843) 425-6892

**BRING YOUR FLAGS**BRING YOUR FLAGS**BRING YOUR FLAGS**

Steam

Randy Stevens

Laurens SC

South Carolina State Captain

Patriot Guard Riders

Come see me at my home away from home:

www.kickstandlodge.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 9:58 am

Send to my brother

My Brother Fast Fred is the most connected biker in SC
[email protected]
He is head of SC ABATE, member MRF board, SoLR etc.
Just put Unclerock in your subject line, that way he'll be sure to attend to it first (he gets 400-700 e-mails a day).
Rock
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 1:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Roc

I sent your brother the message. Hope he can make it!

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:59 pm

Patriot Guard

Matt, Thanks for the heads up on the Patriot Guard mission for the young marine who paid the ultimate sacrifice for his country. It was a awesome sight standing with my wife beside our bike and looking down the road at 200 other motorcycles and their mounts as the funeral procession passed, each bike with it's passenger pegs down, veterans saluting, and the rest with hands over hearts. I read a earlier thread that mentions the fact that the riders were mostly a "harley group". Wouldn't it be great if one day someone would say that it was mostly a "beemer group" showing their respects for a fallen comrad. Just a thought...........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in