maintenance party/ERC idea nc/sc/va, etc - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:44 am Thread Starter

maintenance party/ERC idea nc/sc/va, etc

Have noticed the maintenance/tech session idea floating around. Not sure if there would be any interest, but anyone like to try to put together a tech session in the Southeast, more specifically, NC/VA? I'm in Mount Airy, NC, right up by the VA line right before the mountains. Nice area to ride. I don;t have a real place to work, but would like to go.

Another part of my idea is would anyone like to make an MSF Experienced Rider Course part of the tech session? I can instruct that, and possible find another BMW rider (former LTer, now she has an R-GS) to help coach. THEN I could possibly get use of the college garage at our site for use.

This is just a sketchy idea right now, so please add your ideas and let's see what we come up with. I just got my LT last weekend, hasn't had it's 6k service, and I would love to learn more about it from those of you with more experience.

Jump in with ideas.

Rando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Sounds good. Depends on the day and date. If it's a Saturday I will try and make it. Pick a date and I'll see how it looks on my schedule (or rather my wife's schedule! ).

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

Saturdays only?

Have to see as more folks ring in on what they might like to do.

Rando

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 1:07 pm

Yep, pick a date and post it and with enough advance notice, most will put it on the calendar if they're interested and make it. I think adding in an ERC is a terrific idea. Every weekend I think about going out to the course and practice the slow speed maneuvers and still haven't done it. Having it as a destination would make it easier. But as others will warn you, I can cast a shadow of dumbness over any mechanical task and mechanic that can result in many hours to do the most simple of tasks. Just don't pick the last weekend in August as many of us will be at CCR. Oh yes, almost forgot, Saturdays are really the only option for me.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

what about a SPRING date, as folks are getting back into the riding season? I know that would be NEXT year, but.....

I'll have to see if there are any range dates available anyway. SOmetimes hard to get. Then we have to officially register with the college to get range time and all. Or find a sponsor to pick up the tab.

There is a lot to getting it together, but not impossible. Who brings tools and what about lifts and such? I have basic tools, but no lift. Have to see if any of my buddies have one.

rando
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 2:48 pm

Heck, here in SC the difference between summer, winter and spring is 2 weeks of bad riding!

How about the week before Thanksgiving? I can try and live with a Sunday if most other members prefer that. Would really like to meet some other riders, and even try my hand at the MSF Experienced Rider Course (maybe to discover I should have been dead long ago.. )

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

Unfortunately, that is our LAST BRC date for the beginners. So the range isn't available, nor are the two BMW ridercoaches. Dangit. This is why it's so tough to put these things together, doggone it. Getting a bunch together for a day is nigh on impossible. Personally, I have about everyweekend between now and october free, but then getting the range time and getting everyone together is a big time hard thing to do.

WE'll keep trying. Let me email and see if there are any range dates open this year. I think they are big into police training down there right now.

Rando
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 5:30 pm

Tech session

Sounds good, most likely I would attend if on a Saturday! Hope this can happen! I've been putting off installing a HID light for fear of not knowing how to install, maybe someone could help at a tech session plus would love to learn a lot more about servicing and maintaining the LT.

Brian
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 5:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbug
Sounds good, most likely I would attend if on a Saturday! Hope this can happen! I've been putting off installing a HID light for fear of not knowing how to install, maybe someone could help at a tech session plus would love to learn a lot more about servicing and maintaining the LT.

Brian
Brian, HID is something we can do before Spring - so let me know if you want to schedule something. I can only pass along what I know, and unlike Joe (ms13), I won't attempt it without pulling off the nose cone, and unlike on my own bike, we'll start by replacing the low beam bulb which cost me at least 4 hours of downtime on my first attempt. It really isn't that difficult, but doing it with someone who has done it before can really help.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:01 pm

Rando, there are dates available in the extreme northeast corner of TN, in Kingsport. All that needs be done is to schedule it.

I would question, however, trying to do an ERC and a Tech session in the same day. The new ERC's I've done tend to run from 7:30-8:00 AM until 2:00 ot 3:00. Even if they only run till noon, trying to accomplish anything in the way of service, more than an oil change, would be difficult, IMNSHO.

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:35 pm Thread Starter

I am the lead instructor at our site, so it's easier for me to schedule. As for the complications, yes, I figure it would be tough. But not impossible, if we have enough interest. We do a "riding only" class and that can be run in less time, if everyone wants to get thru it quickly. Practice the parts we want, and move on. It's just an idea to see what kind of feedback I get. And I appreciate yours. Not knowing how hard it is to take an LTs clothes off, I may be way off, or we could have some show up for maintenance only. I dunno. Just thinking and seeing what's of interest.

Thanks
Rando
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:39 pm

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the offer to help! That would be great. Yea, having someone around that has done it before would be nice plus eliminate the mistakes that I would be sure to make if tackling it alone.

Brian
post #13 of 16 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

If you guys get together for that, I might be up for trying it myself, or at least watching it for later use.

rando
post #14 of 16 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:09 pm

Ok sounds good! I'm going to order the light kit and then schedule a day with Joel for his help with installing it. Hopefully I'll have the light kit sometime next week.

Brian
post #15 of 16 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Here are the dates that are available for an ERC
>
> Sat Sept 9th (Although they will be doing a Live Burn in the burn building) {our range is also home to emergency services training, which means this day will have a lot of firemen around, doing firemen things in the burn building - sometimes good entertainment}
>
> Sat Oct 7 & Sun Oct 8 >
> Sun Oct 15, 22, & 29

The weekend of Oct 15 is also the Autmn leaves festival http://www.visitmayberry.com/details...sCategoryID=88 in mount Airy, which is a street festival with vendors and live bluegrass music downtown. A big car show at a local park (usually 400- 500 cars), and entertainment at the local mall. Might be a good destination if you;re just looking for something to do anyway.

Not sure about doing maintenance and ERC, as others have mentioned. We could do a weekender, with ERC one day and maintenance the next. How big a garage does it usually take for a tech session?

Whaddayou guys think? Any interest in any of thses dates?
Rando

Last edited by rando; Aug 18th, 2006 at 9:55 am. Reason: added link
post #16 of 16 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 3:52 pm

I can do any of those except the 22nd - already double booked that day.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in