Looking for a good service shop - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Looking for a good service shop

I'm located in NW Alabama (2 hours to B'ham, 3 hours to Nashville and Memphis). I posted this on the K1200LT forum also, and almost everyone has recommended Bloodworth's shop, but it is a long haul (pun intended--yes I'll be hauling my K1200LT in for a clutch job and then picking it up later). Just wondering if there are any independent shops/mechanics in the area that are qualified to do a clutch replacement. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 2:21 am

Jamie,

Could be. Up until the early nineties, there was a BMW dealer and shop in Shelbyville, TN, Reese Motors, who had a parting of the ways with BMW at some point and eventually went out of business. They had a BMW technician who worked there by the name of Scotty something, and rumor has it he and another guy were going to open up a MC repair shop in Shelbyville, but I don't know the status of that. I do know that Scotty was well versed mechanically in the K engine and drive train at the time, which in principle design hasn't changed all that much. The modern electronics on it are another story, but that's not what you're concerned about at this point anyway. Send a PM to Bob Jernigan (username 'jern') and ask him if he knows if Scotty ever got underway with the repair shop venture, as he is the source I heard it from in the first place. Good luck.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Mr Jernigan was a great help.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 4:13 pm

Jamie,

I just had a clutch repaired at BMW of Atlanta. They did a great job. Can you tell me a little more about your clutch problem?

Mine went out at 48K mi and started slipping around 46K. In the last 500 miles it went down hill pretty fast, almost couldn't make it to the dealership. I've heard that this clutch should last for 100K miles if not abused. But it seems like a great many die before that time. Can't believe we're all just tearing up clutches.
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
Jamie,

I just had a clutch repaired at BMW of Atlanta. They did a great job. Can you tell me a little more about your clutch problem?

Mine went out at 48K mi and started slipping around 46K. In the last 500 miles it went down hill pretty fast, almost couldn't make it to the dealership. I've heard that this clutch should last for 100K miles if not abused. But it seems like a great many die before that time. Can't believe we're all just tearing up clutches.

Thanks for the info. My story is posted here: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11208

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in