MotoGP in Austin, TX - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Feb 13th, 2014, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

MotoGP in Austin, TX

Hey Y'all, I'm planning to attend my first MotoGP since 1998 when I was living in Australia. This is at the Circuit of the Americas near Austin, TX, in April.

A couple questions if there are any Austin residents on the forum:

1. Is there a shuttle service from downtown area to the track?

2. If not, I have heard that you must buy parking passes in advance? Can anyone confirm this? I THINK I understood this to be true from the CoTA website, but to me that is virtually unheard of at a race and does not make sense, especially given you can buy a pass at the circuit for the day. And if there is no shuttle from Austin, how are you gonna get there to buy a pass for the day if you can't park without a previously obtained pass?

So, hopefully somebody local that may have gone last year can help straighten this out.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Feb 13th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Re: MotoGP in Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Mer View Post
Hey Y'all, I'm planning to attend my first MotoGP since 1998 when I was living in Australia. This is at the Circuit of the Americas near Austin, TX, in April.

A couple questions if there are any Austin residents on the forum:

1. Is there a shuttle service from downtown area to the track?

2. If not, I have heard that you must buy parking passes in advance? Can anyone confirm this? I THINK I understood this to be true from the CoTA website, but to me that is virtually unheard of at a race and does not make sense, especially given you can buy a pass at the circuit for the day. And if there is no shuttle from Austin, how are you gonna get there to buy a pass for the day if you can't park without a previously obtained pass?

So, hopefully somebody local that may have gone last year can help straighten this out.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Jim, I'm local and attended last year along with other race events. Yes, there are several remote lots with shuttles to and from the track for something nominal -- $5-10 as I recall. Some from downtown, some from out closer to the track.

Onsite parking (even though they have a whole lot of it) usually sells out before the race dates -- so you can buy parking in advance or you can roll the dice on race day. Friday and Saturday may be more available that Sunday finals day. A third parking option is that every person who owns a lot or some property along the roads approaching the track offers parking on their property for varying fees -- some of these folks also offer their own private shuttle/rides to the entry gate area or you can walk in from there.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have as you plan your trip. Here or private ping variety. Welcome to Austin!

EXCELSIOR !!!

----- Barrett
Free at last!

Austin & Crystal Beach TX, Drummond, WI

CCRs - Hot Springs '01, Santa Fe '02, Breckenridge '04, Jackson '05, Braselton '06, Osage Beach '07, Midway '08, Black Hills '09, Killington '10, Boise '11, Duluth '12, Bend '13, Chattanooga in '14, and Coeur d'Alene in 2015.
post #3 of 3 Old Feb 14th, 2014, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Re: MotoGP in Austin, TX

Thanks IcePick. I'm glad to hear there are shuttles, that makes sense for a event of this magnitude and stature. It also eliminates the need for a parking pass!

I've been to Austin once a number of years ago, and thought it was a pretty cool place, and am looking forward to visiting again.

As it gets closer I may PM you to get advice on local music venues, etc.

Thanks again for the response.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in