Possibly Returning to the light - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jan 25th, 2014, 7:14 pm Thread Starter

Possibly Returning to the light

Hey All,

I know it has been a long time. Moose and I have been doing well and hope all of you are doing great. We are considering returning to the light and buying a K1600GTL and I wanted everyone's opinion.

Given it has been on the market for a few years I wanted to know about the dependability and overall performance. How difficult is the servicing and how much can be performed on you own? I might be purchasing a 2013 and wanted to know if there are any issues I need to be concerned about.

Any insight would be helpful in making our decision.

Rocky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jan 25th, 2014, 7:29 pm

Re: Possibly Returning to the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Hey All,

I know it has been a long time. Moose and I have been doing well and hope all of you are doing great. We are considering returning to the light and buying a K1600GTL and I wanted everyone's opinion.

Given it has been on the market for a few years I wanted to know about the dependability and overall performance. How difficult is the servicing and how much can be performed on you own? I might be purchasing a 2013 and wanted to know if there are any issues I need to be concerned about.

Any insight would be helpful in making our decision.

Rocky
Hey, hey, Rock. Welcome back. Long time out for you and Aleisha. Drop over to Boerne sometime and share a coffee - got a new java joint to show ya.

Yep - lots of folks have favored the new 1600s after getting rid of their LTs and other models. Several up in Austin (Steve Shreeve, Jim Emmons to name a couple). You got a lot of reading to do here on the forums, and Shreeve can point you to a 1600 forum that he hangs out on. Just stay tuned.

Best to ya, Rocky. Hope to see you on the new scoot soon. Aleisha too.
post #3 of 17 Old Jan 26th, 2014, 7:46 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Welcome back (Almost) to the fold Rocky. The K1600GTL/GT is a fantastic bike. I've had mine since June 2011 & have 30,000 miles on it. The early ones had a few growing pains as most new models do but that has all been worked out. Normal maintenance is very easy on these bikes. Oil change with FD oil change takes me about 45 minutes. The first valve check is at 18K & is more involved to do then the LT so I let Lone Star do mine & they told me not to worry about another check till at least 50K. For the valve check & a brake fluid flush I paid $335.00. It was worth every penny. There are several folks with 50K, 60k & even more miles on these bikes with little to no problems. There are a few thing that need to be changed on the K1600 for comfort.

Here is mine & Sammies take on making the GTL as comfortable as the LT was. I was 90% fine with the stock set up but Sammie only 60% fine.

First I tried the Cal-Sci 2 inch taller screen. Made no difference to me but helped Sammie cut some buffeting so maybe 10% better.

Next I added AeroFlow Aero Wings. Brought me up to 95% happy. Sammie was 10% more Happy. No more wind on the hands & lower arms for me. Less buffeting for her.

Next changed the Cal-Sci to the AeroFlow Tall (2 inch taller then stock) windscreen made for the GTL. They also make a GT one. I'm still at 95% (needs a seat) & Sammie is another 10%. That leaves Sammie content with 90% happy & we can live with that.

Now for my only real problem the Seat. I have the GTL high seat but it is still to low for me so I sent it off to Rocky at Bill Mayer Saddles. They raise me another 3/4 inch plus made the seat wider for me. They make the pillion seat about 1/2 inch lower plus much softer the it was. This was all we both need to bring both of use up to 100% happy with this bike. I can ride for hours with little to no pain & Sammie is now tucked in behind me like she was on the LT & get no buffeting under "Normal" conditions.

Cost of all this is....
Aeroflow Windshield $280.00
Aeroflow Aerowings $160.00 I got smoked, but clear are less plus they are less if bought with windshield.
BMS seat $650.00

For about $1100.00 we now have the best bike we have ever had.

K1600FORUM for all things K1600.

Here is Elle all pulled apart for the valve check.

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Jan 26th, 2014 at 7:52 am.

post #4 of 17 Old Jan 26th, 2014, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

I have been riding a Harley Road Glide so we have become accustomed to alot of buffeting already and so I do not think the stock setup will be an issue for either of us.

You have pretty much confirmed all my assumptions already. I am looking at a used 2013 which has quite a few upgrades on it already. it has Wunderlich crash bars front and rear already. top case rack, additional led lights on rear. It has 8000 miles on it and looks flawless. I was impressed I can sit flat footed which at my age and condition is just fine. It has been BMW serviced but with only 8000 miles could not have been much. It has the GPS which I was not sure if it was stock or not and also has a CB installed as well.

All that is left is to see if I can get the financing worked out. My wife is probably getting sick of me talking about it so I guess I will just have to get off the pot.....LOL.

I will look at the 1600 site and see anymore info to make my decision. Hopefully, this will all be done by next weekend.

Rocky
post #5 of 17 Old Jan 26th, 2014, 10:24 pm

Rocky, good to see you again. You will NOT be disappointed with the K1600 GTL. GET A RADAR DETECTOR!

I let Katnapinn (My "Brother from another Mother", Steve) do the research, and I have my bike set up exactly as he did (except seat). My Pillion is happy, and it seems that the wind protection when set up like this is better than the LT was. We are going to get a seat; may try the Corbin - they have a ride in program that another friend swears by. They're close to me.

I've had the bike 2 weeks. Spent about $4,000 +/- on additional farkles.

I have added these farkles:
Aerofllow Tall Windshield
Areoflow Wings
Engine Guards (BMW)
Highway Pegs (Ilium Works)
Passenger Floorboards.
Suburban Peg Lowering Kit (Driver)
BMR Shelf (to hold radar detector - a must have, and GRMS Radio)
"RL's" Oil Cooler Screen (check out k1600forum.com)
Trunk Rack (Wunderlich). Mama likes to carry a lot of stuff.
Fenda Extenda
Grip Puppies
PIAA 500 Hz Horn (Stock Horn sucks)
NAV V
BMW Bluetooth Communicator (Already had Schuberth Helmets)

We LOVED our LT. My wife cried when we left him at the dealership. But the GTL is the most kick a$$ touring bike you could imagine! 100 lbs lighter, and 160 horses! Carries just as much cargo. You'll look like a fool with the sh** eating grin you'll have on your face if you get one. You really have to be mindful of speed. I passed a string of 4 cars yesterday, and hit 120 mph before I knew it (not kidding - literally went from 55 mph to 120 in 5-6 seconds).

The only downside to DIY Maintenance (which I've always done, and will continue to do) is that the dealer currently must reset the "Maintenance Reminder Light". GS-911 says that they will have a K1600 unit "soon", so this will be remedied - I hope.

And Rocky - I talked about getting a GTL for TWO YEARS until I finally bit. You'll be glad you did.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 17 Old Jan 28th, 2014, 11:23 am

Good to hear from you, [I]hope to see you again.

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #7 of 17 Old Mar 24th, 2014, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

Well, it looks like we are taking the plunge this week and buying the K1600 GTL. Used buy in our price range so I will be seeking help on basic maintanence. Thanks for all the advice.
post #8 of 17 Old Mar 24th, 2014, 7:21 pm

Congrats, Rock - from all that I hear, you folks are gonna enjoy a wonderful ride starting this week!!!! That Shreeve guy up in Austin is gonna be a great go-to source for service. Might even get him to do a tech session or so. And while i'm thinkin' bout it, nowz a good time to update your profile. It mentions the Nomad and the LT - don't think it mentions the GW, nor the GTL yet. Best always, Rocky.
post #9 of 17 Old Mar 24th, 2014, 7:57 pm

Rocky,

Welcome back! Wish you much joy with the new to you scoot.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #10 of 17 Old Mar 24th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Congrats Rocky Let me know if I can help in any way. After 3 years I know the K1600 pretty well.

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 17 Old Mar 25th, 2014, 8:33 am Thread Starter

I will. I am buying a 2012 but only has 5800 miles so already broken in but will need the oil change before long. Probably the only major will be performed by LoneStar at 25000 miles.

My wife is very excited since the Harley is so loud and the K1600 GTL has all the comforts of home....LOL
post #12 of 17 Old Apr 14th, 2014, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

Hey Steve, The K1600 is all that you said it was. It is awesome. Just have to get used to how responsive it is!! Only had it a week and have put 350 miles on it. definitely will need some highway pegs!!
post #13 of 17 Old Apr 15th, 2014, 7:51 am

Rocky it gets better every time you get on the bike. I'm a little over 32,000 miles now & I still grin every time I ride.

Stevie Shreeve
post #14 of 17 Old May 9th, 2014, 11:52 am Thread Starter

Steve,

You are right but as I ride it more I am finding things I want to add and some problems. I am experiencing an intermittent problem when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Every so often, when shifting, it seems to pop back into neutral so I am having to ensure it engages.

I find the need to stretch out some since I am not as young as I used to be.....LOL. I guess I will have to invest in the engine guard and foot pegs. They are quite pricey so I will have to wait a bit, unless I can find a decent used set.

It looks like it will need a rear tire soon. So I am trying to decide whether to just put the stock rear tire or do a complete change out to a different tire. I was looking at some Avons hoping to get a few more miles out of a set than the Bridgestones.

Rocky
post #15 of 17 Old May 9th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Steve,
..experiencing an intermittent problem when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Every so often, when shifting, it seems to pop back into neutral so I am having to ensure it engages.

I find the need to stretch out some since I am not as young as I used to be.....LOL. I guess I will have to invest in the engine guard and foot pegs. They are quite pricey so I will have to wait a bit, unless I can find a decent used set.

Rocky
Rocky,
1-avoid doing a "Lazy Shift" from 1st to 2nd. Hit it with authority.
2-YOU MUST GET crash bars ASAP as a standing lay-down can cause very expensive damage! I have the BMW branded bars & Iliumworks sells a nice set.
3-ride in the 'rain' mode for a bit until you get used to its power.

The k1600 forum always has folks selling the BMW branded bars and the aftermarket bars.

http://www.iliumworks.com/K_1600_GTL.cfm has the pegs many of us use.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #16 of 17 Old May 9th, 2014, 1:07 pm

I agree with Joe on the engine bars. There have been a few people that have had a standing drops that caused thousands of dollars damage. Get the bars now then add the pegs when you can.
As for tires most like the Michelin PR3 or PR4. The stock Metzler can go from looking good to cords showing in less the 100 miles.

Stevie Shreeve
post #17 of 17 Old May 11th, 2014, 4:49 pm Thread Starter

Yea, I have been checking out the other site hoping to find a set. I may just bite the bullet and buy them. I do not understand why they are not stock, it has just about everything else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in