Goodbye New Orleans - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Oct 13th, 2013, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Goodbye New Orleans

My time in New Orleans is coming to an end a few months earlier than expected. At work on Friday we had an all-hands meeting where it was announced that due to budget constraints (continued fallout from sequestration, not the current "shutdown" fiasco) the primary contractor was doing a permanent reduction in force, resulting in many IT contractors being let go. This includes me, and my last day on the project is 10/25. So, for the next 2 weeks I will be clearing out my apartment and selling the furniture, etc., I brought with me or purchased when I set up shop here, and I anticipate rolling out of New Orleans on 10/26 or 10/27.

There is a silver lining. I had been looking to move to a new project closer to home when this one was done, and I've had a couple of interviews. Shortly after I received the official notice that I was being RIFd I received an offer from another project team near Louisville, KY. It's with the same IT services firm I'm working for now and it's 4 1/2 hours from home; this means I'll be home every Friday night, for the weekend. The only issues with the new job are that it's also a government contract and there are several hoops that project management has to jump through to create a new position. That could take a few days or a few weeks, but either way if it unfolds as expected I'll be in good shape. Please remember the people who won't step into their next job so quickly; there are a couple guys on my part of the project team for whom this is a serious setback.

I want to say a big "thank you" to all of you fine folks in the South Central forum who included me in your festivities, especially to Barrett Allison for putting me in touch with his friends who provided apartment-finding advice and a place to store my trailer while I was here; Steve and Sammie Shreeve, for hosting me at their place a couple of times when I rode over to Texas for RTEs; Dan Martin, for replacing a bad rear tire and putting me up for the night; and Floyd Gilless, for showing me around, lunch and dinner invitations, and for introducing me to his Bible study group. Dan, we can talk about what to do with that new front tire you are storing for me.

I enjoyed my time here and it was really nice to meet many of the people whom I have only talked with on this site. I still want to go back to Round Top and explore the area; it's the kind of place my wife and I enjoy visiting.

Best wishes to all of you. I'm sure I'll see some of you again at an STC, SMFR, and maybe a future CCR.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Oct 13th, 2013, 12:08 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Goodbye New Orleans

Howard Sammie & I are glad to be able to get to know you a little better of the last few months. We hope everything with the new jobs falls into place. If you and your MUCH better half ever need a place to stay, a bike to ride or keep yours for a few days you know Casa Shreeve is always open. Hope to see ya down the road soon my friend.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 21 Old Oct 13th, 2013, 12:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Howard, it was a real pleasure being able to help you out.
I have a sister visiting here from Chagrin Falls and driving back in 2 weeks.
Maybe she could bring your tire there?

Martin house is always open.

post #4 of 21 Old Oct 13th, 2013, 4:01 pm

Likewise, glad to see/help you when we could. See you on down the road.

EXCELSIOR !!!

----- Barrett
Free at last!

Austin & Crystal Beach TX, Drummond, WI

CCRs - Hot Springs '01, Santa Fe '02, Breckenridge '04, Jackson '05, Braselton '06, Osage Beach '07, Midway '08, Black Hills '09, Killington '10, Boise '11, Duluth '12, Bend '13, Chattanooga in '14, and Coeur d'Alene in 2015.
post #5 of 21 Old Oct 13th, 2013, 4:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin

Martin house is always open.
Dan, your sister could drop the tire off (or I could meet her somewhere a bit more convenient), or you could put the tire into your inventory and sell it to someone who needs it. Whatever is easiest for you and/or your sister. I was having service done on the bike at BMW Baton Rouge yesterday and said "what the heck..." and had them replace that front tire. It had a tiny bit of life left but I was there, they had the time, etc.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #6 of 21 Old Oct 13th, 2013, 6:02 pm

I'm sure our roads will cross again. Take care.

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #7 of 21 Old Oct 13th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Good news, bad news.....All happens for a reason though Now, we've screwed around and messed up a New Orleans RTE opportunity...LOL. We have enjoyed having you here and I'm sure we'll see you down the road sometime

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #8 of 21 Old Oct 13th, 2013, 10:20 pm

No, Howard, you may not leave yet. We have not met in person yet. Tell your family and your new job that you still have unfinished business here.

Glad that you have a new gig lined up already; what a blessing that is.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #9 of 21 Old Oct 14th, 2013, 9:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

It was good to meet you, Howard. I trust the transition will be smooth. Vaya con Dios!

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #10 of 21 Old Oct 14th, 2013, 11:33 am

Howard, last December (as you may recall), it took me all of 9 days to find a new job. Welp, about a month ago I went looking again. I'm now the Director of Technology for Skylight Financial Group in downtown Cleveland. Took me even less time to find this job. IT is a great field to be in ... from what I've experienced. I still have recruiters knocking down my door ... they won't go away!

Best of luck to you, in whatever the future holds. For you, and for your fellow co-workers. It'll be fine. Hope to see you nest year at STC. Take care.

- Joe
post #11 of 21 Old Oct 14th, 2013, 11:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
Tell her a neighbor says "Hello.".

- Joe
post #12 of 21 Old Oct 14th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Howard,

We will certainly miss you but keep in touch on the forum. Heck we have Wolfgang half way across the world and we still keep up with him until he returns. So glad that all worked out with your job and I know your wife will be thrilled to have you home on the week-ends. When time allows take a long week-end and ride to meet us.

All the best to you!

PiePrincess a/k/a Gina

Garland, Texas
Prior Harley Roadking passenger (Sold 2010)

2005 Harley Ultra Crash Tester
(Sold 2015)
2014 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic CVO passenger
post #13 of 21 Old Oct 14th, 2013, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Howard, last December (as you may recall), it took me all of 9 days to find a new job. Welp, about a month ago I went looking again. I'm now the Director of Technology for Skylight Financial Group in downtown Cleveland. Took me even less time to find this job. IT is a great field to be in ... from what I've experienced. I still have recruiters knocking down my door ... they won't go away!

Best of luck to you, in whatever the future holds. For you, and for your fellow co-workers. It'll be fine. Hope to see you nest year at STC. Take care.
Thanks, Joe.

I was hoping to go to SMFR this weekend but that's out of the picture because I'm busy selling (trying to sell) furniture I have here, along with other tasks related to the job change and moving. I don't want to haul this stuff back to Ohio.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #14 of 21 Old Oct 15th, 2013, 11:27 pm

Howard, interesting that we just connected and now you are leaving. I enjoyed the time we had together, and I doubt it is completely over. I need to add Ohio to my bike paths!
We have eight guys going to Hot Springs, so you may get a few contacts to help move furniture yet.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #15 of 21 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Glad to here your getting closer to home Howard, being away sucks! did that earlier in my life.

I'm sure Lisa will be happy!

Glen and Carol
post #16 of 21 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
..... We have eight guys going to Hot Springs, so you may get a few contacts to help move furniture yet.
That would be appreciated. If there are any pieces of furniture left by the end of next week, 2 or 3 guys would knock it out quickly. Thank you.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #17 of 21 Old Oct 31st, 2013, 9:01 am Thread Starter

Update:

Last Friday, 10/25, was my last day as expected. On Saturday I finished final packing, loaded up the truck, put the LT and more boxes on the trailer behind it, cleaned the apartment, then headed north for Ohio.

I was driving a pickup truck loaded to the brim with boxes, plastic totes and clothes, and pulling a trailer with the LT and other boxes. The truck's fuel economy is poor to begin with and when you add highway speeds and all this stuff it was even worse. Now... there is a very long stretch of interstate south of Meridian, MS where there aren't many exits, and the few that are there don't have gas stations. The low-fuel idiot light came on, and I started sweating bullets as I watched the gauge drop. Can you see where this is going? Yeh, I ran out of gas about a mile south of Meridian - within sight of a gas station. Walking to get gas was not an option because the truck died on the approach to a bridge with no shoulder. I pulled over just before the bridge, where was a shoulder to park on and called AAA; they brought some gas to me and were nice enough not to laugh. Anyway, after an hour delay of game I was back on the road. Fortunately, that was the only "excitement" on the trip home.

A few hours later I stopped for the night and then finished the trip home Sunday afternoon. My wife and I unpacked everything into the barn, where it sits awaiting dispersal into the house or moving to another apartment, depending on the outcome of the next gig.

Here's the front half of the "convoy". You can't see it, but the truck cab was loaded to the brim.

Here's the classy LT on a plain-Jane trailer with junk in boxes. Not the best way to transport these wonderful machines but it worked just fine.

All's well that ends well. I am back home for at least this week and maybe a few days next week. This gives me time to start the annual leaf clean-up and other some other outdoor chores that have been waiting for me.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Oct 31st, 2013 at 9:07 am.
post #18 of 21 Old Oct 31st, 2013, 10:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Glad you had a safe trip, Howard. Hope to see you again one of these days.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #19 of 21 Old Oct 31st, 2013, 1:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Howard,
Good luck in securing that new position closer to home.
My organization is in the private sector and we have had major reduction in personnel over the past few months.

The gov guys keep saying we are in a recovery. Tell that to the folks who had 30 years service with the company.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #20 of 21 Old Nov 1st, 2013, 6:07 am

Howard,

Just found out yesterday that I'm in the same boat - IT contract being terminated early. I hope this new opportunity works out for you, especially being closer to home.

For me, I'm hoping to use this opportunity to start a new business, based in part on some of what I was exposed to over the past year.

"Man makes plans, but God directs his path"

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #21 of 21 Old Nov 1st, 2013, 6:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
Howard,

Just found out yesterday that I'm in the same boat - IT contract being terminated early. I hope this new opportunity works out for you, especially being closer to home.

For me, I'm hoping to use this opportunity to start a new business, based in part on some of what I was exposed to over the past year.

"Man makes plans, but God directs his path"

Greg
Good luck to you. Hope your new venture gets up and running successfully.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in