BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

The Massacre.

962 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ibbones 
#1 ·
In a hurry to git over to Grif's place this morning, I flew by the Kendall County Fairgrounds and thought I caught a glimpse of a bunch of tents and some trailers being set up on the grounds. So, on my way back home this afternoon, I took a better look. Yup - they're here a day early, as usual.

The Valentine's Day Massacre Motorcycle Rally is once again being held in Boerne. Primarily a gig by the Gypsy Motorcycle club, butt all bike brands and colors seem to show up. About 4,000 bikes last year, I heard. And once again, they're gonna have really yucky weather. The field they use for vendor booths/tents/show trailers/18-wheelers/etc., turns into a muddy swamp after a short rain. It's happened the last coupla years. When they leave Sunday, there'll be plenty of tow vehicles and tractors to pull the stuck ones out. And the car washes will be doing a land-office bidness.

I live 4-5 blocks from the Fairgrounds and lemme tell ya, each morning of the rally, the aroma of sizzlin' bacon/sausage/ham and all the trimmin's is awesome. The scene down there is surreal, with campfire smoke swirlin' up thru the trees and the exhibitors opening up shop and the Honey Pots getting a workout and lotsa loud pipes warming up - all amidst the morning fog and folks practicin' their wake-up workouts.

For the most part, they police their own and cause no problems for the downtown merchants nor the local constabulary. They don't buy a lotta merchandise here (throw over bags don't hold just a bunch of souvenirs or antiques!! ;) ), butt I imagine they drop a fair amount of change to bolster the local economy at the cafes and restaurants, gas stations, car washes, Home Depot!!

Only person I know who has been before is Dave Moore, and IIRC, he said BTDT and bought a Tee - once!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been going to that rally since the early 1980's. I have really watched it grow in the last ten to fifteen years. It has been yucky weather for at least the last 20 years but I have always had a good time.

In 2004 we did not get to leave until early Saturday morning after a big ice freeze. Interstate 10 was CLOSED from loop 410 to about two miles North of 1604. We sat there in heavy traffic waiting for the ice to melt. It was cold but the sun was really beating down. It did warm up to almost 50* that day.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.